Bad breath

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bad breath

Postby Ursa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:51 am

Dear Jeff,

Dr. mcdougall mentioned that bad breath is due to animal products and once you remove them from your diet bad breath should dissapear. However, after 6 months in the programme bad breath is still present. What are some other foods causing constant bad breath and white tongue and how to “heal” this? I have removed onions and garlic as well from my diet.

Thank you
Ursa

Re: Bad breath

Postby JeffN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 am

Ursa wrote:Dear Jeff,

Dr. mcdougall mentioned that bad breath is due to animal products and once you remove them from your diet bad breath should dissapear. However, after 6 months in the programme bad breath is still present. What are some other foods causing constant bad breath and white tongue and how to “heal” this? I have removed onions and garlic as well from my diet.

Thank you

There are several things that can contribute to bad breath and dietary habits is just one of them. Others, like dental/oral health contribute to over 90% of cases. You should speak to your trusted credible health care professional.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3633265/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Bad breath

Postby Ursa » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:59 am

Thank you for reply. I don’t have any teeth problems as they are in a perfect shape and I’m taking a good care of them but I do still have tonsils so I will take a look at that.
Greets, Ursa
Ursa

Return to Jeff Novick, RD