Pre-loading: Start your meals with a soup, salad &/or fruit.

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pre-loading: Start your meals with a soup, salad &/or fruit.

Postby JeffN » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:21 am

The Principles of Calorie Density
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37450#p442418

2) Sequence Your Meals - Start all meals with a salad, soup and/or fruit. By starting with the foods that are lowest in calorie density, you begin to fill up for fewer calories.

The effect of preload/meal energy density on energy intake in a subsequent meal: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Rouhani MH, Surkan PJ, Azadbakht L.
Eat Behav. 2017 Jan 3;26:6-15. doi: 10.1016/j.eatbeh.2016.12.011. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
PMID: 28131006
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 5316301416

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
To conduct a systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of preload/meal energy density on energy intake in a subsequent meal(s).

METHODS:
Multiple databases were searched for studies published through December 2016 on the effects of preload/meal energy density on energy intake in a subsequent meal(s). We extracted information on mean energy intake in a subsequent meal(s) and on variables that could contribute to between-subject heterogeneity.

RESULTS:
Forty and Thirty nine eligible studies were identified for our systematic review and meta-analysis, respectively. The meta-analysis showed that preload/meal energy density did not affect energy intake in a subsequent meal(s) (95% CI:-21.21, 21.29). As heterogeneity was remarkable among studies, we stratified the studies by intervention type into "meal" or "preload" classifications. In the "preload" subgroup, studies used either fixed energy or fixed weight preloads. The results reveal that in comparison to a high energy-dense (HED) preload, consuming a low energy-dense (LED) preload with same weight resulted in higher energy intake in a subsequent meal (95% CI: 9.72, 56.19). On the other hand, decreased energy intake was observed after consuming an LED preload compared to after consumption of an HED preload with same energy content (95% CI: -138.71, -57.33). In the "meal" subgroup, studies were categorized by different subsequent meal (i.e., "afternoon or evening", "lunch" and "dinner or post-dinner"). Meta-analysis showed that an LED meal resulted in more energy intake only in afternoon or evening meals (95% CI: 14.82, 31.22).

CONCLUSION:
In summary, the current analysis revealed that we can restrict the energy intake by consuming an LED preload. Moreover, consuming an LED preload could favorably affect preload+meal energy intake.
JeffN

Re: Pre-loading: Start your meals with a soup, salad &/or fr

Postby geo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 am

Hey Jeff! I've always believed that starting a meal with an LED style food, such as a soup or salad or an apple is a good idea. But the wording in this study really confuses me and not sure what to make of it.

First it says:
The meta-analysis showed that preload/meal energy density did not affect energy intake in a subsequent meal(s)..

Which I interpret to mean niether and LED or HED meal made any difference in next meal energy density intake.

Then it says:
The results reveal that in comparison to a high energy-dense (HED) preload, consuming a low energy-dense (LED) preload with same weight resulted in higher energy intake in a subsequent meal...

Which i read to mean, if you eat an LED preload, your next meal would be at a higher energy intake? Thats not the same as the first statement and not what I would expect.

Then it says:
On the other hand, decreased energy intake was observed after consuming an LED preload compared to after consumption of an HED preload with same energy content ...

Which is just the oppisite of the previous sentence, but what I would expect??

Then it says:
Meta-analysis showed that an LED meal resulted in more energy intake only in afternoon or evening meals...

Which flops back to the second quote, though it indicates a time frame is important for the next meal?

Then in the conclusion:
In summary, the current analysis revealed that we can restrict the energy intake by consuming an LED preload. Moreover, consuming an LED preload could favorably affect...

It seems to flip back to the third qoute???? BTW, the conclusion was cut off...

So I'm reading 4 different messages in this study:
1. An LED/HED preload maked no difference in subsiquent meals
2. An LED preload made you eat an HED meal in next meal
3. An LED preload made you eat an LED meal in your next meal
4. An LED preload made you eat an HED meal only in afternoon or evening meal
5. An LED preload cam make you eat an LED subsiquent meal

Maybe its too early in the morning, my eyes are deceiving me, I don't know how to read english, or I'm just too dumb to understand... but this looks like a mess. I can only wonder what the commercial press would make of this study's write-up?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Pre-loading: Start your meals with a soup, salad &/or fr

Postby JeffN » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:36 am

Thats the problem with abstracts, especially in regard to meta-analysis

Also, one of the other problems with several of the studies on Calorie Density is the authors do not differentiate between the calories the come from beverages/liquids and the calories that come from solid food. This is an important difference and important to know when evaluating a study. The reasons is, we know, calories from liquids/beverages to not have the same impact on satiety for the same calories/calorie density. For example, an an apple and apple juice have the same calorie density, the apple consumed before a meal would generally help reduce calorie intake of a meal whereas consuming apple juice would tend to promote increased energy intake.

If you can't get access to the full study, let me know

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD