Journey Back to Health and Sanity

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Journey Back to Health and Sanity

Postby moonspirit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:57 am

Hi everyone,

I (re)started the McDougall Plan just over 2 weeks ago. I'm doing MWL. I first started McDougalling on Tax Day 1991, when I was 25. My (now-ex) husband and I had decided to become vegetarian on the first of that month, and spent 2 weeks reading everything we could about it, starting with Diet for a Small Planet, then Diet for a New America, and then finally the original "McDougall Plan". (There weren't a lot of books available at that time on vegetarianism, lol.)

Both of us were in our twenties, and within a few months we were both down to goal weight. I lost 40 pounds and my husband lost about 70. I got pregnant about a year later and decided to add a bit of non-oil fat back into my diet. At the end of my pregnancy (still pregnant), I weighed about the same as I had before I lost the weight. It took me only one month to return to goal weight after my son was born.

I stayed vegan for 13 years. During that time, I had a second child, and I breastfed both of them until they were 3. It was easy to keep the weight off, even though there was more fat in my diet. When my husband and I split up several years later, I dated other people who were vegan but ate junk food, or who ate fairly healthfully but ate fish, or whatever. My dietary habits started to slide. But I stayed mostly vegan, and was active. I stayed within about 15 pounds of goal.

When I married my current husband 12 years ago, I was in a healthy period, eating lower-fat vegan (though I did include a bit of olive oil), and no junk food or alcohol. He has always been super thin and could eat whatever he wanted. Dairy started creeping in, fish, eggs, occasional chicken. Meanwhile, my kids' dad started barbecuing and going high-meat. So family gatherings became a meat fest (I limited myself to fish for a while, but ate other high-fat foods like potato salad (made with olive oil instead of mayo) and corn-on-the-cob with "avocado butter" (avocados mixed with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder). I congratulated myself on healthy, plant-based options. But my weight creeped up, only kept at bay by my active lifestyle.

Things really started to go downhill about 5 years ago, when I went back to work full time and suddenly became sedentary. I put on 30 pounds in the first 2 years, and then managed to "maintain" that for the past 3 by eliminating junk food and trying various dieting schemes that were hard to stick to. My weight has been between 180-185 for the past year or so; it was a little higher before that. But I've developed some health issues that are impacting my enjoyment of life: high blood pressure for the first time; asthma; aches and pains; inflexibility.

My goal is to see where I'm at when I reach 130. From past experience, that's a good weight for me when I am active and maintaining strength. I am 5'8".

This new phase of the journey also coincides with my quitting my full-time job (Friday June 29 was my last day!). I'm going to continue working very part time (about 10 hours/week) for the summer, and then decrease it more in the Fall so I can go back to school to get a long-desired counseling degree.

My goals are simple: maintain the MWL diet until I reach goal, and to exercise daily. With the exercise, I am mostly walking the hilly area where I live, and being more active in general (less time at the computer). I have a lot of vacation and retreat time this summer, so I'm keeping everything simple. Simple food and simple exercise.

When school starts, I plan to join the rec center and start lifting weights again. It will be great to have an indoor place to do cardio as well, since smoke and dust in the dry valley where I live can sometimes keep me inside. By that time, I hope to be down to a weight where exercise is more comfortable.

My goal with this thread is to make a weekly progress report. I'll start that with the next post.
moonspirit

Re: Journey Back to Health and Sanity

Postby moonspirit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:18 am

I keep a log of my weight and measurements (waist, hip, thigh, bust) in an Excel spreadsheet. I also keep track of exercise and what else is going on (like my cycle or whether I'm on retreat or vacation, etc.)

My starting weight was 185.
My weight after week one was 178.8.
My weight after week two was 177.7 (though I had been down to 176.5 at one point during the week.

My waist measurement was 38" when I started, and 36.5" after both weeks one and two.

I started 6/16/18, and have mostly stuck to plan. I had some beer last week, and it negatively impacted both my weight and how I felt, so I will not be repeating that.

We are traveling at the moment, visiting family, but I am sticking to it. Yesterday (our travel day) was challenging but I did it.

Typical food:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with berries or chopped apple
Lunch and Dinner: typically quinoa, potatoes, or sweet potatoes with steamed greens, asparagus, or broccoli.
Snack: Green smoothie with spinach or kale (about 2 cups packed), water, chocolate-flavored pea-protein powder, and 1 cup frozen blueberries (I probably won't do much of this on vacation). Sometimes I just eat berries. I'm in Oregon right now, and admit to having an unquenchable desire for berries and cherries, since they are abundant and luscious this time of year.

Travel day food (yesterday):
Oatmeal with frozen wild blueberries and 1/2 tsp brown sugar
Green smoothie
Late "lunch" at the airport: Chipotle ripoff restaurant (build your own burrito bar)... white rice (the only rice option not glistening with oil), black beans (no oil detected), corn salsa (oil free), lettuce, pico de gallo (oil free). No tortilla. The hard part was saying no to guacamole. Lol.
Bought groceries upon arrival, and ate a half-pint of golden raspberries, a dozen or so plump blueberries, a dozen or so Raineer cherries.
Dinner: I made a no oil stir-fry: onions, asparagus, broccoli, sugar-snap peas, with quinoa. I made a light coconut sauce and fried (with a small amount of oil) tofu for the others, but didn't eat it myself.

Feel good about my progress so far.
moonspirit

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:31 am

We're the same age, and I was also an early McDougall Plan follower, now coming back to it. Glad to be on the journey with you!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby moonspirit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:09 pm

That's excellent, Idgie. I'm definitely glad to be back on track. I've noticed that you post in the MWL check-in threads too - I'll look for you there!
moonspirit

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals