Microwaves

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Microwaves

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Hey there

My son called me up this morning at work, wanting to talk about the dangers of microwaving food. He even said "I bet if you stopped microwaving your food, your IBS would decrease..." :lol: I told him my IBS was no longer a problem since going vegan. hahahaha!

but...is the concern real? I've heard about this off and on, but it hasn't stopped me from using my micro to nuke a sweet potato snack or reheat some lentil soup.

do microwaves cause changes in the foods, making them carcinogenic? Do they destroy the nutrients in foods? what DO microwaves do anyway?

thankis
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Microwaves

Postby JeffN » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:do microwaves cause changes in the foods, making them carcinogenic? Do they destroy the nutrients in foods?

No.

You can read my comments and more about it here..

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6579

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am

thank you Jeff! this is what I was looking for :)

I had already posted a little to my son, who got himself in a knee jerk opposition to all things microwave, on the basis of some internet reading. The whole "where are the citations?" question needed to be asked, and I showed him what a citation looks like and advised him to look for that when he's reading something purporting to be scientific. Also forwarded him that amazing Snopes article! ha...

thanks again. I didn't think it was an issue, but I've seen it here and there.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Microwaves

Postby JeffN » Thu May 24, 2018 6:25 pm

From the 2018 AICR report on Diet, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Cancer: A Global Perspective.

A comprehensive analysis of the global research by independent experts from around the world and covers 17 cancer sites, including colorectal, breast, ovarian and prostate. Findings are based on the data of 51 million people, including 3.5 million cancer cases.

http://www.aicr.org/reduce-your-cancer- ... opics.html

On Microwave Ovens

Microwave ovens do produce electromagnetic radiation, but most countries have manufacturing standards that specify maximum leakage levels for new ovens. This reduces leakage outside the ovens to almost non-detectable levels, and leakage also drops as you move further away from the oven.

Although some studies have suggested an association between microwave ovens and cancer, most research has found no link. A modern oven in good condition is safe to use if you follow the instructions correctly.

Cooking food in microwave ovens does not cause cancer either. However, it’s important to remember that any type of cooking can affect the nutritional value of some foods, such as fruit and vegetables. In general, the best way to keep as many nutrients as possible in fruit and vegetables is to use a little water and avoid overcooking them.
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD