Insulin resistance - sugars in ketchup, relish, BBQ sauce, ?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Insulin resistance - sugars in ketchup, relish, BBQ sauce, ?

Postby Janeykhan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Jeff,
I'm just starting this diet and have questions about using products that contain sugars, such as health food store ketchup, relish, BBQ sauce, and fruit juice sweetened cereals.

I weigh 275 lbs and have big-time insulin resistance.

I really dislike porridge, so I have using a fat free cereal made with fruit juice. Nature's Path gluten free Mesa Sunrise cereal made with corn, flax, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth. I'm having this with raisins and almond milk. Will this set me back due to the sugars?

I love potatoes, but I can't eat them plain and I was wondering if I can use health food store ketchup?

Can I use relish in sandwiches. The relish contains sugar?

I would like to succeed and am trying to find ways to manage. I work full time and commute 1.5 hours a day. I'm in Toronto Canada, so not all US products are available here.

Thank you
Janeykhan

Re: Insulin resistance - sugars in ketchup, relish, BBQ sauc

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:06 am

Janeykhan wrote: I weigh 275 lbs and have big-time insulin resistance.

And these are directly related with the excess weight and excess body fat being a major contributor to the IR.

In order to be successful, we have to understand what the problem is and direct the majority of our efforts at what are the biggest contributors to the problem. Otherwise, we become frustrated and dejected.

In regard to losing weight, there is no better approach then the principles of calorie density. There is a sticky in this forum where I have collected all the best resources on calorie density for you. Calorie density is like horse shoes, even if you get close, you will win. Therefore, follow the principles and work on getting the bigger picture down first before you worry about the much finer details.

In regard to insulin resistance, this is also addressed in this forum

Janeykhan wrote:I would like to succeed and am trying to find ways to manage. I work full time and commute 1.5 hours a day. I'm in Toronto Canada, so not all US products are available here.

Fortunately for all of us, this program is based on real foods, which are available anywhere and everywhere, and not food product. The base of this program is fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, root/tubers, winter squash and legumes/pulses including beans, peas and lentils. There foods are available around the world and are the same foods all the longest lived healthiest people have strived on. Sure, their staple of each group may be different, but these are the staple groups they form the basic of their diet and our program. You don't have to like every variety of every food, just find and pick the ones you do.

It may be of benefit to you to take some time and read through the hot topics and the FAQ here and also at the main site. You can also search this forum and can find many threads on the topic. I would also recommend starting a journal in the appropriate section and also joining the MWL forum and the monthly weigh-ins were you can receive valuable support from the forum members

We also have a members profile forum, where you can read about forum members, and their experience with the program, so you can better get to know who you are taking to and find someone you can relate to.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD