Clarifying Carbohydrates: Making The Complex Simple

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Clarifying Carbohydrates: Making The Complex Simple

Postby Acura » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 pm

JeffN wrote:2) Unrefined, Processed Carbohydrates Low in Calorie Density

These are foods that are made from whole grains but the whole grain was ground into whole grain flour first and then made into the final food.

(The calorie density of these foods is around 500-600 calories per pound. A serving size of these foods is 1/2 cup cooked.)

In Health,
Jeff

Fabulous summary.

Are you sure about this? I believe the calorie density of whole wheat flour is somewhere around 1550 calories.
CC
Acura

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Chimichanga wrote:
JeffN wrote:2) Unrefined, Processed Carbohydrates Low in Calorie Density

These are foods that are made from whole grains but the whole grain was ground into whole grain flour first and then made into the final food.

(The calorie density of these foods is around 500-600 calories per pound. A serving size of these foods is 1/2 cup cooked.)

In Health,
Jeff

Fabulous summary.

Are you sure about this? I believe the calorie density of whole wheat flour is somewhere around 1550 calories.

Yes.

We don't consume whole wheat flour "as is" but only after it has been made into a food.

The calorie density of a food is always figured in the edible form of the food. So, for pasta, which is the only food listed in this category, the calorie density is 550 calories/lb. In its dry form, it is 1600 calories per pound but we dont consume it in its dry form.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Acura » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 am

I learn a lot of finer points from your writings. Has there been a research done on what makes you full? Is it fiber, water..what else??
CC
Acura

Postby JeffN » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 am

Chimichanga wrote:I learn a lot of finer points from your writings. Has there been a research done on what makes you full? Is it fiber, water..what else??

Yes. Water and fiber which create volume/bulk.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby vegan_iowa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks, JeffN for the advice on my blended breakfast. I took your advice and tried actually cooking my oats. It made a big difference. I still eat my 1 C. oats but it is almost 2 C. cooked. Add 1 serving of fruit and just enough soymilk to cool it off after cooking. Even without sugar or Splenda, I still found it edible :wink: - even tasty. And now I can eat with my son at the table like a normal human being :lol: itstead of hiding in the kitchen drinking my concoction where no one will make comments about my strange beverage.
vegan_iowa

Postby Cherry Tomato » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:03 pm

What's disconcerting is all of the conflicting information out there. I've also been following the PCRM 21-Day Vegan Kickstart, and the message today was all about the Glycemic Index and potatoes were mentioned as a "do not eat" food. When I pointed out on the forum that potatoes are a healthful food, some members there told me that some people react well to potatoes and some don't; that they get a sugar spike and cannot ever ever ever eat white potatoes.

This is confusing to me. Isn't all human physiology the same? Don't your cells react the same way mine do? In other words, is there really that much individuality in the way people's bodies respond to foods (barring allegies or celiac disease etc.)?
Cherry Tomato

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Cherry Tomato wrote:What's disconcerting is all of the conflicting information out there. I've also been following the PCRM 21-Day Vegan Kickstart, and the message today was all about the Glycemic Index and potatoes were mentioned as a "do not eat" food. When I pointed out on the forum that potatoes are a healthful food, some members there told me that some people react well to potatoes and some don't; that they get a sugar spike and cannot ever ever ever eat white potatoes.

This is confusing to me. Isn't all human physiology the same? Don't your cells react the same way mine do? In other words, is there really that much individuality in the way people's bodies respond to foods (barring allegies or celiac disease etc.)?

They are treating the symptoms of the disease (blood sugar) and not the disease. Most of the people who react have insulin resistance. As they get well, this will disappear and they will no longer react. Potatoes do not cause Insulin Resistance so removing them does not address the cause of the disease

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Cherry Tomato » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:17 pm

That's a relief to know, Jeff. I have never been diagnosed with insulin resistance or high blood sugar, so I guess I can continue eating my beloved potatoes.

But most people who will read that advice (such as myself) will not realize that it is geared toward people with insulin resistance, but a blanket condemnation of the potato. Such a shame.
Cherry Tomato

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:56 am

Cherry Tomato wrote:That's a relief to know, Jeff. I have never been diagnosed with insulin resistance or high blood sugar, so I guess I can continue eating my beloved potatoes.

But most people who will read that advice (such as myself) will not realize that it is geared toward people with insulin resistance, but a blanket condemnation of the potato. Such a shame.

I agree.

Part of the problem is the current vehicle for the dissemination of information. These vehicles, (the media, sound bites, food labels, advertising, ) all have severe limitations. Either not enough time to go into details or have vested interests biasing the way they present the info, or the information has to be presented in a broad general way to the size of the group receiving it.

In addition, sometimes, we are also at fault because, as human nature has it, we all want a quick, simple solution.

To really understand this takes time, critical thinking and reason, and a source that has not vested interests or biases other than seeing you get well.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mober » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Jeff
My search for "Fruit, Fiber, Form and Satiety" isn't getting a result, is there another topic/subject for your post?
Mober

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Mober wrote:Hi Jeff
My search for "Fruit, Fiber, Form and Satiety" isn't getting a result, is there another topic/subject for your post?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15419

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Plumerias wrote:
pinkrose wrote:
somnolent wrote:Thank you, JeffN, for that very clear explanation. Understanding the three variables of refinement, processing, and calorie density make it so much easier to assess whether a particular starchy food is healthy or not.

Am I correct in saying that refinement is the most important variable of the three? You do not recommend refined carbohydrates at all, but you do allow for processed ones and ones with high calorie density.

Yes, this is so enlightening that it may be good to keep it near the top of your board, Jeff! Thanks! :-D
I agree, it should be near the top always. It would be so very useful to newbies.

And not-all-that-newbies. That was actually one where understanding what to do was almost as much of a problem as figuring out how to do it.

Thank you,

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby soliver » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Thank you Jeff I found that extremely helpful.

In which category would you put whole fresh fruit that isn't cooked or processed?
soliver

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:38 pm

Fruits are not starches or complex carbs and are their own goup.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD