Homemade Potato Chips

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Homemade Potato Chips

Postby openmind » Tue May 12, 2015 9:22 am

Jeff,

First of all thank you very much for all that you do. Your Fast Food Vol. 1 and Calorie Density DVDs have helped me immensely.

I think I understand the principles of calorie density fairly well, but once in a while there is an item where I get fooled upon, or perhaps deliberately fool myself upon.

I've seen a few McDougallers on Facebook and maybe even on this forum tout the benefits of a homemade potato chip makers, which allows you to make potato chips without any added oil in the microwave. Without thinking things through, I bought one and started to make my own potato chips this last weekend.

However, it wasn't until I made several batches that I realized that the calorie density of these chips, though more favorable than store-bought chips, might still be outside the parameters of the McDougall program. My big clue was that my daughter kept asking me to make more and more- she never does that when I make boiled potatoes and offer them to her.

The best clue I could find was a link on the Pritikin website that lists fat free potato chips as having a calorie density of 1,600-1,750 calories per pound. Would you consider the homemade potato chips to be around that range? If that is so, I want to make sure I limit the amount of these chips I make and keep around the house.
openmind

Re: Homemade Potato Chips

Postby JeffN » Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 am

openmind wrote: Jeff, First of all thank you very much for all that you do. Your Fast Food Vol. 1 and Calorie Density DVDs have helped me immensely.

Thank you.

openmind wrote:I think I understand the principles of calorie density fairly well, but once in a while there is an item where I get fooled upon, or perhaps deliberately fool myself upon.

However, it wasn't until I made several batches that I realized that the calorie density of these chips, though more favorable than store-bought chips, might still be outside the parameters of the McDougall program.

I think you mean the Maximum Weight Loss Program as the regular program is more liberal about these kind of foods.

openmind wrote:My big clue was that my daughter kept asking me to make more and more- she never does that when I make boiled potatoes and offer them to her.

Good clue. They are much less satiating per calorie and per chip so someone must eat more, often much more (calories) to be as satiated.

openmind wrote:The best clue I could find was a link on the Pritikin website that lists fat free potato chips as having a calorie density of 1,600-1,750 calories per pound. Would you consider the homemade potato chips to be around that range? If that is so, I want to make sure I limit the amount of these chips I make and keep around the house.

It depends on how thick you slice them and how crisp you make them. The thinner they are and the crisper they are, the drier they will be. This would increase the calorie density as increased water content is the main factor lowering calorie density.

Many people make them because they like the crispness and the crunch and, without realizing it (as you have seen), that because of their increased calorie density, they are more likely to trigger the pleasure trap.

There is a way you can tell, though it takes some work. Weigh the potatoes before you cook them and then weigh them afterwards. The calories would be about the same but the difference in weight would be the water loss and would increase the calorie density accordingly

For instance,

A raw potato is about 350 cal/lb
A boiled potato is about 395 cal/lnb
A baked potato is about 422 cal/lb

As you can see, the more we cook it, and the drier it gets, the more the calorie density goes up. The difference in these numbers (350-422) will not matter. However, slice them thin and cook them crisp, and, as you saw, the calorie density can go up to 1500 cal/lb and more.

The thinner they are, and the crisper you cook them, the drier they are (as cooking decreases water content) & the more likely they are to be in the range you saw at the Pritikin website.

This is why when I make them, I slice them very thick, about 3/8" or more and just lightly brown them on each side under a broiler. This keeps them moist and chewy but lower in calorie density. I call them Chubby Chips.

Here is the recipe and a picture of them...

https://www.facebook.com/JeffNovickRD/p ... 25/?type=1

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby openmind » Fri May 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Thank you very much Jeff. I do try in general to stay close to MWL guidelines, because I tend to gain weight very quickly when I go up the calorie density scale. So sometimes I confuse the MWL guidelines with the general guidelines.

I will try the chips the way you make them, but also view homemade chips as an occasional treat (for a Sunday picnic, for example) rather than something to snack on everyday.

For everyday snacking, I will stick to boiled and baked potatoes, carrot sticks, etc.
openmind

Postby JeffN » Wed May 27, 2015 11:24 am

openmind wrote: Thank you very much Jeff. I do try in general to stay close to MWL guidelines, because I tend to gain weight very quickly when I go up the calorie density scale. So sometimes I confuse the MWL guidelines with the general guidelines.

There are many here who find it easier to lose &/or maintain their by weight by following the MWL program always or at least most of the time.

openmind wrote: I will try the chips the way you make them, but also view homemade chips as an occasional treat (for a Sunday picnic, for example) rather than something to snack on everyday.

For everyday snacking, I will stick to boiled and baked potatoes, carrot sticks, etc.

Sounds like a plan!

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun May 03, 2020 1:18 pm

I was asked about “scorched” rice, which I guess is making the rounds.

Very similar scenario as to the microwaved/baked potato chips.

To “scorch” the rice, the rice has to be cooked more (another 10-15 minutes), and to “scorch” or brown it, it has to also dry out more. So the layer of scorched rice will have less water content.

The sources I have seen that list nutrition values have it around 1200-1700 calories per pound.

I’m not surprised

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD