sprouted lentils & germinated rice_more alkaline?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

sprouted lentils & germinated rice_more alkaline?

Postby kscarcelli » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello, Jeff~
I have osteoporosis, so I am trying to follow Dr. McDougall's recommendation to eat less beans and grains and more vegetable starches instead. My question is : I have used sprouted lentils and germinated rice (True Roots brand) in the past, does sprouting and germinating make them more alkaline, and therefore suitable for someone with osteoporosis?
Thanks in advance,
Kirsten
kscarcelli

Re: sprouted lentils & germinated rice_more alkaline?

Postby JeffN » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:23 am

What matters most is not a diagnosis of osteoporosis but ones fracture risk. Therefore, I recommend using the FORE or FRAX score, which is a much better way to determine fracture risk then just a DEXA score, which is how most Osteo is diagnosed & is fraught with error.

https://riskcalculator.fore.org/default.aspx

http://www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/tool.aspx

When using the FRAX, make sure you click on the "calculation tool" and set it to the right country

What matters most is the pH of the total diet & not the pH of any one (or two) foods (good or bad).

This is not a grain-based program & most all beans, which are limited anyway, are alkaline.

The overall diet, as recommended, is alkaline.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby kscarcelli » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:09 am

Hi, Jeff~
Thanks for the online tools. Was not familiar with them.
I totally agree with you that the overall diet is alkaline. Until now I have not relied on my DEXA scan results, however, I should have mentioned that I currently have sustained a stress fracture in my metatarsal, and naturally I am concerned about future ones.
In his January 2012 newsletter Dr. McDougall writes: "These women should take one further step in their diet by minimizing acidic grains and legumes, and emphasizing alkaline starchy vegetables." With this as a reference in mind, I was wondering if sprouted beans and grains become more alkaline, especially since beans are such great nutritional choice and VERY tasty.
Thanks,
Kirsten
kscarcelli

Postby JeffN » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:08 am

kscarcelli wrote:minimizing acidic grains and legumes, and emphasizing alkaline starchy vegetables.

This recommendation says nothing about sprouting. It only says to minimize "acidic" grains and legumes, not all grains and legumes.

But, let's put this in perspective. Unless one can show that their overall diet, as recommended, is acidic, this would not be needed. In most cases, if you are following the recommendations, your diet will be alkaline, not acidic, to which you agreed, your diet is alkaline

kscarcelli wrote:I totally agree with you that the overall diet is alkaline.

So, and this is very important, why fix a problem that does not exist.

If someone is consuming an acidic diet, than I want to see the bigger picture and why as there is most often a much bigger issues than a few grains.

You have not mentioned how adherent you are to the diet or what your exceptions are. Some exceptions are very acidic and they can be the issue, not the grains.

Most all beans, consumed as recommended, are alkaline, with the only exception being the peanut, which we treat more as a nut, due to its nutritional profile, and the soybean, somewhat due to its higher protein content, both of which, are limited anyway.

Most all grains are only slightly acidic if consumed in their intact whole form. Only when they are processed (flour products) are they more acidic, which is due to the increased calorie density, as pH (PRAL) is calculate per 100 grams. So, to me, the first thing I would recommend is eliminate all processed grains and only consume them in their intact form.

In regard to pH, here is the equation,

PRAL Score = Acid 0.49 x Protein + 0.037 x Phosphorus "minus" - 0.021 x Potassium – 0.026 x Magnesium – 0.013 x Calcium

If you use wheat as an example and plug in regular vs sprouted it appears as if there the pH is almost half (though not much difference when put in perspective and in context of the total diet and the full range of pH)

pH Per 100 grams
Wheat = 9.1
Wheat, Sprouted = 5.0

The main difference is the sprouted grains are much lower in calorie density so it is much harder to get in the same calories as you get almost 2x the volume of the sprouted wheat for the same 100 grams (1/2 cup vs 1 cup). This is the same benefit you get when consuming grains in their whole intact form, which is what I recommend.

Calories Per 100 grams
Wheat = 329 (.52 cup)
Wheat = Sprouted 198 (.93 cup)

So, the appearance of about 1/2 the pH "per gram" but "per gram" you are also getting almost 2x the water volume and hence, almost 1/2 the calories.

So, if we look at the pH/100 calories

Wheat = 2.7
Wheat = Sprouted 2.5

Virtually the same

On this same note, you often hear that dried fruit are "more" alkaline than regular fruit and so, for those worried about pH, eat more dried fruit. However, if you understand the above, then you understand why drying an alkaline food, makes it more alkaline. By removing the water, you concentrate the alkaline factors, but you also concentrate the calories and volume.

And, that is what we see,

pH Per 100 grams
Grapes = -3.64
Raisins = -11.97

However, when we look at calories/100 gms...

Calories per 100 grams
Grapes = 70
Raisins = 299

However, when we look at pH/100 calorie

Grapes = -5.2
Raisins = -4.1

Again, virtually the same.

So by sprouting all you do is increase the appearance of the alkalinity of the pH by diluting out the volume and weight with water, but per calorie, it is basically the same. So, again, focusing on whether the grains should be sprouted or not (or the fruit dried or not) is really missing the bigger picture.

Instead, focus on the overall diet as recommend, limit soy and peanuts (as already recommended) and consume your grains in the intact whole form and avoid any grains in flour form (as recommended in the MWL program).

Then make sure you are doing all the other lifestyle factors known to reduce the risk of fractures including eating more fruits and vegetables including dark green leafy veggies, getting in enough weight bearing exercise, getting enough sunshine, avoid alcohol and tobacco,

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby kscarcelli » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you , Jeff!
kscarcelli

Return to Jeff Novick, RD