Green Smoothies

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Green Smoothies

Postby RawDad » Sat May 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Interesting Jeff thanks so much for sharing.
RawDad

Postby bcmike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 am

I have a smoothie just about every day added to my brekfast. I always pour it over my oatmeal, or nuts and fruit, etc. (instead of soy or any other milk--so i chew instead of drink)My smoothie has little fruit, maybe 1/2 banana and some berries. My usual suspects to include are-
1-T fresh flaxseeds--1 clove garlic--1-2 handfulls of greens (kale-spinach-collards-etc)1T vitamineral green-drop b12 (few times a week)
drop vit. D (2000iu's) piece fresh ginger. Whirl it up in my vitamix--is it "delicious"--nope, but pretty good to me. More fruit would make it taste better but i trade that off.
A question, on the xtend-life site Warren Matthews believes that kale, collards,(maybe others--spinach, broccoli, o.k.) should not be eaten raw (reasons why escape me)"Always" cook. Anyone have any thoughts on that ? What i do is heat up some water to boil when i use those veggies and pour it in just to be safe. He doesn't know if that is o.k. but could be.
bcmike

Postby Ginger » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 am

Those food you mention are considered goitrogenic - they adversely affect the thyroid. But when cooked, they loose their goitrogenic properties.
Ginger

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:19 am

bcmike wrote:I have a smoothie just about every day added to my brekfast. I always pour it over my oatmeal, or nuts and fruit, etc. (instead of soy or any other milk--so i chew instead of drink)My smoothie has little fruit, maybe 1/2 banana and some berries. My usual suspects to include are-
1-T fresh flaxseeds--1 clove garlic--1-2 handfulls of greens (kale-spinach-collards-etc)1T vitamineral green-drop b12 (few times a week)
drop vit. D (2000iu's) piece fresh ginger. Whirl it up in my vitamix--is it "delicious"--nope, but pretty good to me. More fruit would make it taste better but i trade that off.
A question, on the xtend-life site Warren Matthews believes that kale, collards,(maybe others--spinach, broccoli, o.k.) should not be eaten raw (reasons why escape me)"Always" cook. Anyone have any thoughts on that ? What i do is heat up some water to boil when i use those veggies and pour it in just to be safe. He doesn't know if that is o.k. but could be.

Many people believe many things and many website promote many ideas and philosophies. But, as we have discussed here many times, there is something called the Burden of Proof which is based on Standards of Evidence which is how we evaluate claims.

However, as a result of these websites and the information they promote and their influence, many people, including some who post here, choose to implement advice that is not recommended. While most of this advice is more than likely harmless, some of it maybe harmful and some even dangerous. The main problem is, people dont know which is which and more importantly it takes their focus off of what is known and proven to work, which is where their main focus should be.

More is not always better and manipulating foods to get more, may not be better either.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mayhem » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 am

JeffN wrote:
More is not always better and manipulating foods to get more, may not be better either.

I think this is so important.
M
Mayhem

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42 am

Try this for a simple, easy, quick breakfast..

Oatmeal
- 1/2 quick oats and/or regular oats.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tb raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TB ground flax seed
- 1 sliced banana
- 1/2 to 1 cup frozen berries

Place the oats, water, raisins, flax, banana and frozen berries in a small pan. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low, and simmer for 2-3 minutes till done. Top with cinnamon. Total time is less than 5 minutes. Can also be prepared in a microwave.

You can also cook a weeks worth of the oatmeal, water and flax ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Then, portion out as needed each morning and reheat in a microwave. The other ingredients can be added each morning. This cuts the total preparation time in half.

You can also combine all ingredients the evening before in a bowl and keep them covered in the refrigerator. During the night, the oatmeal will soften and the flavors will blend. Then, in the morning, it can be heated and or microwaved in 2-3 minutes.

You will not miss anything

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby bettina » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:42 am

Jeff, I have one more question about your statement "More isn't always better".
I agree with that but am wondering if there is a benefit to "more" in order to improve immune function. In that case is there any benefit to green smoothies or juices ?
bettina
bettina

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:45 am

bettina wrote:Jeff, I have one more question about your statement "More isn't always better".
I agree with that but am wondering if there is a benefit to "more" in order to improve immune function. In that case is there any benefit to green smoothies or juices ?
bettina

There is no data to support this at all.

In fact, during fasting, of which there is now none, immune function goes up.

Juicing and smoothies may be a viable option for those who have lost the ability to chew their food and/or have swallowing and other related medical problems. But, they have no choice.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby bettina » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Wow! Thanks so much!
I have been making green smoothies to help with IBS, Kidney disease and a mono-protein in my blood that's being watched
I guess, I have been wasting time and money.

Oh, by the way, I just watched 3 of your DVD's and they are great. You are smart and funny, go figure!
Your fiance is lucky. And you cook too boot!

bettina
bettina

Postby cyd » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Jeff,

My 31-year-old daughter had cancer, and ever since all the radiation treatments, she gets sick all the time. She's getting anything and everything from frequent colds and flus to Fifth's Disease, measles and a host of others. Each time she gets miserably sick and it takes her much longer than it should to recover.

In the interest of trying to improve her immune response she started drinking green smoothies--composed largely of kale and parsley. Her doctor keeps her hyperthyroid to prevent the return of the cancer and about three weeks after starting the smoothies, her tsh shot way up, resulting in significant hypothryoidism. It is slowly coming back down, and now she is considering trying cooked kale every night for improved immune response. I am trying to talk her out of it and to go for variety instead because I am concerned that she really doesn't know if the problem was the raw kale or the kale itself but I don't have any evidence to support my position--just my motherly anxiety meter. :)

Is there any evidence out there that certain greens or any greens (raw or cooked) adversely affect tsh?

Thank you,

Cyd
cyd

Postby JeffN » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:43 am

Thyroid blockers is a term often used for some foods that contain substances that interfere with iodine utilization or thyroid hormone production. These substances are really called goitrogens. Cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts) do contain goitrogens as do the soybean, pine nuts, millet, peanuts. These goitrogens are inactivated by cooking, even by light steaming, so there is no need to forego them when consumed in that style.

Most of these goitrogens are not of any real significance unless they are consumed in very large amounts or there is coexisting iodine deficiency. So, while it is theoretically possible for someone to consume enough of these foods that they may have an effect, for most people it is not an issue. However, if someone was greatly concerned, they could limit some of these foods.

There are several discussion threads in this forum on thyroid and iodine that may be of interest to this topic also.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Concerned » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:44 am

Is it true that the single food most strongly associated with longevity is leafy greens? I thought that means that the more you eat of them, the longer you live. What is the optimal amount of leafy greens?

By the way, congratulations, Jeff. Mazal Tov!
Concerned

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:32 am

Concerned wrote:Is it true that the single food most strongly associated with longevity is leafy greens? I thought that means that the more you eat of them, the longer you live. What is the optimal amount of leafy greens?

No. The single food associated with long lived populations is legumes, & it doesn't mean you have to eat a lot of them or that the more you eat the better.

Greens, while included, are actually a small part of the diet. Remember, they are so nutrient dense that it doesn't take much.

Concerned wrote:By the way, congratulations, Jeff. Mazal Tov!

Thanks!

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:37 am

Legumes: the most important dietary predictor of survival in older people of different ethnicities. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13(2):217-20.

Conclusions: This longitudinal study shows that a higher legume intake is the most protective dietary predictor of survival amongst the elderly, regardless of their ethnicity. The significance of legumes persisted even after controlling for age at enrollment (in 5-year interval), gender, and smoking. Legumes have been associated with long-lived food cultures such as the Japanese (soy, tofu, natto, miso), the Swedes (brown beans, peas), and the Mediterranean people (lentils, chickpeas, white beans)."
JeffN

Postby Concerned » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks!
Concerned

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD