Olive Oil & The Mediterranean Diet are a HOAX!

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Olive Oil & The Mediterranean Diet are a HOAX!

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:52 am

In 1999, I published an newsletter article entitled, "The French Paradox & The Mediterranean Mix-Up", explaining how these diets are a hoax perpetuated on the American public. My presentations since, have expanded on this including much more data supporting my view.

The following article recently appeared in a leading medical journal supporting my view and may be the final "nail in the coffin."

It's about time!

In Health
Jeff

Clinical Lipidology Roundtable Discussion
Discussion on dietary fat
Journal of Clinical Lipidology (2009) 3, 303–314

W. Virgil Brown, MD
- Editor–in–Chief, The Journal of Clinical Lipidology, Charles Howard Candler Professor of Internal Medicine Emory
University School of Medicine, 1670 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA

Wahida Karmally, RD, DrPH
- Associate Research Scientist and Director of Nutrition, Irving Center for Clinical Research, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA (Dr. Karmally);

Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD
-Professor of Nutrition, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA

Lawrence R. Rudel, PhD
- Clinical Researcher, Pathology Department, Lipid Sciences, Wake Forest University Medical School, Winston Salem, NC, USA

Quoting...

Dr. Karmally: Because of the way the Mediterranean diet has been promoted, olive oil is in the center of that pyramid.

Dr. Brown: It’s viewed as healthful and as you pointed out, the Lyon Diet Heart Study really found that the one fat that correlated best with reduction in events was not monounsaturated oleic acid, the major fat of olive oil, it was linoleic acid. And so I’m afraid that this has become a great hoax applied to the American diet and that we have not paid as much attention to the data as we should have in order to make a better decision about the content of fat in our diet.

And, in regard to MONO fat...

"A recent study, published in 2008 from the ULSAM, Uppsala Longitudinal Study for Adult Men, in which in 1970 they started enrolling all men that turned age 50. They have studied about 3–4,000 individuals, following them for about 30 years, so they have many observations over a long period of time. In Sweden the diagnosis of cardiovascular death is better than in almost any other country in the world. At the end of the study, they had about 460 deaths from cardiovascular disease, and a significant predictor of this outcome was cholesteryl oleate and cholesteryl palmitate. Again, an inverse association was found with plasma cholesteryl linoleate. So, it appears that in humans, as well as in our monkeys and in our mice, increased cholesteryl oleate is not good—it predicts arteriosclerotic vascular disease We should be concerned that when you increase monounsaturated fats, you make more cholesteryl oleate in plasma, and this relates to earlier atherosclerotic disease. In the San Diego studies mentioned earlier, subjects fed a high monounsaturated fat-rich diet for 4 weeks had an increase in the percentage of cholesteryl oleate in plasma by about 20%. Plasma cholesterol oleate appears responsive in humans as it is in monkeys and mice. Cholesteryl oleate may be an underappreciated villain, that’s my term.

My original article..

The French Paradox & The Mediterranean Mix-Up.
Chef Jeff's Weekly Health Update
June 1, 1999

Many of us who follow a low fat, plant food diet are often confronted with the question, "but what about the French Paradox" or the "Mediterranean" diet. In France, mortality from heart disease is about a quarter of that in Britain and also less then that in the US. The major risk factors are no more favorable in France, and so this "French Paradox" exists, though it has not been satisfactorily explained yet.

Despite the difference in mortality from heart disease between these countries, similar levels of animal fat consumption, serum total cholesterol and high density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations, blood pressure, and (in men) smoking exist.

So why the difference?

The French paradox is usually attributed to the higher consumption of alcohol in France, notably of wine, and some have suggested a specific effect of red wine. However, low levels of ischaemic heart disease in France is not due to drinking red wine, suggest researchers in last weeks British Medical Journal.

In their paper Dr Malcolm Law and Professor Nicholas Wald from the Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine in London present a new hypothesis to explain why the French population has experienced such a low incidence of heart disease and provide supporting evidence. The crux of their hypothesis is that animal fat consumption and serum cholesterol are a relatively new phenomena in France and that there is a time-lag in the effect they have on health which we haven't fully seen yet.

Animal fat consumption and serum cholesterol concentration have only increased in the French population in the last 15 years, say the authors. For decades up to 1970 France had lower animal fat consumption and serum cholesterol and only between 1970 and 1980 did French levels increase to those in Britain and the US.

Law and Wald explain that French mortality from ischaemic heart disease is nevertheless still only about a quarter of that in Britain and the US because of a "time lag" effect. They estimate that the time lag between an increase in fat consumption and its effect on heart disease is somewhere between 25 to 35 years and explain that the time lag is similar to that which is seen in relation to lung cancer risk and smoking.

The authors examine previous explanations of the "French paradox" including the under certification of heart disease deaths by French doctors (which they say could account for about 20 per cent of the difference in mortality rates); smoking; alcohol intake (especially red wine); the consumption of garlic and onions and the moderately warmer climate in France. They conclude that apart from smoking in women, these factors explain little of the difference and that the most important explanation lies in the time-lag hypothesis.

Law and Wald emphasize that the consumption of animal fat leads to a slow increase in the risk of mortality from heart disease, but, as with smoking and lung cancer, these risks decrease rapidly on cessation.

Also, despite the supposed protective effect of alcohol on heart disease amongst the French men, alcohol related deaths from other causes among French men almost nullifies this benefit. In comparison with Britain, the amount of alcohol related deaths in France is 3x that in Britain. So, any protective effect that alcohol may be offering in relation to heart disease is canceled out by other alcohol related deaths (including increased mortality from cancers of the mouth, pharynx, esophagus, liver, larynx and also alcohol related mortality
from cirrhosis and alcohol dependence). Mortality statistics from all causes, bears this truth out.

Also, there have been some recent media reports stating that a new study from Lyon, France showed that people who ate a "Mediterranean Diet" had fewer heart attacks then those who ate a "low-fat" diet. There are some problems associated with these reports. First, there is no clear cut definition of what exactly the "Mediterranean Diet is. And, the so-called "Mediterranean Diet" that has been touted for its health benefits, doesn't exist anymore, (not even in the "Mediterranean) if it even ever did.

The information that has been translated into the "Mediterranean Diet" came from a study that found low rates of heart disease amongst those living on the Isle of Crete in the late 1950's. While this people did consume olives, avocados, olive oil and other monunsaturated fats, their diets were predominately fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes with small amounts of animal protein.

Part of the reason for this was the community was very economically depressed as they were recovering from a recent time of war. Additionally, they were very active, walking an average of 9 miles a day.

This dietary and exercise pattern, that was evident on the Isle of Crete in the late 50's, no longer exist there (nor anywhere else in the Mediterranean). Rates of obesity and heart disease on the Isle of Crete have risen since the original study, as their diet and fitness patterns have changed.

Second, in the above mentioned study from Lyon, France (Circulation, 99: 733, 779, 1999) the so-called "low-fat" diet actually had more fat and saturated fat in it, then the so-called "Mediterranean" diet. To this date, no study has pitted a "Mediterranean" style diet against a truly healthy version of a low-fat" diet.

Many reports have attempted to show that the "French" or "Mediterranean" diets may be more healthful then a low-fat diet. And, many of us may have been swayed by these reports in an attempt to do what is most healthful.

Well, for those of you who may have been (or are being) swayed by the reports in the news of the "Mediterranean" diet and/or the "French Paradox", you can sit back and relax and know that the best advice for your health hasn't changed. You can't fool Mother Nature. Stick to a whole foods plant based (or plant exclusive) diet based on whole unrefined, unprocessed foods. Choose small amounts of the good fats that we have discussed, and get lots of physical activity and exercise.

Remember, Your "Health" Is Your Greatest Wealth!

In Health,
Chef Jeff
JeffN

Re: Olive Oil & The Mediterranean Diet are a HOAX!

Postby Jaggu » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:35 pm

JeffN wrote:
Dr. Brown: It’s viewed as healthful and as you pointed out, the Lyon Diet Heart Study really found that the one fat that correlated best with reduction in events was not monounsaturated oleic acid, the major fat of olive oil, it was linoleic acid.

Chef Jeff

How much of linoleic acid they consumed? What was their source of LA?
Jaggu

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Jaggu wrote:
JeffN wrote:
Dr. Brown: It’s viewed as healthful and as you pointed out, the Lyon Diet Heart Study really found that the one fat that correlated best with reduction in events was not monounsaturated oleic acid, the major fat of olive oil, it was linoleic acid.

Chef Jeff

How much of linoleic acid they consumed? What was their source of LA?

The full interview is posted on my FB page so you can read it there, The link is below.

They are reviewing the work of many studies, both in laboratories and in epidemiological data. The most common sources of mono are olive oil, high oleic safflower and sunflower oils and nuts/seeds.

One of the studies is the monkey study I post here often, where in one stage of the study, the diet replicated the intake of humans..

"All diets contained 35% of calories as fat. In the first experimental period, a mixture of fats was used to set the dietary fatty acid composition to be approximately 50-60% of the desired fatty acid, either saturated, monounsaturated, or polyunsaturated (n-6). In the second experimental period, pure fats were used (palm oil, oleic acid-rich safflower oil, and linoleic acid-rich safflower oil) to maximize the difference in fatty acid composition. The effects of the more exaggerated dietary fatty acid differences of period 2 were similar to those that have been reported in humans."

So, 50-60% of 35% is 17% to 21% Mono, which is not far of from the current standard recommendations of the AHA which are to limit Saturated to <7% and the remaining 18 to 28% between PUFA and MUFA. So, an intake of 15-20% MUFA is not unrealistic in the SAD especially with the current consumption trends of olive oil and nuts/seeds

From the USDA Dietary Guidelines Planning Committee

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines ... 4_Fats.htm

"Based on dietary intake data from CFSII (1994-96), median MUFA intake ranged from 25 to 39 g per day for men and 18 to 24 g per day for women (IOM, 2002, Appendix Table E-8). Data from the 1987-1988 Nationwide Food Consumption Survey indicated that mean intakes of MUFAs for different age-gender groups were 13.6-14.3 percent of energy (Ganji and Betts, 1995)."

So, not only can we see that Americans are close to that, they are also being told to "increase" the intake of mono's through more olive oil and nuts/seeds. This will only raise the percentage of Mono's in their diet and their intake of oleic acid.

Not good.

Remember, while source is important, what is being implicated here is not just mono fats, but also a specific fatty acid called oleic acid which is very high in olive oil and most nuts and seeds. Its effects on the body are similar (or worse) that saturated fat.

How much saturated fat do you think is safe?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby landog » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 pm

I just have to say (once again): THANK YOU!
You are great help and a valued resource.

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby pinkrose » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53 pm

In regard to this topic and several others here, it seems to me that those who are really willing to look at the facts objectively would agree that this low fat plant based diet is ideal. However, my experience with people tells me that relatively few omnivores are willing to make major changes in their diets. Their problem is not lack of evidence. It is lack of motivation.

I will give you an example that is probably common: While in the USA, I prepared vegetable and pasta soup for an old friend. She said she enjoyed it and then went on to say that she had later made a similar soup with chicken in it. Of course my reaction is to say that if it has chicken in it...it is not similar! In short, whether it is from the examples of parents, the old food pyramid or simply very deeply ingrained habits, few are willing to make the changes that will lead to significantly better health.

I am very happy to be in touch with this elite group!

I also expect that--in the long run--attitudes will change and that our numbers will grow. I say this because of the growing body of evidence (especially those studies cited by Jeff) that I think will have the power to convince more and more open minded people to try what we are doing! I add my thanks to Jeff! :D
pinkrose

Postby dlb » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Thank you very much Jeff. This makes a great email to send to my oil loving friends who shake their heads when I try to explain that it's not healthy.

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby marcusm » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:57 pm

The "French Paradox" never seemed to be a paradox to me even though it apparently has confused some nutritionists. I spent a lot of time in France in the 70's and 80's and it seemed perfectly reasonable that the French would be longer-lived and healthier than Americans. They ate less, moved more and what they ate seemed to be of greater variety and quality than what I could find in the average American grocery.

The marketing of this so-called paradox seems to be the problem. Also, the constant searching by the industrial food system for the One True Nutrient that will allow them to process something even more seems to be a driving force behind looking at a perfectly natural situation and finding a seeming paradox.

As for the "Mediterranean" diet, that is such a marketing bunch of hooey that it's almost funny. :-) Like Jeff says, it's never been defined. What part of the Mediterranean? Monaco? Southeast France? Sicily? The Greek islands? Egypt? Tunisia? All these places have populations that thrive on traditional diets, but there is no one single Mediterranean diet, except in the minds of our oh-so-clever food business, diet promoters and, unfortunately, the mainstream media business.

A plant-based diet is the way to go and I'm glad nutrition science is starting to get this message.
marcusm

Postby Jaggu » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:54 pm

What was the diet in the Lyon Diet Heart Study?
Last edited by Jaggu on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaggu

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Jaggu wrote:What was the diet in the Lyon Diet Heart Study?

The only "fat" supplied to them was the plant sourced alpha-linoleic acid in the form of a canola oil based margarine. This group was compared to the SAD and did better, no surprise. It was 10% lower in fat, 50% lower in saturated fat, 50% lower in cholesterol, higher in fiber and omega 3;s.

However, this MED diet, while better than the SAD, has not been show to be better than, let alone as effective as, the program recommended here.

In addition, from Dr Esselstyn..

"What the study did not brag about was the fact that by the end of the study (5 years), 25% of the Mediterranean-diet participants either died or suffered a cardiovascular event (heart attack, stroke, etc.). Needless to say, the control group was even worse off than the Mediterranean diet group. The Mediterranean diet did not reverse heart disease. It only slowed down its progress. The Mediterranean diet, while lowering cholesterol levels somewhat, still allowed high enough cholesterol levels to worsen the participants' heart disease because it included saturated fat (olive oil) and cholesterol-containing foods: low to moderate amounts of dairy products, fish, and poultry, small amounts of red meat, and zero to four eggs per week."

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jaggu » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:17 pm

JeffN wrote:In addition, from Dr Esselstyn..

"What the study did not brag about was the fact that by the end of the study (5 years), 25% of the Mediterranean-diet participants either died or suffered a cardiovascular event (heart attack, stroke, etc.). Needless to say, the control group was even worse off than the Mediterranean diet group. The Mediterranean diet did not reverse heart disease. It only slowed down its progress. The Mediterranean diet, while lowering cholesterol levels somewhat, still allowed high enough cholesterol levels to worsen the participants' heart disease because it included saturated fat (olive oil) and cholesterol-containing foods: low to moderate amounts of dairy products, fish, and poultry, small amounts of red meat, and zero to four eggs per week."

In Health
Jeff

THANKS
Jaggu

Postby Jaggu » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:19 pm

JeffN wrote:
In addition, the amount of ALA was .84 which was higher than the .29 in the control group.
Jeff

Is this the other way round??

Pretty good n-6/n-3 ratio though? 1.24

Wonder how did they get that nice ratio by eating Canola oil and may be some nuts.
Jaggu

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Jaggu wrote:
JeffN wrote:
In addition, the amount of ALA was .84 which was higher than the 2.9 in the control group.
Jeff

Is this the other way round??

Pretty good n-6/n-3 ratio though? 1.24

Wonder how did they get that nice ratio by eating Canola oil and may be some nuts.

Good Catch. A typing error, now corrected above. The 2.9 is supposed to be .29.

So, here are the numbers

The Control Group (AHA Diet)
LA 5.3
ALA .29
Ratio 18.2/1

MED Diet Group
LA 3.6
ALA .84
Ratio 4.28/1

The 4.28 is not "ideal" but way better than the 18.2 which is typical of the SAD

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby vman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 am

Jeff,

And on cue, here's an interesting NYT article from today that shows the big diet companies are focusing on Europe, and in particular France because of the rising tide of obesity in Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/busin ... t.html?hpw
vman

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:57 pm

vman wrote:Jeff,

And on cue, here's an interesting NYT article from today that shows the big diet companies are focusing on Europe, and in particular France because of the rising tide of obesity in Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/busin ... t.html?hpw

Yes, and French Women (and Men) do get fat (and obese).

From the same article..

"By the numbers, France would seem to be a logical country in which to establish a beachhead. A study published in January by Inserm, the national health research institute, showed that 31.9 percent of people over 18 were overweight in 2009, up from 29.8 percent in 1997. In addition, 14.5 percent were obese, up from 8.5 percent in 1997.

And despite the image created by best-selling books like “French Women Don’t Get Fat,” obesity has become more pronounced in that group. According to Inserm, 15.1 percent of French women were obese in 2009, against 13.9 percent of men. In 1997, 8.3 percent of women were obese, compared with 8.8 percent of men. "

Maybe they could just pushing their junk food over there :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mober » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 am

I have to pick some of this apart!
animal fat consumption and serum cholesterol are a relatively new phenomena in France and that there is a time-lag in the effect they have on health which we haven't fully seen yet.

Are you trying to say the French haven't been eating cream and cheese and butter for say longer than the USA has even existed? I am not buying that only in the last 25 years have the French had a high fat diet and cholesterol in their diet. Now maybe fat from animal MEAT. Julia Child's recipe books are older than the "lag time" talked about here.
"There are some problems associated with these reports. First, there is no clear cut definition of what exactly the "Mediterranean Diet is. "

However you then define it:
olives, avocados, olive oil and other monunsaturated fats, their diets were predominately fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes with small amounts of animal protein

I think most people would say a Med diet is wheat-based and olive oil, where as much as 50% of the calories in the diet come from olive oil. Fruits, veggies, fish and minimal amount of other types of meats. I don't think anyone would think deep fried falafel is healthy.
This dietary and exercise pattern, that was evident on the Isle of Crete in the late 50's, no longer exist there (nor anywhere else in the Mediterranean). Rates of obesity and heart disease on the Isle of Crete have risen since the original study, as their diet and fitness patterns have changed.

But if they had olive oil in it before, how can it be that its the olive oil thats the bad guy? It looks like the opposite, that once olive oil was replaced as main source of fat, things went to pot.

I see the points in the study, but it doesn't look to me like a direct link from a to b to c. You guys like to look at blue zone groups as inspiration for what works for longevity from a perspecttive of macro data like life spans and typical diet/activity. From overall perspective, it seems like the French and "Med" diets have a positive effect on longevity, just like Okinawan or other blue zone. I am skeptical of claims based on individual bits of things that get studied, positive or negative. I am a believer in low fat due to some of the relatively more comprehensive studies on heart health, but I would have to say I am an agnostic towards Mediterranean and French. I don't think you can draw a conclusion that Low Fat is better than Mediterranean, but that Low Fat has been studied more comprehensively and has more positive scientific results. If you're interest is heart health, which would you go for? I would say the bird in the hand.
Mober

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD