Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less & Live Longer!

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby JeffN » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 pm

For a limited time, I am making the full DVD presentation, Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less & Live Longer, available for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg

(Updated Link)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less & Live Long

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 pm

That's Awesome Jeff; this is an amazing presentation! A must see and must share!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Partly Cloudy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 pm

hi Jeff,

You have a gift for making important information easy to understand and memorable. We laughed out loud a few times, too.

Thank you for sharing this!
Partly Cloudy

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fantastic free resource! Share it.
dailycarbs

Postby Patricia Ann » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:03 am

Just started watching this presentation after finding it on the Facebook page of Gustavo Tulsa (Starch Solution). It is absolutely brilliant!! Thank you so very much for sharing it with us so freely. I appreciate it and the information very much. Great factual information, delivered in such an easy to understand way and funny too. Thank you again Jeff :-)
Patricia Ann

Postby Kaye » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Thank you for posting the video , its the first time I've really understood calorie density and how to implement it into my daily diet. Gave me some real belly laughs too :D
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby OneLeggedPig » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:14 am

Thanks Jeff- it was great to see the full presentation. Really fantastic, it makes it all so clear. I've passed it on to a relative, I'm hoping it will help her properly "get it" after a few false-starts she's had.
OneLeggedPig

Postby erin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:09 am

I apologize if this has already been asked but I am wondering why tofu isn't included in the calorie density chart. It's around 350 calories a pound so it seems like it should be...
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
erin

Postby JeffN » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 am

erin wrote:I apologize if this has already been asked but I am wondering why tofu isn't included in the calorie density chart. It's around 350 calories a pound so it seems like it should be...

Good question.

Tofu (like the soy bean it is made from) is a high fat food (around 47%) and while it is lower in calorie density , it is limited on all programs and especially on the MWL because of its fat content.

Understand that while the MWL program is based on calorie density, calorie density is just a number and there are several other things that come into play, all of which impact “the passive overconsumption of calories,” which is the real issue. Some of the other issues include the percentage of fat, the amount of fiber/cal, the satiety per calorie, the degree of processing, liquids vs solid, etc, The two most important things in determining the passive overconsumption of calories are the calorie density and the percentage of fat of the food.

The higher the % fat, the more likely one is to overeat on a food. In addition, the higher percent of fat, the lower the satiety per calories as fat doesn’t trigger the satiety mechanisms. That’s the issue with tofu. It is very easy to overeat on due the very high percentage of fat and low satiety and amount of processing. All animals in nature will “passively over-consume calories” on high fat foods.

That is why on the MWL program, we not only avoid foods high in calorie density, we avoid foods high in fat. We also avoid liquid calories even though their calorie density is very low.

I hope that helps

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby erin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you, it does make sense now :).

~ Erin
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
erin

Postby ts971 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Hello Dr. Jeff. Thank you for an entertaining yet informative talk. My wife (46 y.o.) needs to gain weight. We really need to know How To Eat More, Gain Weight Safely & Live Longer! She has a fast metabolism, weighs 95 lbs and is 5' 4" and she has always complained about being bony. Both sides of our family are light framed. I finally got my wife to watch your Youtube video today, and she was impressed to ask me more.

Our family doctor says her weight is fine when weighed at the doctor's office. She is losing hope in the whole PBWF lifestyle because she has lost weight since she started in 2018. She cannot afford to lose weight, as she is currently breastfeeding and has done so throughout her time of going PBWF. But she often complains of still being hungry, but since we use Ad Libitum, there is plenty more for her late night hunger pangs.

Can you, or others in the board, suggest how to move forward and what should be her goal for safe daily caloric intake and from which of the groups mentioned in your talk, should those foods be coming?

Thank you, In Health.
ts971

Return to Jeff Novick, RD