Maple syrup is unprocessed?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maple syrup is unprocessed?

Postby Chumly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Jeff,

I was reading the thread on infused vinegars and I read the article you referenced:
A Date With Disaster: The Pleasure Trap of Whole Natural Foods
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... Foods.html

In it you identified honey and maple syrup as natural and unprocessed. I don't understand how maple syrup can be considered natural and unprocessed. It takes approximately 40 gallons of maple tree sap to be filtered/boiled down to make a gallon of maple syrup. The tree sap tastes like lightly sweetened sugar water and is very different from maple syrup.

Michael
Chumly

Re: Maple syrup is unprocessed?

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Chumly wrote:Hi Jeff,

I was reading the thread on infused vinegars and I read the article you referenced:
A Date With Disaster: The Pleasure Trap of Whole Natural Foods
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... Foods.html

In it you identified honey and maple syrup as natural and unprocessed. I don't understand how maple syrup can be considered natural and unprocessed. It takes approximately 40 gallons of maple tree sap to be filtered/boiled down to make a gallon of maple syrup. The tree sap tastes like lightly sweetened sugar water and is very different from maple syrup.

Michael

Hmmm....

What I was saying is that there are those who consider that they are "natural" and "unprocessed" (that is why I put them in quotes) but either way, it is irrelevant to the main health issue, "the real issue is not sugar, or whether the sugar is "whole," "natural," "plant" or "unprocessed," (again, in quotes because these are terms people use to describe food implying that this is what makes them healthy) but the concentration of the sugar. Again, concentration is the real issue."

That is why I started the article by saying..

"For instance, we often hear words such as "whole," "natural," "plant," "unprocessed," etc., in relation to the health aspects of a food. Foods, recipes and products are frequently promoted as being healthy and often solely based on these descriptions."

From my perspective (and the legal definition) virtually everything we consume is processed in some way or another so processing, in and of itself, is not an issue.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD