What to tell others when they ask

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

What to tell others when they ask

Postby spinner » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi Jeff. I was rereading your thread on why calling this way of eating "vegan" is not a good description. It sounded like you did not find WFPB or plant-based/strong/perfect good terms either. Most of my friends wouldn't know what these terms mean anyway. If someone asks me what kind of diet I'm following, is there a good and concise answer?

Many many thanks for teaching us with humor and patience.
spinner

Re: What to tell others when they ask

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am

spinner wrote:Hi Jeff. I was rereading your thread on why calling this way of eating "vegan" is not a good description. It sounded like you did not find WFPB or plant-based/strong/perfect good terms either. Most of my friends wouldn't know what these terms mean anyway. If someone asks me what kind of diet I'm following, is there a good and concise answer?

Great question.

I get that many of us want some concise way of explaining what we do, the problem is, there is no concise answer that describes what we do.

I even question why we want a label or why we have to have these discussions on what we eat at all. To do so is actually only a modern "luxury" in that we can pick and choose the foods we eat (and discuss and debate them). For most of our existence, we ate what we can find from what was available in our area. Granted, our modern toxic food environment has made the topic of value because there is so much CRAP out there but CRAP is not really food. Also, the label often acts as a "badge of honor" or as Doug would say, a modern signal or status symbol. And social media has turned a discussion that may have some value, into a circus.

No, I am not a fan of using the terms vegan (at all), WFPB, Plant Strong/Based/Perfect, Starch based, etc etc etc. The reason is, every single label you can come up with will always fall short and can be misinterpreted and bastardized. You can see it now with the term plant-based as it is has become a huge marketing term and being misused and misrepresented and appears all over junk-food. Same as with vegan but there is a trend away from the word vegan in the industry because of all the negative baggage that comes with it.

Plant-based describes a dietary pattern, diet, meal or a recipe where the majority of the calories in the diet, meal, or recipe comes from plants. That alone doesn't make it healthy. Also, if it is 100% plants, it is not plant-based, it is plants or plant-exclusive. A carrot is not plant-based. It is a plant. A meal that is 80% plants, is plant-based, but it doesn't mean it is healthy. For the record, the current American diet is "plant-based" as about 70% of the calories in it comes from plants, though mostly in the form of highly processed, extracted, refined, food products. But, they are from plants.

So is the issue "plants" or "plant-based' or much more then that?

Now, on occasion you may see me use one of the above terms here in this forums (though almost never vegan), as it is a simple way of using one word instead of 20 while communicating to someone I know who understands this. However, more often than not, I will respond to someone trying to learn this by saying, follow the recommended principles and guidelines.

This actually came up in the 10-Day program we just finished and we had a participant who kept asking what would be the best label.

After a few days I said, here it is, (which is really a compilation of my 5 principles)....

"I eat a diet that is based predominately on a variety of unprocessed and/or minimally processed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, roots/tuber, intact whole grains and legumes that is lower in calorie density, fat and saturated fat and contains little to no added salt, sugar or oils and adapted to my unique personal situation."

Of course, that only describes the food and not the rest of the "lifestyle" factors that go along with it like not smoking, not drinking, getting adequate activity/exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, getting adequate rest/relaxation, adequate sleep and maintaining emotional poise and a positive outlook.

See the problem?

May years back, a client told me the way they answered the question which I thought was great. When asked the question he said, "there is no simple answer, but if you would really like to know, let's make some time in the next few days where we could sit down and spend an hour or so together, and I would be glad to discuss it with you."

He said, no one ever took him up on the offer. :)

When the first McDougall book came out, he called it a "health supporting" diet which I thought was great. Of course, it left out the rest of the lifestyle. And, today, everyone thinks their diet is health supporting.

If you were to ask me today, I would say, "I follow a healthy diet and lifestyle." Period.

It is just not a conversation I have, nor is it one I recommend others have.

As a professional in the field, I use my principles & guidelines and apply them to the individual.

spinner wrote:Many many thanks for teaching us with humor and patience.

Thanks

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu May 23, 2019 5:15 pm

JeffN wrote:No, I am not a fan of vegan (at all), WFPB, Plant Strong/Based/Perfect, Starch based, etc etc etc. The reason is, every single label you can come up with will always fall short and can be misinterpreted and bastardized. You can see it now with the term plant-based as it is has become a huge marketing term and being misused and misrepresented and appears all over junk-food. Same as with vegan but there is a trend away from the word vegan because of all the negative baggage that comes with it.

As said, all labels, can (and will) be misused and confusing

Consumers are confused about the definition of plant-based, survey finds
By Jessi Devenyns
Published May 23, 2019
https://www.fooddive.com/news/consumers ... ds/555397/

"About 32% of those surveyed described a plant-based diet as vegan, while almost the same number (30%) described it as a diet that emphasizes minimally processed foods that come from plants. Another 20% thought it was a vegetarian diet, and 8% said the diet encouraged eating a maximum amount of fruits and vegetables with no limit on consuming animal meat, eggs and dairy."
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:55 am

JeffN wrote:

No, I am not a fan of vegan (at all), WFPB, Plant Strong/Based/Perfect, Starch based, etc etc etc. The reason is, every single label you can come up with will always fall short and can be misinterpreted and bastardized. You can see it now with the term plant-based as it is has become a huge marketing term and being misused and misrepresented and appears all over junk-food. Same as with vegan but there is a trend away from the word vegan because of all the negative baggage that comes with it.

Reese's calling its new peanut butter cups 'plant-based' is the clearest sign the term has lost all meaning

https://www.businessinsider.com/reeses- ... ess-2023-3
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD