1) Vit D; 2) Soy

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

1) Vit D; 2) Soy

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Jeff.

I was at a WFPB pitch in today and a couple topics of conversation came up.

1) It seems pretty clear from your posts on vitamin D that supplementation does not lead to improved health outcomes in adults (osteoporosis, fractures, etc). Am I understanding that correctly? What about Seasonal Affective Disorder?

1a) Vitamin D is heavily promoted to parents by pediatricians, starting from day one (if breastfeeding, put a drop of 200 iu vit d on your nipple prior to nursing once a day. Polyvisol is most commonly recommended in my experience). What are your thoughts on vitamin d and newborns/infants? Is there an appropriate/recommended amount of sun exposure?

2) I’m sure you’ve written at length about soy products as well, but I’m feeling confused. Is it to be minimized due to the high fat content? Or phytoestrogens?

2b) Brenda Davis advocated for 2-4 servings of soy per day in a lecture I saw recently. This seems like a lot. She also mentioned that it helps prevent male patterned baldness and a reduction of prostate problems. Is that true?

We also were trying to figure out a way to get you out here for a lecture. Maybe one day we can get our local Veg Fest to host you!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: 1) Vit D; 2) Soy

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:26 pm

Lyndzie wrote: Hi Jeff.

I was at a WFPB pitch in today and a couple topics of conversation came up.

1) It seems pretty clear from your posts on vitamin D that supplementation does not lead to improved health outcomes in adults (osteoporosis, fractures, etc). Am I understanding that correctly? What about Seasonal Affective Disorder?

1a) Vitamin D is heavily promoted to parents by pediatricians, starting from day one (if breastfeeding, put a drop of 200 iu vit d on your nipple prior to nursing once a day. Polyvisol is most commonly recommended in my experience). What are your thoughts on vitamin d and newborns/infants? Is there an appropriate/recommended amount of sun exposure?

Just to clarify, my position on supplements (which includes a section on Vitamin D).

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/E ... ments.html

Supplements, like medications, should only be dealt with as outlined.

Also, my speciality and focus has always been in Adults so I don't comment on infant nutrition. I know Dr McDougall has. You may want to email Dr McDougall, Mary and/or Heather to find out what they did.

Lyndzie wrote:2) I’m sure you’ve written at length about soy products as well, but I’m feeling confused. Is it to be minimized due to the high fat content? Or phytoestrogens?

Here are two articles on soy that cover my position

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ctive.html

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ng_Up.html

There are probably a few threads in the forum too.

Lyndzie wrote: 2b) Brenda Davis advocated for 2-4 servings of soy per day in a lecture I saw recently. This seems like a lot. She also mentioned that it helps prevent male patterned baldness and a reduction of prostate problems. Is that true?

With all due respect to her, there are no super foods. The whole concept is based on a misunderstanding of food and nutrition. There is nothing in soy that is not in other beans and/or other plant foods, especially in a healthy diet based predominately on minimally processed plants, low in added salt, sugar and oil.

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... Foods.html

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ews!!.html

Or as they say, Show Me The Evidence!

Lyndzie wrote:We also were trying to figure out a way to get you out here for a lecture. Maybe one day we can get our local Veg Fest to host you!

Unfortunately, outside of the McDougall 10-Day Live-In Program, I am not traveling right now. Sorry. :(

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: 1) Vit D; 2) Soy

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 am

Thanks for the response! I'll shoot Dr. McDougall an email about the Vit D and kids.

JeffN wrote:Unfortunately, outside of the McDougall 10-Day Live-In Program, I am not traveling right now. Sorry. :(

Next time you need a break from Florida, maybe a vacation in the Midwest is in order! Haha
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD