On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

July 2018 Goals

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:28 am

I posted this in the MWL July thread and also want to put this here to hold myself accountable.

I think 1 and 4 are getting to be habits.

2 is very do-able and reflects an increase in time exercised. Using "Map My Walk" now which will help keep focus and also using the regular "Health" app on Iphone to track daily steps. The daily steps may be a bit understated as I sometimes like a bit of a break from the phone... :lol: But, at least will provide a benchmark.

3 is do-able, but I have resisted getting outside of my comfort zone. I am going to do it though. It is only a 1 hour / week commitment and I already have the plan written (by my son).

1) Will follow the MWL guidelines with the following exceptions:
* Fruit in excess of the 2 servings recommended (I generally eat 3-4)
* 2-3 regular plan compliant items per week (that aren't MWL compliant) - these would be something like: 2 corn tortillas (corn, lime only), 2 whole wheat pitas (100 cal each), serving of "nice cream", 1/2 c. of stove popped popcorn (no oil)
* I use a sprinkle (probably 1 teaspoon or less) of sesame seeds to dress up stir fries - a few times a week (this is 17 cal, but fat cal)
* Feast breakfast planned for the last weekend of the month (tofu scrambled, no oil, lots of veggies - may be 2 meals because no "takers" here to share with)
* Haven't given up black coffee or wine / beer (yet?)
NOTE THAT THESE EXCEPTIONS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED BY DR. MCDOUGALL. I am just stating them for the sake of transparency. They may result in slowed weight loss and are future opportunities to "clean up" my diet. I do believe that Dr. McDougall wouldn't disapprove, as he has outlined in MWL for the reader to acknowledge what they are willing to do at this time (i.e., "half-hearted" vs. "all in")...
2) I will walk at least 4.5 hours per week.
3) I will do resistance training 4 times per week for 15 minutes each. (This is new for me and a bit outside of comfort zone....)
4) I will weigh in every Friday and post results here and in my journal.

Happy July!!!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:36 am

I have GOT to try that hash brown trick. Right now, what I do is put frozen o'brien potatoes into a nonstick skillet with a little water and a little onion powder for browning, and it's pretty good, but I'm always up for new ways to eat potatoes.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am

Idgie wrote:I have GOT to try that hash brown trick. Right now, what I do is put frozen o'brien potatoes into a nonstick skillet with a little water and a little onion powder for browning, and it's pretty good, but I'm always up for new ways to eat potatoes.

Hope you like it if you try!! (I think you will... :-D )

I like the O'Brien potatoes too... have roasted in oven on parchment paper too. Yummy!!

VegSeekingFit

Postby WeeSpeck » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:51 am

Hi Stephanie,

I love your theme song, Fight Song. Not corny at all!!

Your entire approach to your health journey resonates with me. I set goals and mission statements. I track accomplishments. I record my measurements. I literally have years of Excel spreadsheets that track exercise, food, journal of my struggles, weekly affirmations, weight charts, etc.

Yes! :-D My user name, WeeSpeck, is taken from Horton Hears A Who. My user pic is Horton's clover and if you look real close you can see the wee speck falling from it. I chose this name not because I am tiny. I certainly was not little when I started this journey. I chose it because of how insignificant I feel in the huge universe, and yet, my actions can make a difference, no matter how small.

I love your journal.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 am

WeeSpeck wrote:Hi Stephanie,

I love your theme song, Fight Song. Not corny at all!!

Your entire approach to your health journey resonates with me. I set goals and mission statements. I track accomplishments. I record my measurements. I literally have years of Excel spreadsheets that track exercise, food, journal of my struggles, weekly affirmations, weight charts, etc.

Yes! :-D My user name, WeeSpeck, is taken from Horton Hears A Who. My user pic is Horton's clover and if you look real close you can see the wee speck falling from it. I chose this name not because I am tiny. I certainly was not little when I started this journey. I chose it because of how insignificant I feel in the huge universe, and yet, my actions can make a difference, no matter how small.

I love your journal.

Thanks, Nancy!!!

I appreciate you sharing how you selected and I love your creativity with user name / avatar... and I now do see the wee speck in the avatar!! I think that's a powerful way of considering the impact your actions can make!! On a side note, Dr. Seuss is probably my favorite author. I think I have read all of his books -- especially enjoyed them when my son was young!! Several I know by heart... :D

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:33 am

The news just came in from the County of Keck
That a very small bug by the name of Van Vleck
Is yawning so wide you can look down his neck!

(It may not seem very important, I know
but it is, so I'm bothering telling you so.) :-D
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Idgie wrote:The news just came in from the County of Keck

:lol: Idgie!! Love it... I guess I am not the only Seuss geek...

VegSeekingFit

Happy 4th of July!!

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi!

Short post, just wanted to wish all a Happy 4th!

While on this road to better health, best change for me has been increased happiness, better clarity, increased energy, more consistent sleep. One day, I am going to post "the ugly" from my early days that were before I journaled here.

The reason for that is because if I could help one person not feel alone or encourage someone to keep on, I will go there (warts and all).

Anyway, in the spirit of the 4th of July -- sending out this song to all... No matter where you are on your journey, you got here and you are a "Firework" !! It's like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz -- she always had the power within herself to go home... We all have the power within ourselves to make a positive change...

Firework - Katy Perry

"Do you ever feel like a plastic bag,
Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?
Do you ever feel, feel so paper-thin
Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in?

Do you ever feel already buried deep?
Six feet under screams, but no one seems to hear a thing
Do you know that there's still a chance for you?
'Cause there's a spark in you

You just gotta ignite the light, and let it shine
Just own the night like the Fourth of July

'Cause baby, you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colors burst
Make 'em go "oh, oh, oh!",
You're gonna leave 'em falling down oh oh

You don't have to feel like a waste of space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew what the future holds
After a hurricane, comes a rainbow

Maybe the reason why all the doors are closed
So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road
Like a lightning bolt, your heart will glow
And when it's time you know

You just gotta ignite the light, and let it shine
Just own the night like the Fourth of July

Baby, you're a firework
You're gonna leave 'em falling down oh oh

Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
It's always been inside of you, you, you
And now it's time you let it through-ooh-ooh

Baby, you're a firework
You're gonna leave 'em all in awe awe awe

Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon"

VegSeekingFit

Postby Rosey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am

I've loved that Firework song every since I heard it.
Rosey

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:32 am

Idgie wrote:The news just came in from the County of Keck

and that's what started it all! :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Vintagesan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 am

Thanks for reminding me of that song. I just found out I've never watched the video ...and so I watched it on youtube.
It's not my kind of music, but the song got me. So...you are convicted for that earworm. :mrgreen:

Greetings from Germany
Vintagesan

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Vintagesan wrote:Thanks for reminding me of that song. I just found out I've never watched the video ...and so I watched it on youtube.
It's not my kind of music, but the song got me. So...you are convicted for that earworm. :mrgreen:

Greetings from Germany

Hi, Rosey and Buns!! :) You ladies are keeping on... :-D

Hi Vintagesan, Greetings from Chicagoland, IL , USA… What part of Germany are you in (if I may ask)? I spent a couple of weeks in Frankfurt last year (work) -- and LOVED it... Beautiful country, wonderful people!!

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi,

I'm keeping with my #4 objective for this month and logging that I lost 1 lb. this week - down to 122.4, BMI 20.4 from start on 1/5 of 152.8, BMI 25.4. So, six months and have probably a bit more to go, but not so much as when I started... :-D I will be "celebrating" the 30 lb. mark by donating the outgrown clothes and buying a pair of purple sports sandals...

Had a crock pot crisis this week when the old 1992 Rival model that I received for a shower present broke... It sure put in its time.. :lol: I was a bit freaked out as I rely too much on this one appliance -- that's how I batch cook lunch... I am sure that I could do it in a regular pot, but I have my groove on for the crock pot. Jeff Novick was gracious to share the one that is recommended by Mary and Heather McDougall... I ordered and it is on its way... will feel better when it's here and I've read the instruction manual... :D

Today's Eats:

B: Honeydew melon, strawberries, potato waffle, black beans, red onion, jalapeno

L: Tomatoes, 2 apricots, red lentil chili

D: Corn, edamame, oven roasted baby portabella, bean sprouts, red onions - with a splash of Tamari and a sprinkle of sesame seeds

For the week, I mainly ate similar to this. I had a potato waffle as part of breakfast EVERY day... I did some Dinner with potato and other roasted veggies. I had generally more snacks -- bring fruit and raw veggies to work every day. Pretty much ate them every day. Had 1 meal out with a friend at Bibibop http://www.bibibop.com/ It's a chain and there are fat free items to order. They also have fresh pineapple for $1 and FREE vegan miso soup. (Yes, I indulged in both...) I had a feast breakfast of scrambled tofu with lots of veggies on Saturday and the leftovers on Sunday. Also, one day had a snack of popcorn on the stove without oil. Otherwise, adhered to the MWL principles. So, #1 objective is accomplished for this week (because I knew that I wouldn't be perfect).

Weekly Movement:

Joined a challenge in the Map My Walk App. It is called "You Vs. 2018"... :-D It started 1/1 -- so obviously won't win.... :lol: Goal is to walk / move 1018K in 2018. So, like 620+ miles for ... still pretty do-able.

Also, using Health App on the Iphone to get a base of general activity.

Will put in data dump for the week, but probably not doing again. My findings... the walking is a habit. I put in the time consistently over the week in the AM before shower. I beat the 4:30 goal I set. Overall walking is much more for the days that I work. Am in a sprawling building and spend a good clip of the day in meetings that aren't where I sit... :) So, get more steps. Also, I am pokier than expected on the AM walk. It's been really hot - so maybe that's the reason. (Also, I don't pause for stoplights, when applicable or for stops at the water fountain. But there aren't that many on my routes...) Will have to pick up the pace before October's HM.

Date // Miles for AM walk// Time for AM Walk // Pace // Total Daily Miles (with phone)
6/29 // 5.1 // 78 // 15:25 // 8.9
6/30 // 4.8 // 76 // 15:59 // 4.8
7/1 // 6.1 // 96 // 15:53 // 6.5
7/2 // 1.6 // 27 // 16:33 // // 5.7
7/3 // 3.7 // 58 // 15:42 // 7.0
7/4 // 4.2 // 68 // 16:32 // 4.7
7/5 // 3.2 // 50 // 16:06 // 8.3

Moment of Zen:

* At work we have fitness trails - 2.5 miles outside. There are 3 ponds - one being corporate and two in the back. The rest of grounds they try to keep "natural"... like prairie grass and native plants. Anyway, we have swans in the corporate pond that just had babies... so cute to see these beautiful creatures.. In the non-corporate pond saw two herons. In between, saw a few different kinds of butterflies.

* My sister-in-law got me a Lanatana plant and it is awesome!!!

Quote of the Week:

"Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate
I believe that happiness is something we create
You best believe that I'm not gonna wait
'Cause there's gotta be something more" - Sugarland

Wishing all a week of success!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

(Edited after posting to try to fix the miles thing... :-D )
Last edited by VegSeekingFit on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:50 pm

OK, I'll never do that miles thing again because seems like formatting rules or protocol that I don't know.... :cool:

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:59 pm

I got my crock pot and it is awesome. I looked at the owner's manual, but really no insrtuctions needed! An extra setting that my old one didn't have - warm -that will be appreciated. :D

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals