Another Sunscreen Question

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Another Sunscreen Question

Postby DougJ » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Jeff,

Jeff this may not be strictly a nutrition question, but I was wondering about your thoughts on sunscreen usage for prolonged sun exposure, particularly as it might apply to people eating a whole foods plant based diet like the one you recommend? Right now seem to see many people falling to one side or the other in this debate, with one group saying that sun and UV exposure should be kept at a bare minimum and advocate using sunscreen nearly whenever one is outside. And then there is another group that think its fine to be outside in the sun for extended periods of time and completely unnatural to need to use any type of skin protection and question the safety of the chemicals in sunscreen.

I know Dr. Mcdougall has touched on this before (vhttps://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005n ... nshine.htm), but I was wondering if you have any additional thoughts on the matter. Particularly, I was interested in what you think diet plays a role in the issue and dangers of sun exposure and if you recommend sunscreen usage or believe some are safer than others?
DougJ

Re: Another Sunscreen Question

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59 am

DougJ wrote:Jeff,

Jeff this may not be strictly a nutrition question, but I was wondering about your thoughts on sunscreen usage for prolonged sun exposure, particularly as it might apply to people eating a whole foods plant based diet like the one you recommend? Right now seem to see many people falling to one side or the other in this debate, with one group saying that sun and UV exposure should be kept at a bare minimum and advocate using sunscreen nearly whenever one is outside. And then there is another group that think its fine to be outside in the sun for extended periods of time and completely unnatural to need to use any type of skin protection and question the safety of the chemicals in sunscreen.

I know Dr. Mcdougall has touched on this before (vhttps://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005n ... nshine.htm), but I was wondering if you have any additional thoughts on the matter. Particularly, I was interested in what you think diet plays a role in the issue and dangers of sun exposure and if you recommend sunscreen usage or believe some are safer than others?

We require and benefit from a certain amount of sunshine above and beyond Vitamin D. However, like with most things, too much and too little can create or contribute to problems.

While it depends on you, where you live, etc etc, most of us will do fine with about 15-20 minutes of direct sunlight during peak times, without the use of sunscreen or the equivalent of such. Of course, that has to be adjusted based on the individual and a few other factors.

Outside of that, I think we should minimize our sun exposure but for most of us, that is not a problem as the main issue facing most of us, is not getting enough. We are coming out of a few decades where the main advice was to avoid *all* sun exposure at any cost. We even have clothes, draperies, windows etc that have UV protection in them.

I live in S FL where they sun is very strong most all the year. I enjoy about 15-20 minutes most days of direct sunshine. My Vitamin D levels are excellent. The rest of the day, I always wear a hat, protective sunglasses and light clothing that covers my arms and legs when outside. I almost never use a sunscreen as I have no need nor do try and create one. I am not a sun worshipper and even if I go to the beach, I find a shady spot to relax in.

If someone was to spend an inordinate amount of time in the sun, they now have to figure out a way to protect themselves. Sunscreen is an option that works and the benefit of finding a "safer" one (which I am not going to try and describe here) may (or mostly will) outweigh the risk of too much sun.

Damage from excess sun is real. One only has to look at the skin of many of those who live down here, even as young as 40, who grew up worshipping the sun without fear, to know the reality of this

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Another Sunscreen Question

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:36 am

Are natural sunscreens effective?

https://examine.com/nutrition/are-natur ... effective/

“On their own, natural sunscreens (including oral supplements and plant oils) have not been shown to be sufficiently effective on their own for protecting your skin from the sun's damaging effects. Some can be combined with proven sun-protection methods (sunscreen, clothing, shade) to offer additional sun protection. None should be used as a replacement for sunscreen.“

Bottom line

“The terms “clean” and “natural” are unregulated in the US and don’t guarantee any advantage over traditional sunscreen products.

There is no plant oil or extract that can replace sunscreen. Plant oils may be combined with sunscreens to boost their overall efficacy, but beware that they can also cause allergic skin reactions or irritations in some people.

There is no supplement that can replace sunscreen. Of the ones studied, Polypodium leucotomos shows the greatest promise for possibly acting synergistically when used in tandem with sunscreen or other sun protection methods.”

JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD