Which is more satiating: cold or warm food?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Which is more satiating: cold or warm food?

Postby verde » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Jeff, I got a curiosity question nagging me, so I thought I'd ask you, the expert!
Imagine you got a plate of rice and vegetables (cooked) but you get it in cold form, and in hot form.
Which of the two would be more satiating? And why? Or is it equal in both?

Thank you very much in advance!
verde

Re: Which is more satiating: cold or warm food?

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 am

Are Cold Starches More Satiating....

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29658

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby verde » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:59 am

JeffN wrote:Are Cold Starches More Satiating....

In Health
Jeff

Thanks Jeff! However I wasn't getting to resistant starches nor calories though. I was really just interested in the effects of the temperature of the food on your body once you're eating!
I heard that for instance hot pizza is eaten slower and in less amount relative to cold pizza. Same for burritos, more satisfying in hot form. Not sure if it's true.

This is probably an irrelevant question, but then again, "There is no such thing as a dumb question"*.

*https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/538156-there-are-naive-questions-tedious-questions-ill-phrased-questions-questions-put
verde

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:18 am

verde wrote:
JeffN wrote:Are Cold Starches More Satiating....

In Health
Jeff

Thanks Jeff! However I wasn't getting to resistant starches nor calories though. I was really just interested in the effects of the temperature of the food on your body once you're eating!
I heard that for instance hot pizza is eaten slower and in less amount relative to cold pizza. Same for burritos, more satisfying in hot form. Not sure if it's true.

This is probably an irrelevant question, but then again, "There is no such thing as a dumb question"*.

*https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/538156-there-are-naive-questions-tedious-questions-ill-phrased-questions-questions-put

It is not true.

If there is any impact at all, it’s minuscule compared to what we teach you to focus on.

The only rational scientific reason proposed that made any sense was resistant starch, which I showed had a minuscule impact, if any

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby verde » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to read, carefully ponder about, and answer my outlandish question!

I thought so.
I also wondered if maybe because of its temperature, we eat hot food slower (I've rarely seen anyone willing to swallow fastly a bowl of pippin hot soup, while if the same is cold it can be downed without pain), which leads to the body having more time to savor the food that we're eating, while also lessening the sugar spike effects. And equally we probably give the body time to "register" the fact that we ate and are now satiated. Fact or fiction?

Again, thank you!

PS - Reading your posts on this forum is my daily dose of sanity in this crazy world of ours! Thanks for that! :)
verde

Return to Jeff Novick, RD