Speed of nutrient absorption and exercise recovery

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Speed of nutrient absorption and exercise recovery

Postby geo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:00 am

Hi Jeff,

When eating a diet such as the MWL how fast do the macro and micro nutrients in the food become available and utilized by the body? I know that in my case full digestion (eating to elimination) seems to take about 16-18 hours. But I would think that all or much of the nutrients become available far quicker than that. Are some nutrients available faster than others?

My context is in post workout meals. It appears that the science leans towards eating a post workout meal within 15-60 mins as this is when recovery begins and greatest nutrient availability is needed. I have no idea if this is really true or if it's just more junk "bro" science and marketing crap for potions and pills.

But I know from a whole body perspective that full recovery from workouts can take 48-96 hours or more depending on factors such as intensity, volume, current fitness level, etc... So from that perspective it does seem as if immediate nutrient availability (such as 15-60 mins after workout) is not all that important and its simply more important to just eat your food when the need arises, i.e., when hunger strikes.

What are your thoughts on this whole "nutrient timing" business in context to exercise, bogus or real? My mind says bogus as to nutrient timing, and that I should just follow my gut (i.e, hunger). If I workout and crave food afterwards, then just eat until I'm comfortably full.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Speed of nutrient absorption and exercise recovery

Postby JeffN » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:09 am

geo wrote:What are your thoughts on this whole "nutrient timing" business in context to exercise, bogus or real? My mind says bogus as to nutrient timing.

It is of no value for those following my exercise guidelines as outlined in this forum. :)

Correct, follow the guidelines as recommended.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD