On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby moonlight » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:58 am

I like your walking data! Good for you. Joining a group to meet goals is awesome. And, having the long-term goal for the end of the year. I love it! I'll be rooting for you! I need a good habit of routine exercise. I'll go for a week or so, then drop off. It's the first thing to go when I get busy. Wishing you success!!
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:03 pm

moonlight wrote:I like your walking data! Good for you. Joining a group to meet goals is awesome. And, having the long-term goal for the end of the year. I love it! I'll be rooting for you! I need a good habit of routine exercise. I'll go for a week or so, then drop off. It's the first thing to go when I get busy. Wishing you success!!

Thanks, Moonlight! Really appreciate the support. I completely understand about exercise being first to go when busy! It has worked so far for me doing first thing in the AM. Was really hard to make myself get up at first and some days I would only do 10 minutes - because I kept hitting snooze on alarm. Not a morning person. :D Now, I get up before the alarm... Wishing you the best in finding what may work for you!! :)
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:16 pm

So, quick post that on Sunday I did the unthinkable... :D Just kidding.

On day 2 of no coffee. I can't say that I feel great, but not so bad. I made an in the moment decision that maybe I didn't "need" it when I woke up both Saturday and Sunday at 5 AM. With nowhere to be... I got in walk, read the paper, made and ate breakfast, took a shower - before anyone else was up here...

A little bit of tiredness in late AM and a slower GI trajectory (:D - stole that from a thread from another forum) are only current symptoms ...so, will be keeping on to get the monkey off my back.

Wasn't a heavy coffee drinker, but 1-2 cups black each morning.

Happy Monday!
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Vintagesan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 am

Hi Stephanie,

I take my hat off to you! I didn't manage to give up coffee completely but I was a heavy heavy (did I meantion heavy already) coffee drinker and now I only drink 1-2 cups a day. But I do not need coffee to wake up anymore which is very good for the people around me. Just some weeks ago it was life-threatening to cross my way before the first cup :twisted: It's 2:18 pm over here and I am having my first cup. :)
Vintagesan

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 am

Isn't that funny, my body literally rejected coffee about two weeks in. I had been a one pot a day coffee drinker: Two mugs in the morning, and at least one mug after work, if not two. Black. Then I found myself not needing the afternoon mug. Then one morning I took a sip of my morning coffee and it jolted me so hard I could feel my adrenal glands trembling. :lol:

Nowadays I have maybe a cup a week, mostly for the flavor since the caffeine still is sorta jolty. anyway...it's acid-causing so we're better off without it but I figure if you're doing everything else, maybe a cup of coffee a day isn't a big deal. ;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 am

Vintagesan wrote:Hi Stephanie,

I take my hat off to you! I didn't manage to give up coffee completely but I was a heavy heavy (did I meantion heavy already) coffee drinker and now I only drink 1-2 cups a day. But I do not need coffee to wake up anymore which is very good for the people around me. Just some weeks ago it was life-threatening to cross my way before the first cup :twisted: It's 2:18 pm over here and I am having my first cup. :)

Hi Vintagesan, I understand that "life-threatening to cross my way before the first cup". :mrgreen: Good on you for reducing!!!

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Isn't that funny, my body literally rejected coffee about two weeks in. I had been a one pot a day coffee drinker: Two mugs in the morning, and at least one mug after work, if not two. Black. Then I found myself not needing the afternoon mug. Then one morning I took a sip of my morning coffee and it jolted me so hard I could feel my adrenal glands trembling. :lol:

Nowadays I have maybe a cup a week, mostly for the flavor since the caffeine still is sorta jolty. anyway...it's acid-causing so we're better off without it but I figure if you're doing everything else, maybe a cup of coffee a day isn't a big deal. ;)

Hi Buns,

Awesome how you stopped wanting coffee a couple of weeks in and almost completely eliminated. :D

I stopped because I didn't want the bp rise before going to work - where the stress has been high recently... :\

Do you have another hot drink that you like? I was thinking of herbal tea for when it gets cooler...

VegSeekingFit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:Isn't that funny, my body literally rejected coffee about two weeks in. I had been a one pot a day coffee drinker: Two mugs in the morning, and at least one mug after work, if not two. Black. Then I found myself not needing the afternoon mug. Then one morning I took a sip of my morning coffee and it jolted me so hard I could feel my adrenal glands trembling. :lol:

Hi Buns,

Awesome how you stopped wanting coffee a couple of weeks in and almost completely eliminated. :D

I stopped because I didn't want the bp rise before going to work - where the stress has been high recently... :\

Do you have another hot drink that you like? I was thinking of herbal tea for when it gets cooler...

For a long time I drank green tea. Gunpowder green tea is SO yummy. But recently I quit that, because of the high fluoride content, and just drink a variety of herbals, mostly Celestial Seasonings. Their Tension Tamer is so good and DOES have a calming effect. Bengal Spice tastes like chai. The Cinnamon Apple Orchard blend is flavorful. Etc. Yep, herbal teas and water are what I drink.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 am

Happy Friday!! Blissfully off work today and will be reading out on the deck shortly. :-D Have a couple of errands to run, but otherwise going to chill out (in the 85+ weather). :cool:

I am down 3.8 lbs. from last Friday - to 118.6 (a weight I haven't seen for about 10 years) - BMI 19.7.

Today's Eats:

B: Honeydew melon & cantaloupe with a handful of raspberries, potato waffle, black beans, red onions

L: (soon!) Veggie stew, tomato, red pepper, apricot

D: Will probably be brown rice with either oven roasted or water fried veggies

For the week, I ate a lot of veggie stew. Had it for breakfast and sometimes had it for dinner. Continued on with the red lentil chili most days for lunch and having 2-3 raw veggies and 2-3 raw fruits during the day. Made some different oven roasted veggies for dinner - tried cauliflower with Frank's hot sauce which was delicious. Did not eat out at all this past week. :-D Did not do any "exceptions" to MWL food this week. I did continue on with the "no coffee" - so on day 6 without my cuppa. I think the coffee is going the way of the diet pop - bye bye bye.

Weekly Movement:

I was less active than last week due to not being able to consistently walk a bit at lunch - most were taken by work meetings. However, I did maintain consistency in morning walks even though they were a bit shorter overall. Still exceeded the 4.5 hour goal for AM walks for this month. I haven't yet met my goal on the resistance training. Resisting that... :lol: It is needed and I know it. Maybe my plan wasn't so great and I should take a class or something instead. We have an excellent gym at work and they are having some of these classes outside for the summer - like where they set up an obstacle course. Not sure I want to display my lack of prowess here, but maybe should just give it a go.

Decided that I will record my miles for the month.

Date...AM Mi....Time...Pace....Total Daily Mi.
7/6....4.2...…..68...….16:22....6.0
7/7....6.5...….106...….16:16....7.2
7/8....4.2...…..69...….16:29....5.0
7/9....2.6...…..41...….16:04....6.0
7/10...3.3...…..51...…15:27....6.9
7/11...2.4...…..39...…15:57....6.3
7/12...2.4...…..37...…15:46....6.4

Moment of Zen:

* There will be a plant based potluck in August! I am so excited to meet some like-minded people in person! Ironically, got an email about this a day or two after posting that I didn't know anyone who ate like this in real life. Woot!! :-D

* Butterflies!! A few different kinds in the garden. So beautiful!

Quote of the Week:

"I am not afraid of storms. I am learning how to sail my ship." - Louisa May Alcott

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:19 am

For a long time I drank green tea. Gunpowder green tea is SO yummy. But recently I quit that, because of the high fluoride content, and just drink a variety of herbals, mostly Celestial Seasonings. Their Tension Tamer is so good and DOES have a calming effect. Bengal Spice tastes like chai. The Cinnamon Apple Orchard blend is flavorful. Etc. Yep, herbal teas and water are what I drink.

Buns, That sounds so good!! I have some of the Tension Tamer in the pantry -- but the Cinnamon Apple Orchard sounds like it might even be good cold. Going to buy a box of one of the fruity flavors. Thanks! :D

VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:57 am

That's great you are able to lose that much weight in a week when you are so close to your optimal. You are inspiring me! :D
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 pm

moonlight wrote:That's great you are able to lose that much weight in a week when you are so close to your optimal. You are inspiring me! :D

Hi Moonlight! :D

You inspire me with your well worded supportive posts on this forum, your "grit and determination", your consistency, your garden, etc.! I think we can all learn from each other - as well as all of the top notch free material for success on this board!! :D

My lbs. loss this week was my highest since I started. I did nothing different. I did "peek" at weight on Thursday and it was .4 lbs higher. Still wondered why losing more when closer to optimal.... I'll take it... :D But seriously, I only lost 2.6 lbs. in my first month. Some of that was due to my own choices - that were compliant, but higher on calorie density. Like too many beans and dry cereal - shredded wheat and puffed rice / puffed kamut.

You have got this! With your great tracking by rule, you know what to do. :D

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

This Week

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Hey - It's Friday / Weigh In Day Again... :-D

I am down .2 lbs this week to 118.4. Think loss may be slowing as I'm closer to my own "ideal weight" - whatever that is... I do still have weight to lose - own both a scale and a mirror... :lol:

Has been a ridiculously busy week at work and a challenging week with news of outsourcing "hitting home". Anyway, no reasons to panic and no reasons to eat anything different - so, just carrying on. I had a bigger "crisis" point early in my journey this year where if anytime to fall back to old habits, I would have done so. Much more emotional. I literally just talked myself down ("Man up, Stephanie..." :lol: ) and ate potatoes.

Today's Eats:

B: Small apple, small orange, potato waffle, black beans smashed with red onions in corn tortilla

L: Honeydew melon and cantaloupe, Rice and roasted portabella mushrooms and bell peppers with red onions - topped with a splash of low-sodium tamari and a sprinkle of sesame seeds --- this was a really large serving and I snacked on it also in the afternoon

D: Still not hungry - when I get hungry it will be some veggie soup

I made 8 qts. of veggie soup on Monday and brought this for lunch to work all week (and ate for breakfast or dinner some days). Tinkering with my cut and dump veggie stew recipe (which was for 5 qts.). This round was:

28 oz. can NSA crushed tomatoes
12 oz. can NSA diced tomatoes
4 c. low-sodium veg broth
4 c. water
4 lbs. chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
1 lb. chopped carrots
1 lb. mushrooms
2 really HUGE red onions, chopped
4 t. minced garlic
Italian Seasoning

Cook on low for 8 hours. Eat. Portion out and refrigerate or freeze excess.

Still going with the no diet pop, no coffee, reduced sodium things. Has not been a problem. On day 13 of "no cuppa coffee". Funny, now some days my family isn't drinking it (because someone's not starting the pot? )…

Weekly Movement:

I was a bit more active (except on one really slothful day) than last week. Was able to take a walk at lunch in addition to the AM one a couple of days at work.

Exceeded the 4.5 hr/wk walking goal. Was not the week to try to kick-start the resistance training goal. Maybe I move that one to August and draw out a better plan to implement.

Below are my miles for this week. The overall daily ones only track where I was with my phone. So, the one day that looks like epic fail -- may still be really bad, but I probably walked some multiple of miles reflected. 1 /21 days so far, so not going to beat myself up - but move on.

Date...AM Mi....Time...Pace....Total Daily Mi.
7/13....4.9...…..76...….15:30....6.5
7/14....0.0...….000...….xxxxx...0.4 :oops: :oops:
7/15....6.0...…..96...….16:00....7.1
7/16....3.7...…..63...….17:02....4.5
7/17....2.8...…..43...….15:29....5.7
7/18....3.5...…..54...….15:30....8.0
7/19....3.9...…..62...….15:53....7.5

Moment of Zen:

* Container garden is starting to produce tomatoes and peppers! Delicious!! (I am still greedy for a bigger garden, but this has been a good compromise this year...)

* Bats flying overhead at night - they eat mosquitoes...

Quote of the Week:

"In the long run, men only hit what they aim at. Therefore, they had better aim at something high." - Henry David Thoreau

Happy Weekend!

Cheers,

Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Quick post - got in walk today on the treadmill … was raining on and off today. Made me think that I will really need to consider how to change up exercise when the weather gets cold. I am not loving every day treadmill... but also not loving winter walks outside!! :D Still time to plan.

Have been having for dinner most nights a random bowl of veggies (cooked + raw) and starch. Have been loving roasting on parchment paper a cookie sheet of veggies (like tonight was red bell pepper + portabella mushroom), preparing a starch (rice, potato, corn), adding a couple of handfuls of raw veggies (onion, jalapeno, bean sprouts, etc.) and splashing with a bit of low sodium tamari. So easy. If too many veggies, I save them to eat for breakfast or lunch the next day.

Went to the International Market today - and am always impressed with it! So quick to shop there! About 1/3 of the space is dedicated to produce. That's mostly what I buy there - so can navigate through in about 10 minutes. Also, can pick up the beloved LaCroix in various flavors. They have a $.99 cent rack - which I have been buying about 1-2 items / trip. Today was cauliflower, so will be roasting this tomorrow with Frank's Red Sauce.

Probably hanging out here more to keep myself mindful and on plan through various challenges. I am feeling positive, but not "sparkly"..

I have found that this way of eating has provided some much needed mental clarity - which helps to not just "lose it" and be able to think out of the box to solve problems. With my work challenge, was able to come up with an approach - AND get alignment - to chunk some of the (late) ask together and then to ask for help from others after taking it to a certain point. So, basically - turned 900 things into 100 -- and then parsing out with a dummy script and some specifics, where needed. I have stifled my gut response to be resentful of being "cleanup crew" and assigned something huge with infeasible turnaround time. With the outsourcing thing, have been supportive and confident. There is plenty of time.

Quote: (I am corny -- and for some reason this song helps me... not to feel too bad or sorry for myself....) -
"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head,
And just like the guy who's feet are too big for his bed,
Nothin' seems to fit,
Those raindrops are falling on my head,
They keep falling...

So i just did me some talking to the sun,
And i said i didn't like the way he got things done,
Sleeping on the job,
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head,
They keep falling...

But there's one thing, i know,
The blues they send to meet me,
Won't defeat me,
It won't be long 'till happiness
Steps up to greet me...

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head,
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red,
Crying's not for me,
'cuz, i'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining
Because i'm free
Nothin's worrying me
Nothin's worrying me...

But there's one thing, i know,
The blues they send to meet me,
Won't defeat me,
It won't be long 'till happiness
Steps up to greet me . . .

Raindrops keep falling on my head,
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red,
Crying's not for me,
'Cuz, i'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining
Because i'm free
Nothin's worrying me
Nothin's worrying me..." - B. J. Thomas

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby ebonyeyes » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Vegfit, I just came across a home made vegetable broth that sounds very simple and easy to make. No added salt of fat. I haven't made it yet, but plan to soon. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Good day :-D

http://cherryblossomkitchen.com/homemad ... -fat-free/
ebonyeyes

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals