Restaurant Cards

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Restaurant Cards

Postby JeffN » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 am

I tweeted the following link yesterday with my comments (In quotes)

"Now people can die of a vegan (junk food) diet." - Vegan Big Mac Sells Out at Canadian Barbecue Rib Festival
http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=8192&catId=1

There was some discussion in one of the McDougall FB groups on this and the question came up about how best to describe the diet to a service person at a restaurant. Vegan, No Oil, came up to which I responded, that is not enough as the above Big Mac, most likely would have passed. If it did have any oil, leaving it out would not have made a big difference. Vegan, No oil is not enough, which is the basis of my whole thread on , When Vegan is Not Enough.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36550

So, I said that when I was at Pritikin long ago, we handed out travel cards that were about the size of a business card that explained the key points of what we needed. They were available in about 10 languages. Might be a good idea. I'll see if I can find the old ones.

Which I then did and added...

I found some very old copies. They were available in multiple languages. They basically said (adopted to McDougall) in both the foreign language and in English...

How To Order Your Healthy Meal
(Show this to your waiter)

No meat, fish, chicken, dairy, eggs, oil, salt, sugar

Assorted steamed vegetables, starchy vegetables, whole grains and legumes please.

Thank you.

II would be interesting in seeing your suggestions on how you might adapt/edit these. It should be short, to the point and fit on a business card or a 3x5 card. If you have suggestions, please post and I can see about getting them made up for everyone.

Thanks
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Restaurant Cards

Postby Taggart » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:16 pm

If you scroll down in Dr. Esselstyn's "success stories" you'll see this regarding one of his original patient's, Anthony Yen.

"When traveling overseas, Yen now carries 3 by 5 inch cards, on which are translations of his diet, just in case a waiter or waitress does not understand his order."
Taggart

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:54 am

For those who may find this of value. Posted by a McDougaller from the June 2015 McDougall Program

Okay, travelers: For what it's worth, I used Google Translator to come up with this. The Chinese and Korean characters wouldn't cut-and-paste to Word so I lost those, but at least this is a start. Refinements forthcoming. Happy travels!

ENGLISH:
Yes: whole grains, legumes, beans, starchy vegetables, vegetables.

No: meat, fish, chicken, dairy, eggs, salt, oil, sugar.

Thank you.

GERMAN:
Ja: Vollkornprodukte , Hülsenfrüchte , Bohnen, stärkehaltiges Gemüse, Gemüse.

No: Fleisch, Fisch, Huhn, Milchprodukte , Eier , Salz, Öl , Zucker.

Vielen Dank.

FRENCH:
Oui: les grains entiers , les légumineuses , les haricots , les légumes féculents. les légumes.

Non: la viande , le poisson , le poulet , les produits laitiers , les œufs , le sel , l'huile , le sucre .

Je vous remercie.

CHINESE:
Shì: Quán gǔlèi, dòu lèi, dòu lèi, gēnjīng lèi shūcài.

Biānhào: Ròu, yú, jīròu, niúnǎi, jīdàn, yán, yóu, táng.

Xièxiè.

SPANISH:
Sí: cereales integrales, legumbres , frijoles, vegetales con almidón, vegetales..

No: carne, pescado , pollo , productos lácteos , huevos, sal , aceite, azúcar .

Gracias.

KOREAN:
ye: jeonche gogmul , kong , kong, nogmal yachae, yachae.

beonho: gogi, saengseon , dalg-gogi, yujepum , gyelan , sogeum , gileum, seoltang .

gomabseubnida
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:33 am

From the Pritikin Longevity Center

JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:43 pm

In the Dining Out class I teach at the McDougall Program (and used to teach at the Pritikin Program), I have always said, that Ruth’s Chris is my favorite vegan/healthy restaurant. You can see why based on this email I received today from a participant at a recent 10-Day program who took me up on my recommendation.

“Hello Jeff,

We had an occasion to celebrate my birthday and following your example in getting a real treat at Ruth’s Chris steak House on San Diego waterfront. It was as good as you recommended - 100% plant-based and oil free. The waiter told us this is the very first time that he had anybody request a meal with no dairy no oil no processed food - they were delighted to accommodate us - it was as good as you said it would be. The presentation was really beautiful. On either side of the baked potato we had steamed broccoli and steamed asparagus and some great balsamic vinegar for the potato. Thanks for your suggestion and we will be back there soon.”

PS: You can also get a great salad to begin with and a bowl of fresh berries for dessert. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD