Help with low oxalate diet for kidney stone prevention

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Help with low oxalate diet for kidney stone prevention

Postby Jubilee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Could you post an example of a low-oxalate McDougall/Novick diet? I looked into this before and concluded that it simply isn't possible. For "staple starches," sweet potatoes, white potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat, oats, corn, and quinoa are all out; most green vegetables, esp. cruciferous; peppers, tomatoes, and tomato sauces; pretty much all beans, except maybe lentils; and all the most nutrient-dense fruits (berries, figs, prunes, kiwi, etc.) --
Last edited by Jubilee on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jubilee

Re: Help with low oxalate diet for kidney stone prevention

Postby SactoBob » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Jubilee -
I had chronic nightmare kidney stones, mostly calcium oxalate, for years. I had no relief trying to eat a low oxalate diet. As soon as I changed my diet to what Jeff recommends here, the kidney stones went away. There is research, I believe a Scottish doctor, to support this. But all I know is that trying to eat low oxalate did nothing and eating as Jeff recommends stopped the problem.
SactoBob

Re: Help with low oxalate diet for kidney stone prevention

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Jubilee wrote:"Could you post an example of a low-oxalate McDougall/Novick diet? I looked into this before and concluded that it simply isn't possible. For "staple starches," sweet potatoes, white potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat, oats, corn, and quinoa are all out; most green vegetables, esp. cruciferous; peppers, tomatoes, and tomato sauces; pretty much all beans, except maybe lentils; and all the most nutrient-dense fruits (berries, figs, prunes, kiwi, etc.) --

First, I would recommend reading these two threads

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... =22&t=8870

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... 22&t=11591

Second, from the following Continuing Education course written by my friend and colleague, Jay Kenney, PhD..

http://foodandhealth.com/cpecourses/kidney.php

+++++++++++++++++
Should Dietary Oxalate Be Reduced?

Oxalic acid occurs naturally in many plant foods. Spinach, rhubarb, Swiss chard, cocoa powder, chocolate, beets, beet greens, peppers, strawberries, tea (both black and green), okra, peanuts, pecans and wheat germ and bran contain sufficient oxalic acid to increase urinary oxalate excretion. Increased oxalic acid in the urine raises the TSI and presumably increases the risk of calcium oxalate-rich kidney stones. One study showed that most of the above mentioned oxalic acid-containing foods do significantly increase urinary oxalate excretion.[10] It seems reasonable to limit the intake of these oxalic acid rich foods [Spinach, rhubarb, Swiss chard, cocoa powder, chocolate, beets, beet greens, peppers, strawberries, tea (both black and green), okra, peanuts, pecans and wheat germ and bran] in people with recurrent calcium oxalate kidney stones. Calcium oxalate is poorly absorbed so foods with as much or more calcium as oxalic acid would probably have little impact on urinary oxalate excretion. However, plant foods are not the only source of urinary oxalic acid so even if all plant foods are avoided calcium oxalate stones may still form. Oxalic acid can be derived from the breakdown of dietary protein as well as from high doses of vitamin C.

Table 2 below lists foods with the most oxalic acid and high ratios of oxalic acid to calcium. If calcium rich foods are consumed with these foods it is likely that the absorption of oxalic acid from the gut would be reduced.

Table 2. Foods to Avoid for People with Recurring Kidney Stones

Food
Beet greens, cooked
Rhubarb, stewed, no sugar
Spinach, cooked
Beets, cooked
Swiss Chard, cooked
Spinach, frozen
Cocoa, dry
Okra, cooked
Sweet potatoes, cooked
Peanuts
Tea
Pecans, halves
Wheat germ

+++++++++++++++++

These are the only foods being recommended to be restricted and the only one that I see listed that is often used as a staple in the program is sweet potatoes. Some people may also eat more spinach and swiss chard but again, this would only make minor caloric contributions. So, I do not see how any different recommendations are needed other than possible restriction or minimization of these 3 foods.

Don't forget the other recommendations from the course which include to to also restrict salt, stay well hydrated, avoid calcium supplements and calcium antacids, avoid vitamin C supplements and avoid animal proteins.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD