Compliance on a Healthy Diet

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: RE: Compliance

Postby MikeyG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff.

The social pressure does seem to be a major roadblock for many on an optimally healthy program, like the one you recommend. The negative influence of this pressure does seem to further underscore the need to promote major societal changes to make these recommendations sustainable, especially for a larger population.

However, your additional insight, especially the importance of resisting social pressures while being open to credible information, seems to fully correspond with your "Secrets to Success" message that originated back in 1999. (viewtopic.php?p=104803#p104803)

It is definitely comforting to know that your evidence-based messages tend to do very well over time :)

Thanks, again, for all the support. Please have a wonderful day.
MikeyG

Re: Compliance on a Healthy Diet

Postby JeffN » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:43 am

JeffN wrote:This is why I say that the single most important issue to the success of this movement to the individual and to the population is not whether the program works or not, but how to create a culture and an environment that supports these changes so they can be replicable, applicable and sustainable in the world. Otherwise, there is no way this will ever become anything more than a program for those few who are really motivated to do it.

This report came out today and I think it is excellent. It also makes the point that I am making above. Personal responsibility is important however, it is not enough on its own. The environment and society are also very important.

In Health
Jeff

Report| McKinsey Global Institute
How the world could better fight obesity
November 2014 | by Richard Dobbs, Corinne Sawers, Fraser Thompson, James Manyika, Jonathan Woetzel, Peter Child, Sorcha McKenna, and Angela Spatharou

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/econom ... ht_obesity

The main findings of this discussion paper include:

- Existing evidence indicates that no single intervention is likely to have a significant overall impact. A systemic, sustained portfolio of initiatives, delivered at scale, is needed to reverse the health burden. Almost all the identified interventions (Exhibit 2) are cost effective for society—savings on healthcare costs and higher productivity could outweigh the direct investment required by the intervention when assessed over the full lifetime of the target population. In the United Kingdom, for instance, such a program could reverse rising obesity, saving the National Health Service about $1.2 billion a year.

- Education and personal responsibility are critical elements of any program aiming to reduce obesity, but they are not sufficient on their own. Other required interventions rely less on conscious choices by individuals and more on changes to the environment and societal norms. They include reducing default portion sizes, changing marketing practices, and restructuring urban and education environments to facilitate physical activities.

- No individual sector in society can address obesity on its own—not governments, retailers, consumer-goods companies, restaurants, employers, media organizations, educators, healthcare providers, or individuals. Capturing the full potential impact requires engagement from as many sectors as possible. Successful precedents suggest that a combination of top-down corporate and government interventions, together with bottom-up community-led ones, will be required to change public-health outcomes. Moreover, some kind of coordination will probably be required to capture potentially high-impact industry interventions, since any first mover faces market-share risks.

- Implementing an obesity-abatement program on the required scale will not be easy. We see four imperatives: (1) as many interventions as possible should be deployed at scale and delivered effectively by the full range of sectors in society; (2) understanding how to align incentives and build cooperation will be critical to success; (3) there should not be an undue focus on prioritizing interventions, as this can hamper constructive action; and (4) while investment in research should continue, society should also engage in trial and error, particularly where risks are low.

Here is another recent one

Clues to Maintaining Calorie Restriction? Psychosocial Profiles of Successful Long-term Restrictors.

Belsky AC1, Epel ES2, Tomiyama AJ3.
Appetite. 2014 Apr 16. pii: S0195-6663(14)00171-8.
doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2014.04.006. [Epub ahead of print]

To combat the obesity epidemic, intervention and clinical efforts often recommend low-calorie dieting. Calorie restriction (CR) as a weight intervention, however, is often unsuccessful, as most people cannot sustain the behavior. Yet one small group has maintained extreme CR over years-members of the CR Society and followers of The CR Way. This study examined stable psychosocial characteristics of these individuals to identify traits that may promote success at long-term CR. In 65 participants, we measured diet, eating behaviors, and personality traits comparing calorie restrictors to two age-, gender-, ethnicity-, and education-matched comparison groups (normal weight and overweight/obese). We first tested whether the CR group restricted calories without indications of eating disorder pathology, and second, what crystallized psychosocial characteristics set them apart from their non-restricting comparisons. Results indicated the CR group averaged 10 years of CR but scored lower than comparison groups on measures of disordered eating (p < .001) and psychopathology (p < .001). Particularly against overweight/obese participants, CR participants scored lower on neuroticism (p < .04) and hostility (p < .01), and were stronger in future time orientation (p <.05).
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 am

I think this thread adds a few more important points

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36805&p=373938

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Another report that highlights the importance of our environment and society in supporting these changes and how hard it is for many to make these changes. It also points out that in spite of all that has happened in the last few years, the number of those who call themselves vegetarians/vegans remains very low and has not grown very much if at all.

Original report

HRC Study of Current and Former Vegetarians and Vegans
http://www.humaneresearch.org/2014vegstudy

How Many Former Vegetarians Are There?
http://www.humaneresearch.org/content/h ... -are-there

From the report...

Advocates Need to Focus on Retention

This groundbreaking study provides a clarion call for advocates to think more about retention and supporting and retaining new vegetarians/vegans as they face any of a number of challenges. In fact, targeted outreach focused on lapsed vegetarians/vegans may itself prove to be fruitful. More than a third (37%) of former vegetarians/vegans say they are interested in re-adopting the diet. That equates to almost 4% of the adult population in the U.S. and, if converted, this would triple the number of actual vegetarians/vegans in the country.

Advocates should acknowledge and address the difficulties faced by former (and current) vegetarians/vegans. For instance, a large majority of former vegetarians/vegans (63%) said that they disliked that their diet made them stick out from the crowd; 41% of current vegetarians/vegans also agree with this statement. Similarly, a majority of former vegetarians/vegans (58%) did not see the diet as part of their identity.

How do we connect with and support former vegetarians/vegans and other receptive audiences? Once again, many of them say they are most likely to be motivated by health. We need to help them make positive, healthful decisions including giving specific advice, such as taking vitamin B12 supplements. We need to teach them how to live with non-vegetarians. And we need to encourage people to consider the other reasons for being vegetarian/vegan to help motivate them to sustain the positive dietary choice.

Infographic
http://www.humaneresearch.org/content/i ... iansvegans

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:11 pm

In Dr Esselstyn's group, and in many of the other programs including the 10-Day McDougall Program, spouses and partners are encouraged to attend, as having their support is important to longterm compliance.

In Health
jeff

The Influence of Partner's Behavior on Health Behavior Change: The English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
Jackson SE, Steptoe A, Wardle J.
JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Jan 19. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.7554. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID:25599511

ABSTRACT

Importance

Couples are highly concordant for unhealthy behaviors, and a change in one partner’s health behavior is often associated with a change in the other partner’s behavior. However, no studies have explicitly compared the influence of having a partner who takes up healthy behavior (eg, quits smoking) with one whose behavior is consistently healthy (eg, never smokes).

Objective

To examine the influence of partner’s behavior on making positive health behavior changes.

Design, Setting, and Participants

We used prospective data from married and cohabiting couples (n, 3722) participating in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing, a large population-based cohort of older adults (=/>50 years). Studying men and women who had unhealthy behaviors in 3 domains at baseline (ie, smoking, physically inactive, or overweight/obese), we used logistic regression analysis to examine the influence of the partner’s behavior in the same domain on the odds of positive health behavior change over time.

Main Outcomes and Measures

Smoking cessation, increased physical activity, and 5% weight loss or greater.

Results

Across all domains, we found that when one partner changed to a healthier behavior (newly healthy), the other partner was more likely to make a positive health behavior change than if their partner remained unhealthy (smoking: men 48% vs 8%, adjusted odds ratio [OR], 11.82 [95% CI, 4.84-28.90]; women 50% vs 8%, OR, 11.23 [4.58-27.52]) (physical activity: men 67% vs 26%, OR, 5.28 [3.70-7.54]; women 66% vs 24%, OR, 5.36 [3.74-7.68]) (weight loss: men 26% vs 10%, OR, 3.05 [1.96-4.74]; women 36% vs 15%, OR, 3.08 [1.98-4.80]). For smoking and physical activity, having a consistently healthy partner also predicted positive change, but for each domain, the odds were significantly higher in individuals with a newly healthy partner than those with a consistently healthy partner (smoking: men OR, 3.08 [1.43-6.62]; women OR, 5.45 [2.44-12.16]) (physical activity: men OR, 1.92 [1.37-2.70]; women OR, 1.84 [1.33-2.53]) (weight loss: men OR, 2.28 [1.36-3.84]; women OR, 2.86 [1.55-5.26]).

Conclusions and Relevance

Men and women are more likely to make a positive health behavior change if their partner does too, and with a stronger effect than if the partner had been consistently healthy in that domain. Involving partners in behavior change interventions may therefore help improve outcomes.
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 pm

I received the following message from a forum member today and thought it would be of great value for others too in regard to compliance so I asked if I could share it in the forum, to which they agreed.

I hope you find it of value too.

In health
Jeff

Jeff Novick,

My husband and I went to the McDougall live in course one year ago. Since that time, we have really tried to follow this way of eating. We have continued eating this way, while travelling in a small camper (Road Trek) and while travelling on a boat. We continued eating this way while on a trip to Spain (a very meat based country) and in England. We continued eating this way while having to stay with family members who do not follow this way of eating (and in some cases are quite opposed to it) My husband has continued to follow a starch based diet while attending business functions where no one else eats this way. The most difficult thing for us has been to avoid oil and salt when eating in restaurants. We do the best we can, but we often find that the food contains at least some salt and oil.

I have seen many of your posts about how difficult it is for people to be compliant. Many people claim to have some kind of awakening, after attending a lecture or seeing a documentary and then a few months later are back to their old habits and I wanted to tell you some of things that have helped us to stick to this way of eating. Becoming convinced of the science behind the diet was only the beginning as you have often noted. Sticking with the diet is the most difficult thing.

First of all, I want to thank you for your help in our being able to stick with this way of eating. At one time I was as confused as most people seem to be. It seemed a waste of time to even try and eat healthy as the constant “news” articles all seemed to contradict each other any way. Now, I ignore all of the news articles, and figure that I only need to pay attention if you, or John McDougall or Colin Campbell or Caldwell Esselsytn say that the article is worth considering. It is an enormous help to feel that I have found mentors that are reviewing the research and trying to give people the best and most useful information.

We use your method of label reading all the time. It is particularly helpful when travelling and when trying to make quick healthy meals that I know what short cuts (frozen vegetables, no salt canned tomatoes, quick brown rice, etc) that I can take and still be eating healthfully. One of the things that you said at the course stands out particularly for me. It was during a question and answer session after one of your talks. And a number of people, including us, were saying “yes, but …” and you finally said something to the effect that there would be times it would not be easy but that if one wanted to do this, with planning, it was always possible. If we weren’t interested in planning, then it wasn’t going to work!

I follow your posts and Dr. McDougall’s on the McDougall facebook group. Awhile back, you posted something about compliance. A woman who was at one of the McDougall live-in courses and who had been compliant for 30 years was asked for her tips. Keeping it simple and not caring what others thought. These two tips have been incredibly helpful for me. At the beginning of following this way of eating, I was complicating things. If I had kept on making the diet complicated, I would have likely given up by this point. I would have just found it much too difficult. Now, I remember that John McDougall said you can be very healthy just eating potatoes for a long time—-and just add a bit of greens and that’s even better.

Also, it is very helpful to understand that you have to give up caring what other people think. A lot of people do not want to change their way of eating and there is no point in arguing or trying to convince them, but I do not have to join them in what they are eating either. I now think that eating unhealthy food because someone else wants me to eat it would be about the same as smoking cigarettes because someone wants me to keep them company and feel better about their smoking habit. At first, I wanted arguments to make sure everyone knew that what I was doing was right. Finally, I have learned that this is useless. We don’t bother to explain any longer. When a close relative (like my sister-in-law) insists on arguing that meat is good if you get the range fed, super expensive and only have a little bit. We simply say, we’re not good at moderation so it is easier for us not to have any..thanks. When someone tells us that we should have something and we only need to watch portion size, we say we aren’t good at determining portion size and prefer to have only things that we don’t need to worry about portion size.

If someone seems to be genuinely interested because they have noticed that my husband and I are both looking a lot better…..I refer them to yourself and to the other mentors that I have mentioned above. I have a number of the dvd’s that support this way of eating and I offer those too.

A couple of people have been interested and are successful. We have seen others who are interested but they give up quickly. Again the ones who are successful, look for ways to keep things simple and refuse to allow others to push them to eat things not on the plan. They also plan to be successful. Our friends that have tried and given up are the ones that decided it was too difficult, (because they insisted on making it complicated) and the ones that worry a lot about what their friends and relatives think of what they eat, and found it embarrassing not to “fit in” with everyone else.

Again, thank you for your help. We have certainly benefited from your advice, and are very appreciative. I wanted to let you know that your help and comments are a big part of what has helped us to stay compliant to this way of eating.
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:50 am

JeffN wrote:We are just finishing up a 10-Day program and this issue of long-term compliance was the topic of several discussions both formally in the lectures and informally around the meals.

During one lunchtime discussion on this issue, there was a women sitting with us at the table who had been successfully doing this program for over 30 years. So, I asked, her, tell us what you believe has been the most important factor to your long-term success. She didn't even hesitate and said, easy, simplicity. I keep it very simple.

So I asked, what do you think would be the next most important thing. And again, without hesitation she said, I just don't care what anyone else thinks of me.

Words of wisdom. :)

In Health
Jeff

As usual, this came up again at the recent 10-day programs.

As I mentioned in another thread, so did the issue of what I call "internal confusion," which is happening more and more recently. Not confusion about our perspective and the perspective of low carb, paleo, atkins, etc etc but confusion created by others in the WFPB world.

I had 3 Q&A Sessions and this topic came up in each one, especially in the last one. I reviewed most of the things in this thread with the group but they still wanted to know what were the 3 most important things I recommended for their best chance at success.

Here they are...

For the first 6 months to a year....

1) Simplicity

Keep this as simple as possible and resist every influence to make this complicated. You don't need 5 versions of oatmeal, and 15 dinners, and fancy pots, pans, utensils, etc. Just use what you already have and keep it simple. Oats, fruit, rice, beans, veggies. They dont have to be organic, Non GMO, fair traded, imported, etc. Eat sweet potatoes, not imported Japanese Satsumas. They can be fresh, frozen, canned, etc, whichever makes it easiest. You just need oatmeal, brown rice (Starch), beans and a few veggies and fruits you like.

2) Focus

First, on this program

You invested a huge amount of money, time, effort and energy in Dr McDougall, his program and his staff. Trust your decision and the process. For the next 6 months to a year, if you have a question, ask Dr McDougall, Mary, Doug, Alec or me. We are all accessible. If you need a recipe, Mary has about 4000, if you have a question, most of them are answered in the forum or our hot topics. If you need reading material for support, we have a dozen books, 100's of newsletter and articles and videos going back about 30 years. Read the Hot Topics and this website and my forum and the Education material at the website and the FAQ here in my forum. When done, re-read them. If you need, email us, we are all responsive.

It is not that others WFPB Health Professionals are wrong, it is just that there are some slight differences between them all and you are just going to get confused. I would tell you the same thing if you picked one of the others but you are all here and made this choice. And, there are many WFPB "experts" that have little to no clinical and patient experience but you may not be able to know that about them. You are spending this week with a bona fide, licensed, credentialed professional team that each has over 25 years of direct clinical experience helping people. Get the most out of your investment.

Second, on yourself.

Until you have put the time in over the next few months and understood the program and been able to achieve and maintain your own success, keep the focus and attention on yourself. Do not worry about telling your spouse, your parents, your daughter in law, your cousins, your neighbor, your hairdresser, the local school, your church group, the food industry, the USDA, the FDA, the FTC, your doctor, the neighbors kid, etc etc or anyone else about the program or trying to get them to do it. Keep the focus on yourself, understanding and implementing the program and getting yourself well. We are not asking you to become a evangelist or preacher of this way of life or to try and convert anyone. We are only trying to help you take care of yourself.

This is not selfish, this is self nurturing and right now, you need all your focus and attention on you.

3) Avoid the vegan trap

Fully explained in this thread...

When Vegan is not Enough
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... 22&t=36550

As predicted, vegan is now a trend, and while this is a good thing for the animals and possibly the environment, for most of us, this is bad news as most of the vegan food in grocery stores and restaurants is not healthy. The Pleasure Trap appeal of this food is very very strong and hard to resist.

However, no one has ever come to the 10-Day program to save the animals or save the environment. They made the huge investment of time, money, energy and effort for one (and only one) main reason, their health is suffering. And, almost always, this is a major health issue and not a minor one. They come to my classes with the primary goal of learning how to address, treat and reverse their health issue through diet and lifestyle, not to be a vegan.

Don't mix them up.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:37 pm

As I described here in this long discussion....

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54512&p=554469#p554183

Your personal experience may be different. And if it is, and you are successful managing all of this and navigating the lower ends of the continuum of evil, more power to you. Some people can have one small brownie a week and not look back. Most of us here can't. That's how we got here.

But if you are the exception, have mercy on those that can't and understand almost 80% of American have shown they can't either. And for many who do come here, our percent is probably higher because we are self selected and have volunteered to be here.

Know thyself.

As this study shows, for many of us, it is that occasional lapse on a "forbidden food" that is going to start the downward spiral.

Looking at the full study, it was forbidden foods, usually consumed at home, usually in the evening, usually on the weekend. So, to be successful, we have to keep our home and our environment a safe place and to avoid feeling deprived, which we can do by eating when we are hungry until we are comfortably full of the approved foods.

As the old saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind." For many of us it is also, "in the house, in the mouth."

In Health
Jeff

Ecological Momentary Assessment of Dietary Lapses Across Behavioral Weight Loss Treatment: Characteristics, Predictors, and Relationships with Weight Change.
Forman EM, Schumacher LM, Crosby R, Manasse SM, Goldstein SP, Butryn ML, Wyckoff EP, Graham Thomas J.
Ann Behav Med. 2017 Mar 9. doi: 10.1007/s12160-017-9897-x. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28281136

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=28281136

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Adherence to dietary prescriptions is critical for successful weight loss and weight loss maintenance. However, research on specific instances of inadherence (lapses) is limited, and findings regarding the frequency, nature, and causes of lapses are mixed. Additionally, no studies have examined lapses over the course of a weight loss program.

PURPOSE:
In the context of a reduced calorie diet prescribed as part of a behavioral treatment, we aimed to characterize lapse occurrence, examine lapse frequency across treatment, examine predictors of lapses, and assess the relationship between lapses and weight loss.

METHODS:
Adults (n = 189) enrolled in a 12-month behavioral weight loss program completed ecological momentary assessment (EMA) at baseline, mid-treatment, and end of treatment. At each EMA survey, participants indicated whether a lapse had occurred, and responded to questions assessing situational, environmental, and affective states.

RESULTS:
Lapse frequency showed a curvilinear relationship over time, such that frequency first decreased and then increased. Lapse frequency at baseline was negatively associated with early and overall weight loss. Lapses most often occurred at home, in the evenings, on the weekends, and entailed eating a forbidden food. Greater overall levels of assessed affective and environmental triggers predicted lapses, and greater momentary hunger and deprivation, and the presence of palatable food, also prospectively predicted lapses.

CONCLUSIONS:
In addition to characterizing lapse frequency, the current study identified prospective predictors of lapses across treatment. These findings support the importance of lapses to weight control and provide insight for potential targets of intervention to prevent lapse occurrence.
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:27 am

This is a great article on the influence of our toxic food environment (hyper-palatable, inexpensive, readily available, super-sized, calorie dense foods) on our nations health and obesity epidemics and why it makes compliance so difficult.

We couldn’t have planned a better experiment to get the outcome we have.

What Cookies and Meth Have in Common
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN
Published: June 30, 2017
Modern humans have designed the perfect environment for drug and food addiction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/opin ... ommon.html
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:17 am

This is the published article mentioned in the above NY Times article

Again, without understanding the impact of the environment, we can never solve this problem

Food addiction and obesity: unnecessary medicalization of hedonic overeating
Graham Finlayson
Nature Reviews Endocrinology (2017)
doi:10.1038/nrendo.2017.61
Published online 26 May 2017

https://www.nature.com/nrendo/journal/v ... 17.61.html

Abstract

The concept of addiction is loaded with connotations and is often used for its political as much as its medical utility. The scientific case for 'food addiction' as a clinical phenotype currently rests on its association with generic diagnostic criteria for substance-related disorders being applied to everyday foods and eating-related problems. This has fused the concept of obesity with addiction regardless of whether it fits the definition. The hedonic, or reward, system can account for the ingestion of foods and drugs, confirming that they share neural substrates that differentiate liking and wanting. These are normal processes that are recruited for natural homeostatic behaviours and can explain the phenomenon of hedonic overeating as a consequence of human motivation pushed to extremes by an obesogenic environment. Food addiction constitutes a medicalization of common eating behaviours, taking on the properties of a disease. The use of this medical language has implications for the way in which society views overeating and obesity.

From the Conclusion

Obesity — the accumulation of excess levels of body fat — depends on an imbalance between energy intake and energy expenditure over time. Food preference and physical activity habits (including sedentary activities) are important contributors to daily variation in energy intake and energy expenditure, respectively. In humans, biological predispositions have evolved that favour a strong attraction to energy-dense foods and a tendency to minimize intense physical activity62, mediated by mechanisms (liking and wanting) that are related to the hedonic system. These tendencies only become relevant for obesity under the appropriate environmental conditions.

The optimal conditions for obesity to develop include an abundant, energy-dense food supply, limited need or opportunity for physical activity and socio-cultural values that encourage mass consumption of commodities14. Therefore, from a biopsychological perspective, the complex processes underlying overconsumption and obesity can be understood as normal biological adaptations to lifestyles that are shaped by powerful pressures from the modern obesogenic environment63. These biopsychological explanations for overeating and weight gain do not draw the sensational headlines of food addiction and might be less appealing in the eyes of the public and those looking for clear-cut implementable solutions to the obesity crisis (that is, changes to laws and regulations. and/or diagnosis and treatment). However, they avoid the dilemma posed by food addiction in which its promoters are caught between an over-pathologization of common processes that are involved in hedonic eating behaviour and a broadening of the medical concept of addiction to cover the entire spectrum of appetitive human motivation, rendering it meaningless.
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:35 am

JeffN wrote:To me, while not as strict as us, I think the National Weight Control Registry and the Premier Trial shows that people can make intensive lifestyle changes and maintain them over time.

National Weight Loss Registry
Weight-loss maintenance for 10 years in the National Weight Control Registry.
Am J Prev Med. 2014 Jan;46(1):17-23. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2013.08.019.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24355667

The Premier Trial

Dietary intakes associated with successful weight loss and maintenance during the Weight Loss Maintenance Trial
J Am Diet Assoc. 2011 Dec; 111(12): 1826–1835.
doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2011.09.014
PMCID: PMC3225890

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3225890/

And this...

Long-term weight loss maintenance in the United States.
Int J Obes (Lond). 2010 Nov;34(11):1644-54. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2010.94. Epub 2010 May 18.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=20479763

I received this from a colleague and friend this morning, who after losing 130 lbs and keeping it off for many years, is part of the NWCR.

I have been virtually attending this year’s American Diabetes Association scientific sessions. One of the panels was on long-term weight maintenance, with Michael Rosenbaum, Jim Hill, and Graham Thomas. Thomas now runs the NWCR. For years, they have reported on consistent behaviors of successful maintainers, including following a low-fat diet. Of course for them, that would be anything under 30%.

Maintainers follow a 28.5% fat diet, people who were never obese a 31.8% fat, and obese 37.5% according to Graham. “Some use low carb or a Mediterranean diet and are successful.” Now the interesting part: Rosenbaum jumped on Graham and said “ With all the people using low carb diets, don’t you show fewer successful maintainers with a “low-fat” profile?”

Graham: "No. Low fat diets may be easier for the average American to follow, because of lower energy density.”

Rosenbaum persisted, and Graham said: “The low fat pattern is not changing, at least in a clinically significant way. We do not see low-fat diets decreasing among successful maintainers.”
JeffN

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD