Potentially making it through D winter

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potentially making it through D winter

Postby Doug_ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20770&start=45#p212743
JeffN wrote:However, according to Dr. Michael Holick (one of our nations leading Vit D experts), as little as 5-10 minutes of sun exposure on arms and legs or face and arms three times weekly between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm during the spring, summer, and fall at 42 degrees latitude should provide a light-skinned individual with adequate vitamin D and allow for storage of any excess for use during the winter with minimal risk of skin damage.

Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency: what a pain it is. Mayo Clin Proc. 2003;78(12):1457-1459.

You said "for use during the winter", and I took that to mean retaining a sufficient amount during the winter. As far as I could tell the article did not mention making it through the winter at such a latitude with adequate levels without supplementation. Did Dr. Holick make this statement elsewhere? I'm unable to find it. Only statements of the percentage of those with deficiencies by the end of winter.

"Tangpricha et al reported that 32% of healthy young white men and women in Boston aged 18 to 29 years were vitamin D–deficient at the end of winter in 2003... Sullivan et al reported that 48% of girls in Maine aged 9 to 11 years were vitamin D–deficient at the end of winter in 2003."

Personally...

Starting in April 2016 we stopped taking vitamin D supplements as a personal experiment to see how well the sun does for us. 10-20 minutes (half that time per side) of midday swimsuit-body sun exposure, 2-4 times per week from April to September at 40 degrees latitude. My wife is of northern European ancestry, I'm of Ireland/England ancestry mostly. Weird Al sang a song about people like us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

As of October 25 2016:
Me: 65 ng/mL
Wife: 52 ng/mL

As of January 10 2017 (2.5 months later):
Me: 33 ng/mL (down 20 points, still optimal but getting down there)
Wife: 48 ng/mL (down 4 points, still optimal)
Doug_

Re: Potentially making it through D winter

Postby JeffN » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 am

I am not sure I understand your point or your question or your concern.

The statement comes from the referenced article

"Thus, exposure of hands, face, and arms or arms and legs to 25% of a minimal erythema dose (about 5-15 minutes between 11 AM and 2 PM in Boston) will provide an adequate amount of vitamin D."

If you are not familiar with my Vitamin D thread, I would recommend reviewing it along with the consensus statements and recommended blood levels

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20770

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD