Calorie restriction studies: "...get all their nutrients"

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Calorie restriction studies: "...get all their nutrients"

Postby Doug_ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Jeff, in your published video on dalorie density, during the part about calorie restriction studies on animals, you said that if they get all their nutrients, the calorie restricted animals would live longer.

What I'm curious about is what "get all their nutrients" means, and if the studies also included animals that may have gotten only 75% or only 50% of all their nutrients. My point being about whether the effect still should hold if an animal or human is getting more like as low as 50% (or even less) of the RDIs for some or all of the micronutrients needed, if a certain lack doesn't reduce the longevity. Do you know if this has been looked at?

In other words, do any of the studies suggest that even when the animals get less (or a lot less) than 100% of the RDI for many of the nutrients in their prescribed diet, if that hurts their longevity on average.
Doug_

Re: Calorie restriction studies: "...get all their nutrients

Postby JeffN » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:16 am

Maybe this will help you

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54530

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Calorie restriction studies: "...get all their nutrients

Postby Doug_ » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 am

JeffN wrote:Maybe this will help you

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54530

Thank you Jeff. I did see that before. It seems to be a fairly new idea and largely untested.

So you're not aware of any of the animal CR experiments with some of the groups consuming limited micronutrients, while others were fed the same calories with a more complete intake of micronutrients?
Doug_

Return to Jeff Novick, RD