Forum Guidelines: Please Read Before Postng!

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Forum Guidelines: Please Read Before Postng!

Postby JeffN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:52 am

Greetings,

First, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum since it began in Feb, 2008. As a result, this forum has become an incredible resource for those looking to understand the principles and guidelines of healthy living. In addition, I want to thank those who have complied with the guidelines I initiated one year ago, November, 2011.

Thanks!

Second, starting January 1, 2013, I will be changing the way the forum operates. As with the Star McDougaller Forum, I will be limiting replies and comments in this forum to myself and the original poster. If you wish to comment on a particular post or topic please feel free to do so in a new thread as a question to me in this forum or as a general post in the Lounge, where others can discuss it with you.

To answer some general questions about the forum and the way it has operated the last year and going forward...

1) I can not give specific personal health advice to anyone in an anonymous public forum. If you post such a question, I can not respond and/or may move the post to another appropriate forum where you may find others willing to discuss your situation.

2) Please familiarize yourself with the forum and the discussions that have already taken place. There are several threads at the top of the forum that point to previous discussions (Hot Topics, FAQ). In addition, you can easily find almost any topic by typing in a few key words, highlighting my forum and also "JeffN" as the author. In addition, you can do a google search using the words "Jeff Novick" and the topic of interest and you will not only be linked to discussions in this forum, but also to discussions at my website and/or other websites, or to youtube video's or other blogs I have written on the topic. Please make sure you have done this before posting. If not, I may remove the post or move it to another appropriate forum where you may find others willing to respond or discuss the topic with you.

3) If you are not the original poster in the thread and you post a reply, your post will be removed from the thread.

4) I will be trying to clean up and better organize the Hot Topics thread and if anyone wants to help, you can send me links to your favorite discussions on any important topics you have found helpful.

5) By posting in this forum, you agree to these guidelines.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Thanks
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Important Update: New Forum Guidelines!

Postby landog » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 am

JeffN wrote: As with the Star McDougaller Forum, I will be limiting replies and comments in this forum to myself and the original poster.

I'm saddened that I'm unable to participate in a message thead here. There have been some good ones!

The "Lounge" seems to be full of trolls and discussions about other diets -- putting down meat eaters or even other plant-based doctors. I don't need to put down others to feel good about my choices.

The "Star McDougaller Forum" siphons off serious discussions. Now I can't participate in any in your section.

The McDougall Forums used to be a place where I might be able to partake in interesting dialog. Not so much, anymore...

Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for all you do! I hope you have a successful and happy 2013!

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby JeffN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your comments and agree with many of them.

landog wrote: The "Lounge" seems to be full of trolls and discussions about other diets

So has this forum.

You may not see it but I have had to spend much more time in the last year or two moderating this forum than in all the years before, even after I put up the newer guidelines a year ago which was an attempt to try and mitigate that. And, a few people have even become upset because the guidelines were actually enforced. :)

That is all new, as up until about 1.5 years ago, I don't think I had to moderate any of the forum. As I am on the road about 60-70% of the time, I do not have the available time to keep up that level of moderation here.

landog wrote:The McDougall Forums used to be a place where I might be able to partake in interesting dialog. Not so much, anymore...

The sad part is I have seen this phenomenon grow exponentially around the internet. Starting this year, for the first time, I have also had to start moderating my FP page.

There are ways around this but it would take changing the whole discussion board and not just my forum.

landog wrote:Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for all you do! I hope you have a successful and happy 2013!

Thanks!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby BlueHeron » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:15 am

I am very happy with the new guidelines. It's great to be able to get expert advice without having to wade through the thoughts of people who don't know more than I do. Even with the new guidelines, people are still posting answers to questions for you. I'm sure you'll get flak for enforcing the rules - I just want to say I'm glad you do so.

I really appreciate your work in this forum.
BlueHeron

Return to Jeff Novick, RD