My Guidelines For Evaluating The New Nutrition Facts Label

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Guidelines For Evaluating The New Nutrition Facts Label

Postby JeffN » Mon May 23, 2016 6:36 am

The FDA updated the Nutrition Facts label for packaged foods.

(UPDATE - The whole situation is a little messed up because originally, the new labels were supposed to be mandatory for all companies August 2018. A few companies starting releasing the new label to try and meet the July 2018 deadline. However, the food industry petitioned to have the implementation date extended and it is now 2020 and 2021 for smaller food companies. That means, you will see both labels out there for almost 2 years)

- The good news...

the new label will list "added sugars" in grams.

- The bad news...

they will remove "calories from fat" from the new label.

Here is the press release on it

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 502182.htm

Here is a graphic of the new and old label

My guidelines for evaluating products still apply. There are just two adjustments that need to be made.

So, lets review the 2 changes that impact the guidelines; the calories from fat and the calories from added sugars

1) Check the calories from fat

The guideline for fat on a package product is no more then 20%. There are two ways to calculate "percent calories from fat" on the new label...

Method A

Multiply grams of fat per serving x 9 = calories from fat per serving.

[NOTE: To make it easier, you can multiply the grams of fat by 10 (instead of 9) as most of the numbers are averages and rounded off anyway. If you check a few labels, you will see that because of that, the calories from fat listed on the label is often rounded off to 10x the grams of fat listed on the label. So, using 10 isn't perfect but it is easier and most of the time, works out just fine.]

Using the sample new label above, if the product has 230 calories per serving, then 20% will be 46. The label shows 8 gm of fat. 8 x9 =72, which is greater then the 46 that would be allowed, so this product would fail. (If you do this multiplying the grams of fat x 10, we get the same result).

Method B)

Use the chart below

There is a direct relationship between the "calories per serving" and the "grams of fat" and we can just use those two numbers instead of multiplying "grams of fat" x 9.

Here are the numbers, which you can make into a pocket card to carry with you.

The number of the left is "calories per serving" and the number on the right is the guideline for the maximum amount of fat in grams (which would equate to 20% calories from fat)

Calories per serving - Grams of fat
25 calories - </= .5
50 Calories - </- 1 gm
75 Calories - </= 1.5 gm
100 calories - </= 2 gm
125 calories - </= 2.5 gm
150 Calories - </= 3 gm
175 Calories - </= 4 gm
200 calories - </= 4.5 gm
225 calories - </= 5.0 gm
250 calories - </= 5.5 gm
275 calories - </= 6.0 gm
300 calories - </= 6.5 gm
325 calories - </= 7.0 gm
350 calories - </= 7.5 gm
375 calories - </= 8.0 gm
400 Calories - </= 8.5 gm
425 calories - </= 8.5 gm
450 calories - </= 9.0 gm
475 calories - </= 9.5 gm
500 calories - </= 10 gm

2) Check the added sugars.

The guideline for added sugars on a package product is no more then 10%.

The new Nutrition Facts Label lists added sugars.

While the old method was helpful, it was not very accurate. However, we have used in for 3 decades and not everyone wants to do more math to figure out the label. So, if you are comfortable with the old system, you can stick to it. To review, check the ingredients and make sure there are no added sugars listed in the first 3 ingredients.

For those who want more math :)

Method A)

First, find the value for "calories per serving." Multiply this number by 10%. This number is your maximum amount of allowable calories from added sugar.

Now find the value for "added sugar" and multiply it by 4 (as there are 4 calories per gram of sugar). This number should be equal to or less then the maximum allowable calories from added sugar.

EXAMPLE

The total calories on the above label are 230 per serving. 230 x 10% equals 23

The maximum amount of allowable calories from added sugar is 23

The amount of added sugar is 10 grams. 10 x 4 = 40 which is almost 2x the maximum amount allowed.

Method B)

Use the chart below

There is also a way to evaluate a product for added sugars just using the calories per serving and the grams of sugar (similar to the above chart for calories from fat).

The number on the left is "calories per serving" and the number on the right is the guideline for the maximum amount of added sugars in grams (which would equate to </= 10% calories from added sugars)

Calories per serving -- grams of Added Sugar

25-- </= 0.5
50-- </= 1.0
75-- </= 1.5
100-- </= 2.0
125-- </= 2.5
150-- </= 3.0
175-- </= 3.5
200-- </= 4.0
225-- </= 4.5
250-- </= 5.0
275-- </= 5.5
300-- </= 6.0
325-- </= 6.5
350-- </= 7.0
375-- </= 7.5
400-- </= 8.0
425-- </= 8.5
450-- </= 9.0
475-- </= 9.5
500-- </= 10

Remember, keep the use of packaged/processed foods that have to be evaluated to a bare minimum.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: My Guidelines For Evaluating The New Nutrition Facts Lab

Postby JeffN » Mon May 23, 2016 1:11 pm

I was asked the following question on FB today and thought the response would be of value here. I fine tuned my response before posting it.

The question was, can you calculate calorie density using the Nutrition Facts label.

My answer...

Calorie density is a little harder to calculate and sometimes, does not work properly because to get the proper calorie density of a food we calculate it "as consumed" and not all products we buy (even healthy ones) are in the that form. For instance, if you calculate the Calorie Density of a bag or box of whole grain brown rice, it will fail, because the water had not been added to it yet and so appears to be much higher in CD.

The actual way is to divide the calories per serving by the grams per serving and then multiply the answer by 454

So if the calories per serving are 250 and the grams per serving are 50 we divide 250 by 50 (250/50) = 5. Times 5 x 454 = 2270. That would be high in calorie density.

However, if you are interested, here is a quick Rule of Thumb for calculating calorie density on a packaged product.

Since a pound is 454 grams, if any products calorie value is equal to or less than its serving weight in grams, its calorie density is 454 cal/lb or less.

Here are my categories...
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ition.html

My lowest category is </= ~400 calories per pound.
"Eat Freely"
So, if the calories per serving are </= the grams per serving, the food would be </= 454 cal/lb.
Close enough. :)

My next category is from ~400 - ~800 calories/lb.
"Eat Relatively Large Portions Without Concern"
If we use a guideline of 1.5, this would be 681 cal/lb.
So, if the calories per serving are between 1 - 1.5x the grams per serving, the food would be between 454 -681 cal/lb.

My next category is from ~800 - ~1400 calories/lb.
"Limit These Foods"
If we use a guideline of 1.5 - 3, this would be about 681-1362 calories/lb.
So, if the calories per serving are between 1.5 - 3x the grams per serving, the food would be between 681-1362 cal/lb.

My next category is over 1400 calories/lb.
"Limit (or Avoid) These Foods"
If we use a guideline of >3, this would be >1362 calories/lb.
So, if the calories per serving are greater then 3x the grams per serving, the food would be over 1362 cal/lb.
Close enough. ;)

Anything over 3 would limited.

There is also a solution to foods that are cooked with water. Running some examples, the average change in calorie density in dry whole grains and beans to cooked whole grains and beans is about 3x.

Beans, kidney, red, cooked, boiled - 576.6 cal/lb
Beans, kidney, red, raw - 1530.0 cal/lb

Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked - 503.9 cal/lb
Rice, brown, long-grain, raw - 1679.8 cal/lb

So, if we divide the calorie density of dry beans or whole grains by 3, we get a more realistic estimate of the products calorie density, as consumed.

While some of this is a little complicated and uses a fair amount of math, it is not necessary at all and i do not recommend using it, as one could easily and successfully follow the MWL plan by simply following the general rules and avoiding most all packaged products except my 10 Healthiest Packaged Products (except for nuts and dried fruit).

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... Foods.html

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

JeffN wrote:The question was, can you calculate calorie density using the Nutrition Facts label.

While some of this is a little complicated and uses a fair amount of math, it is not necessary as one could easily and successfully follow the MWL plan by simply following the general rules and avoiding most all packaged products except my 10 Healthiest Packaged Products.

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entries/2010/3/11_The_10_Healthiest_Packaged_Foods.html

In Health
Jeff

The topic of the new food label came up on FB and social media today and apparently some are trying to use a formula for calculating calorie density on the food label.

A few things from my (30 years of teaching calorie density) perspective....

1) Calorie density is about a concept, not a number. Anytime anyone asks me what the calorie density (number) of a food is, I tell them they are missing the point and principle of calorie density. Just know which foods (in general) are low, medium, high and very high and adjust your plate accordingly.

2) If numbers did matter, trying to figure calorie density on food labels doesn’t really work because calorie density is calculated on food “as it is consumed” and many packaged foods have to be prepared/cooked etc before consuming. This can change the calorie density about 3x (up or down) from what’s calculated on the label.

3) We have to accept that almost all packaged processed/processed foods are calorie dense, so by trying to calculate calorie density on packaged foods, is really missing the point. We don’t need exact numbers. We only need to know the general guidelines and principles and that most all packaghed/processsed foods are calorie dense. If you use packaged foods, you are only trying to find the ones that are the least harmful choice. We know they are calorie dense, so we are looking at the fat, sugar and salt to find the least harmful.

This is why I said above...

While some of this is a little complicated and uses a fair amount of math, it is not necessary as one could easily and successfully follow the MWL plan by simply following the general rules and avoiding most all packaged products except my 10 Healthiest Packaged Products.

Remember, calorie density is most often used in regard to weight loss. That already eliminates most all calorie dense foods, packaged foods, etc just by following the principles of the MWL plan (and my calorie density principles). Virtually all foods that are MWL approved are low in calorie density and do not need to be calculated

We are trying to make this as simple as possible, don’t complicate it. :)

In Health
Jeff

PS for the record, can someone give me an example of how calculating calorie density on a food label made a difference?
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:22 am

It is now official. The new Nutrition Facts Label is out and companies, depending on their size, have between January 1, 2020 and July 1, 2020 to have it on their products.

Here is the official announcement from the FDA

"Manufacturers with $10 million or more in annual sales must switch to the new label by January 1, 2020; manufacturers with less than $10 million in annual food sales have until January 1, 2021 to comply. The FDA plans to work cooperatively with manufacturers to meet the new Nutrition Facts label requirements. Manufacturers of most single-ingredient sugars such as honey and maple syrup and certain cranberry products have until July 1, 2021 to make the changes. Manufacturers of certain flavored dried cranberries have until July 1, 2020 to make the changes."

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling- ... acts-label

So, lets review the 2 changes that impact the guidelines; the calories from fat and the calories from added sugars

1) Check the calories from fat

The guideline for fat on a package product is no more then 20%. There are two ways to calculate "percent calories from fat" on the new label...

Method A

Multiply grams of fat per serving x 9 = calories from fat per serving.

[NOTE: To make it easier, you can multiply the grams of fat by 10 (instead of 9) as most of the numbers are averages and rounded off anyway. If you check a few labels, you will see that because of that, the calories from fat listed on the label is often rounded off to 10x the grams of fat listed on the label. So, using 10 isn't perfect but it is easier and most of the time, works out just fine.]

Using the sample new label above, if the product has 230 calories per serving, then 20% will be 46. The label shows 8 gm of fat. 8 x9 =72, which is greater then the 46 that would be allowed, so this product would fail. (If you do this multiplying the grams of fat x 10, we get the same result).

Method B)

Use the chart below

There is a direct relationship between the "calories per serving" and the "grams of fat" and we can just use those two numbers instead of multiplying "grams of fat" x 9.

Here are the numbers, which you can make into a pocket card to carry with you.

The number of the left is "calories per serving" and the number on the right is the guideline for the maximum amount of fat in grams (which would equate to </= 20% calories from fat)

Calories per serving - Grams of fat
25 calories - </= .5
50 Calories - </- 1 gm
75 Calories - </= 1.5 gm
100 calories - </= 2 gm
125 calories - </= 2.5 gm
150 Calories - </= 3 gm
175 Calories - </= 4 gm
200 calories - </= 4.5 gm
225 calories - </= 5.0 gm
250 calories - </= 5.5 gm
275 calories - </= 6.0 gm
300 calories - </= 6.5 gm
325 calories - </= 7.0 gm
350 calories - </= 7.5 gm
375 calories - </= 8.0 gm
400 Calories - </= 8.5 gm
425 calories - </= 8.5 gm
450 calories - </= 9.0 gm
475 calories - </= 9.5 gm
500 calories - </= 10 gm

Method C

For those who don't mind a little math, there is a very easy way. There is a direct relationship between calories, calories from fat and grams of fat. If we look at the calories per serving and instead of calculated 20%, we can just calculate 2%. That would give us the maximum amount of grams from fat per serving that I would allow.

So, if the calories are 100 per serving, 2% of 100 is 2 so the maximum amount of fat grams per serving is 2. If it was 230 calories per serving, 2% of 230 is 4.6, so 4.6 is the maximum allowable amount of fat grams per 230 calories.

For those following who are not good at math, to get to 2%, just take 1% of the calories which you do by moving the decimal place 2 spots to the left. Then double the number. So, using 230 calories again. 1% would be 2.3 and 2% would be 4.6.

2) Check the added sugars.

The old method....

Check the ingredients and make sure there are no added sugars listed in the first 3 ingredients.

While the old method was helpful, it was not very accurate. However, we have used in for 3 decades and not everyone wants to do more math to figure out the label. So, if you are comfortable with the old system, you can stick to it.

For those who want more math :)

Method A)

First, find the value for "calories per serving." Multiply this number by 10%. This number is your maximum amount of allowable calories from added sugar.

Now find the value for "added sugar" and multiply it by 4 (as there are 4 calories per gram of sugar). This number should be equal to or less then the maximum allowable calories from added sugar.

EXAMPLE

The total calories on the above label are 230 per serving. 230 x 10% equals 23

The maximum amount of allowable calories from added sugar is 23

The amount of added sugar is 10 grams. 10 x 4 = 40 which is almost 2x the maximum amount allowed.

Method B)

Use the chart below

There is also a way to evaluate a product for added sugars just using the calories per serving and the grams of sugar (similar to the above chart for calories from fat).

The number on the left is "calories per serving" and the number on the right is the guideline for the maximum amount of added sugars in grams (which would equate to </= 10% calories from added sugars)

Calories per serving -- grams of Added Sugar

25-- </= 0.5
50-- </= 1.0
75-- </= 1.5
100-- </= 2.0
125-- </= 2.5
150-- </= 3.0
175-- </= 3.5
200-- </= 4.0
225-- </= 4.5
250-- </= 5.0
275-- </= 5.5
300-- </= 6.0
325-- </= 6.5
350-- </= 7.0
375-- </= 7.5
400-- </= 8.0
425-- </= 8.5
450-- </= 9.0
475-- </= 9.5
500-- </= 10

Method C

For those who don't mind a little math, there is a very easy way. There is a direct relationship between calories, calories from sugar and grams of sugar. If we look at the calories per serving and instead of calculated 10%, we can just calculate 2%. That would give us the maximum amount of grams from sugar per serving that I would allow.

So, if the calories are 100 per serving, 2% of 100 is 2 so the maximum amount of sugars per serving is 2 grams . If it was 230 calories per serving, 2% of 230 is 4.6, so 4.6 is the maximum allowable amount of grams of sugar per 230 calories.

For those following who are not good at math, to get to 2%, just take 1% of the calories which you do by moving the decimal place 2 spots to the left. Then double the number. So, using 230 calories again. 1% would be 2.3 and 2% would be 4.6.

Remember, keep the use of packaged/processed foods that have to be evaluated to a bare minimum.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:16 am

Here is a “cheat sheet” you can print out and carry with you (or keep loaded on your phone) to help navigate the new Nutrition Facts Labels. Numbers are rounded off (and down) to make the math and the overall system easier

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD