Journal for Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal for Health

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Ooh, root canal! I hesitated too. Hemmed and hawed, and finally had it done. No regrets. And now I have a tooth that stays smooth and white all the time ;) Hopefully your procedure will go smoothly. Are you getting a crown?

I hear you on the starches. I got to where I was eating beans and starch (bread/tortilla, rice, potatoes) for every meal, and oatmeal for breakfast. But it's super easy to stir a cup of torn spinach leaves into a bowl of lentils, or kale cooks up fast in a skillet, sliced cabbage added to stir fry vegs adds green leafies...etc. Heck, even a pile of spinach on the side of a serving of rice and beans, microwave, and ZING...cooked spinach on the side.

Have fun with the meal planning. Maybe you'll try some new recipes :-D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby keithswife » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:33 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Ooh, root canal! I hesitated too. Hemmed and hawed, and finally had it done. No regrets. And now I have a tooth that stays smooth and white all the time ;) Hopefully your procedure will go smoothly. Are you getting a crown?

Oh yes, I need a crown, too. I guess I waited so long because I was mad at my dentist. It was just a routine filling, and she drilled too deep and damaged the nerve. She will admit to nothing, so here I am getting a root canal and a crown. Oh well, worse things have happened to nicer people than me. :)

In the name of full disclosure, I need to admit to a cookie binge yesterday. Hubby had a meeting with the big bosses at his job yesterday. The result is some major changes and a few worries for us about job security. So to smooth things over, hubby brought home bakery cookies that were leftover from the meeting. Son and I gobbled them up toot sweet while listening to hubby's tales of woe. Cookies are my one weakness. They are to me like krytonite is to Superman. So, I got to spend the night with heartburn, digestive distress, and guilt for eating those things. And contrary to what my brain assured me at the time, they didn't make me feel any better about hubby's job. :duh:

I'm also getting back into the bad habit of not wanting to leave my house. So, we will be back to mandatory walks and horseback riding. Honestly, why would anyone want to waste their whole life on a couch inside a house when there is a whole world outside waiting to be explored? I'm not sure what the heck is wrong with me.

But anyway, here's the food plan for today:

B- whole wheat flax and blue berry pancake
L.- leftover baked beans and spinach (thanks for the idea, Buns!) over a baked potato
D- the rice and veggies I was going to eat last night
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby Morris » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am

I go to one dentist that is run by a couple of people, I had some major work done by the owner, she requested to do the work. But now that the work is completed, I am going to request the other dentist. This one said, "ooops", '"what was I doing", "did I already do that?" etc. I hate going to the dentist in the first place and hearing things like that does not give me much comfort while being at her mercy.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby keithswife » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:30 pm

This day has gotten away from me. A friend called me this morning and sucked me into some drama she's having. That took no less than three hours to resolve. I didn't have breakfast until almost noon, and lunch was at about 3:30. I can't seem to get psyched up enough to work at my job, but that has to change here real soon. And my fully capable son loves it best when mommy makes his lunch. Gah! I need to stop being such a push over and take care of my own business before getting sucked into someone else's. And I need to stop drinking so much coffee.

I found a recipe for making baked seitan as opposed to the normal simmered kind. I made some in the crockpot once. I'm not sure what I did to it, but it turned into a giant sauce sucking sponge. It didn't taste right either, so I threw it out. I'm hoping by baking it into a slice-able loaf I can use it to make sandwiches. With all the summer activities ramping up, I need something on hand that I can make quick meals out of.

Today's Eats

B- whole wheat flax pancake
L- mock tuna salad sandwich, fat free pretzels
D-(hopefully) baked setian and oven fries
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am

Morris wrote:I go to one dentist that is run by a couple of people, I had some major work done by the owner, she requested to do the work. But now that the work is completed, I am going to request the other dentist. This one said, "ooops", '"what was I doing", "did I already do that?" etc. I hate going to the dentist in the first place and hearing things like that does not give me much comfort while being at her mercy.

That's the same thing the gal was saying when she did my tooth. :mad: I clearly heard her say, "I think I got down too deep" at least once. I'm definitely not picking her the next time I need work done. Hopefully tomorrow's work will fix everything and I will be pain free.

My baked seitan turned out beautifully. Which surprised me, because when I was mixing it up I realized the recipe called for tomato paste and I only had sauce on hand. I guessed on the liquid part and it turned out just fine. I ate it with red peppers, zucchini and bbq sauce. It was out of this world good.

Today's eats:

B- Grape Nuts with soy milk
L- at Red Robin with my son. Vegan burger on whole wheat bun, steamed broccoli
D-leftover BBQ seitan and veggies
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Got the first step in my dental work over with: the dreaded root canal. It wasn't painful, but a bit traumatic because of the smells and a bit of smoke :shock: . Next will be back to my regular dentist for a permanent filling and then the crown. I'm so happy that the cold sensitivity is gone. That was getting impossible to live with.

I dug out some of my old Joanne Stepaniak cookbooks yesterday and made her mac n cheez. I didn't add the oil, and it turned out great. Thick globby goodness that has the mouth feel of the real thing without all the high fat nastiness. I've resisted using nutritional yeast for a long time, just because it seemed so weird to me. I tried it years ago and it was awful. This time, I ordered the high quality stuff and it tastes much better. Slowly but surely I'm getting the hang of this McDougalling thing.

Today's Eats:

B- grape nuts cereal and soy milk
L- mac n cheez, steamed broccoli
Dinner- mock tuna salad sandwich, pretzels
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:11 am

it was a strange weekend. Saturday the guys went to a baseball game, so I was home alone to catch up on work and laundry. I really didn't feel like cooking at all, so I munched away on leftovers. Sunday we went to take hubby to his favorite restaurant, but they weren't opening until later in the day for some reason. We went to Red Robin instead, and I tried to choke down their veggie burger with steamed broccoli. It was nasty as usual. There's some ingredient they put in it that just doesn't taste right to me. So, there I sit watching husband and son merrily enjoying their food and I get real angry that I'm stuck eating crap (read: pity party). I announced to all that I was getting a hot fudge sundae to celebrate my ability to eat cold things again since my dental work. So, I ate one.

And ... it wasn't as good as I remembered. Too sweet and heavy. I paid dearly for it the rest of the day. Then my son told me that he thought I was complaining too much about my food, which in hindsight I really was. :oops: It was my idea to eat this way, so why should my poor family have to listen to me complain about it every minute of the day? I resolved to keep my mouth shut and learn how to cook the best food I can make. Maybe, just maybe, they might want to try some of it. Who can blame them for not wanting to eat like I do if all they hear is how miserable I am. I reminded myself of this resolve again this morning after I forgot to mist the pan I make my pancake in and it stuck. I scraped it out and ate it anyway. It wasn't half bad. :)

Today's Eats:

B: shredded whole wheat and flax pancake with coffee
L: pinto beans over cooked kale, cornbread
D: leftovers from lunch
keithswife

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 am

keithswife wrote:Got the first step in my dental work over with: the dreaded root canal. It wasn't painful, but a bit traumatic because of the smells and a bit of smoke :shock: . Next will be back to my regular dentist for a permanent filling and then the crown. I'm so happy that the cold sensitivity is gone. That was getting impossible to live with.

I dug out some of my old Joanne Stepaniak cookbooks yesterday and made her mac n cheez. I didn't add the oil, and it turned out great. Thick globby goodness that has the mouth feel of the real thing without all the high fat nastiness. I've resisted using nutritional yeast for a long time, just because it seemed so weird to me.I tried it years ago and it was awful. This time, I ordered the high quality stuff and it tastes much better. Slowly but surely I'm getting the hang of this McDougalling thing.

I laugh at the nooch yeast comment, because yesterday when I was using it as an ingredient in a recipe, when I opened my little tupperware container of it, it smelled like FEET! and I LOVED IT! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But yeah, everyone needs a mac and not-cheese recipe that turns out gloppy and stretchy like the real thing :D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby keithswife » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am

A little TMI Buns, but I also discovered that nooch turns my pee a florescent lime yellow green. I guess it's chock full of riboflavin, but I admit I panicked and googled that one, lol! Oh the joys of a WFPB diet. :D

Yesterday was a bust. I picked my kid up from baseball camp and he was starving and wanted to go to Subway. We got there, and they had a line of people waiting that was out the door. Dairy Queen looked the same, so the only other quick option in my small town was Pizza Hut. At least they have a salad bar, I thought. We get there and it's full of hungry construction workers who had the buffet picked clean and the salad bar trashed. Honestly, what was left of the salad bar looked like a great place to get food poisoning, so I sucked it up and ate a few slices of cheese pizza that might have had a bit of sausage on it. Made sure the kid got enough to eat and we came home. I only had salad for dinner to try to offset the heavy lunch. I feel no worse for wear, but next time I'll just wait and eat at home.

I'm experimenting with cutting down my portion sizes and adding more variety to my meals. Hopefully this will get the weight loss moving in the right direction. I haven't been eating near enough veggies and fruit, so I will add more of those and cut back on the starch instead of eating one huge plate of starch and calling it dinner. I also need to make a big pot of veggie soup for the times when I just can't choke down the salad greens.
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:52 pm

So my latest trick to fool myself into eating more veggies and fruit is to think of lunch and dinner as three course affairs. A starter of salad or veggie soup, a main course of a starch + one veggie, and a dessert of fruit. I've also added a small serving of fruit to my blue berry pancake that I eat for breakfast most days. I've also cut my portions way down to accommodate the extra veggies and fruit. This is forcing me to stop eating so fast, which will help.

I'm not exercising at all, and that needs to change. I went to the farm to ride my horse this afternoon, but the flies were so bad that I just gave him a good grooming and called it a day. I should force myself to take a walk after dinner tonight. I can at least muster up 30 minutes of walking around the block.

Today's Eats:

B- whole wheat and blue berry pancake, 1/2 a banana, coffee
L- green salad, split pea soup with a slice of wheat bread, 1/2 a banana
D-small portion of split pea soup, baked potato topped with spinach, grapes
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:48 am

A bad attitude will get you nowhere. I've had a full 2 weeks of eating crap and complaining about absolutely anyone and everything. All because I wanted to go out and eat and have a good meal like everyone else. But really? All my GERD symptoms are back in full force and I've only myself to blame. Exercise has been non-existent, save for some redecorating projects we're doing on the house.

I re-read my first post in this journal that I wrote when I was scared of my genetic testing results (that may or may not be accurate, depending on who you talk to). While fear is a great motivator, I don't think it's the best one. I remember reading on the internet some time ago about finding your "why". Simon Sinek wrote a book about it, but free resources abound on the topic. Your "why" is what motivates you, why you want to change, clearly setting goals, etc. I may look into that and see if I can't get myself back on course. I fall to easily into a deep, dark depression where all I do is exist, not live. I honestly want to live, and be as healthy as I can.
keithswife

Postby Idgie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm with you. We can do this!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby keithswife » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:01 am

Idgie wrote:I'm with you. We can do this!

Hi Idgie, welcome aboard! 8) I appreciate the encouragement. I ate too much yesterday, but today is another day, and I'm off to a good start.

I'll pulled out my old "12 Days to Dynamic Health" book last night and gave it a good read. I had missed some important information the last time I read it, so I'm glad I took the time to review it. I've set some goals for myself:

3 compliant meals a day, no snacking (I barely move off the couch, so certainly don't need the snacks)
30 minutes of walking or other mild aerobic exercise daily
30 minutes of mild strength training, 6 days a week.

To me, this seems like a lot of time consuming stuff, but really, just logging off Facebook and avoiding click bait will give me plenty of time to do this. :roll:

Today's Eats:

Breakfast- piece of cornbread with honey, strawberries
Lunch- broccoli slaw, pinto beans, kale and grapes
Dinner-carrot sticks, veggie hot dog, baked beans, strawberries
keithswife

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:07 am

oh boy, depression :(

Have you ever heard of SAM-e? It pulled me out of depression without the foggy 2 week "upload" that SSRIs produce. Many years ago, shortly after Xmas, I was outside playing with my kids and went...wait a minute? I feel good! I am not exhausted! It was a few days after starting SAM-e. I took it every day until starting McDougalling which seems to have cured my depression. The brand I used is Nature's Way, and I always bought it at Costco. My daughter is taking SAM-e for a bad post partum depression and swears by it, and I recommend it a lot.

But really, eating this way, with whole starches as your main calorie source, has done more to eliminate depression for me, and since it's all in the foods I am eating, I don't have the added expense of the supplement. Isn't it odd, how we KNOW that food affects so many aspects of our lives. Not just weight, but mood, joint pain, stomach issues, brain fogginess, energy levels, monthly cycle symptoms, EVERYTHING...and yet we insist on eating the stuff that causes these things. Because we WANT it. Because EVERYONE ELSE IS waaaaah.

I've been there, recently. But Idgie's right: We can do it. Let's DO IT!!!!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby keithswife » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I'm definitely going to check out the SAM-e. Thanks for the tip. I don't want to go on the prescription stuff. I did that before and the side effects were terrible. Thanks, Buns.
keithswife

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals