Eating raw mushrooms

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eating raw mushrooms

Postby begoon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am

Mushrooms are the staple of my diet. I usually have 300-500g of white/chestnut/closed cup mushrooms with every meal.

In the UK all major grocery chains (Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S, Waitrose, etc) have 150-600g packagings with fresh mushrooms, sometimes even sliced but I prefer whole ones.

I mostly eat them all raw, just wash and brain it thoroughly. They are crunchy and nice to chew to my taste, especially with condiments. Plus, the mushrooms add tremendous volume to everything. I even do oats with mushrooms.

Alas, all canned in water mushrooms are useless and tasteless rubbish, so I stick to fresh ones.

Question: Is it any risk of anything eating mushrooms like me raw? I'm sure that I will not die by poisoning from any raw veggie or fruit if it is washed nicely and bought in a decent grocery store, especially major local chains, but overall, I'm still curious because these mushrooms are my staple.

An example of my typical staple meal at work which I can buy almost anywhere and it takes 5-10 minutes to prepare:
- a pack 300-500g pack of white/chestnut mushrooms
- a 300-400g bag of of raw peeled/sliced carrots
- a can of sweet corn
- a can of beans/lentils/chickpeas/peas
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast flakes

That's literally it. Wash and chop mushrooms to a huge bowl, throw in carrots, corn and beans. Top it all with nutritional yeast flakes and mix everything thoroughly.
Last edited by begoon on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
begoon

Re: Eating raw mushrooms

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:20 am

JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD