Jeff Question: Meal timing, calorie distribution, fasting..

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jeff Question: Meal timing, calorie distribution, fasting..

Postby veganism4life » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:22 am

Greetings Jeff,

I seem to be what I call a late day/night eater. I like to fast during the day when I am active. I walk 5-6 miles every morning, stretch, lift a little and then get to work (mostly thinking activites). From the time I get up (around 7am), I drink only water until my first meal around 3pm (sometimes as late as 5pm). Maintaining a BMI of 16-17 (CRON), I consume about 1300 calories per day. Typically, I eat at 3pm(400cal) & 10pm (800cal). Obvioulsy, I am fasting about 15 hours each day and not eating breakfast...the so called: most important meal of the day. Is there any "good evidence" to support this statement?

I am asking because of reading Blue Zones and what people who are healthy and live long routinely do. It says they eat 3 times a day consuming the reverse of what I do: eating a big breakfast, lighter lunch, and pauper dinner. I eat no breakfast, lighter lunch, heavy dinner? What does the research say with regards to meal timing, distribution of calories, and fasting? Does it matter (from a health perspective) when you eat during a 24 hour period and how much at each sitting? Does it matter how long you go each day before you eat? What does the research say? Does it really matter if someone consumes all there daily calories at one setting, two, three, ...six, etc.? Does timing matter? Fasting long periods daily, okay? My concern is health, esp. blood sugar regulation, etc.

Now let me admit, with regards to fasting, I have read that there is a "feel good" chemical that is released when someone fasts after so long. Also, supposely cognitive abilities increase. It may be why I "enjoy" fasting, too. I feel better and seem "sharper" when I am working. But, I am not seeking pleasure over health. Can you please straighten me out with the evidence on the above concerns? Jeff, I know you are smart and will be able to decipher my many questions here. I think there are about 3-4 in all my rambling? Thanks a bunch!!!

With Metta,

Ginger
veganism4life

Re: Jeff Question: Meal timing, calorie distribution, fastin

Postby JeffN » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:55 am

veganism4life wrote: I walk 5-6 miles every morning, stretch, lift a little and then get to work (mostly thinking activites). From the time I get up (around 7am), I drink only water until my first meal around 3pm (sometimes as late as 5pm). Maintaining a BMI of 16-17 (CRON), I consume about 1300 calories per day.

CRON is an experiment in humans right now so there are more questions that there are answers. However, it is important to know that there are some known cautions and potential problems, especially in those who allow their BMI to get to low, which may include lower bone mass.

I would not recommend anyone to go below a BMI of 18.5 and you can read a thread on Optimal BMI and my thoughts on it here...

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6916

In the WUSTL CRON study, the average BMI of the CRONies was 19.6. After 2 years in the Bisosphere (a semi CRON study led by Ray Walford, MD) the BMI of the men was 19.3 and the BMI of the women was 18.5.

While most CRONies do exercise, most of them limit their activity and have a higher caloric intake. The long-lived Okinawans consumed about 1800 calories/day. In the WUSTL CRON study, the subjects consumed an average of 1,671. An informal survey of the CR Society showed that the average calorie consumption was 1762 cal, with around 1800 for men and around 1500 for women.

veganism4life wrote: What does the research say with regards to meal timing, distribution of calories, and fasting?

It is an interesting topic and I would recommend these threads to you..

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10304

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7671

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby veganism4life » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks for the threads.

Another question: If I eat and then walk afterwards I know my blood sugar starts to fall quicker (using glucose immediately to walk). So, what about eating and then going to sleep. Any adverse effects?

Also, since we don't have the needed research as far as meal timing/calorie distribution, what does your common sense tell you? If someone eats one meal of say 1500 calories verses two meals of 750 each is one easier on the body than th other i.e., not as taxing to the organs.

Thanks Ginger

P.S. I know other CRONies with a BMI lower than 18.5. I guess we are experimenting. But I am going to the journals and reading all of Dr. Fontana and others. Thanks for your concern.
veganism4life

Postby JeffN » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:47 pm

veganism4life wrote: So, what about eating and then going to sleep. Any adverse effects?

If someone was following a healthy diet and lifestyle, then I dont think it would matter much. However, for some people, it interferes with their sleep and so that could be a potential concern.

veganism4life wrote:Also, since we don't have the needed research as far as meal timing/calorie distribution, what does your common sense tell you? If someone eats one meal of say 1500 calories verses two meals of 750 each is one easier on the body than th other i.e., not as taxing to the organs.

I recommend that we eat when we are hungry until we are comfortably full of the recommended foods. Don't stuff and don't starve. Then, when hungry, repeat. :)

veganism4life wrote:I know other CRONies with a BMI lower than 18.5. I guess we are experimenting. But I am going to the journals and reading all of Dr. Fontana and others. Thanks for your concern.

It is a concern that has been stated both publicly and in the literature by the CRON researchers and why I mention it.

BTW, if you are serious about CRON and not a member of their free listserve, you may want to join as it is a very active listserve and there are some great discussions there.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby veganism4life » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:34 am

Jeff,

Thanks so much for your time and knowledge.

Ginger
veganism4life

Return to Jeff Novick, RD