On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

6/5/2018

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Today's Eats:
B: Potatoes w/black beans, tomato, red onion, jalapeno
S: Nectarine, Marzetti tomatoes
L: Red lentil chili, orange, cauliflower
S: Banana, cucumber
D: Brown rice, portabella mushrooms, broccoli, red onion - dry stir fried with garlic & ginger - splash of low-sodium tamari & sprinkle of sesame seeds

Today's Movement:
33 minutes walking first thing in AM (10% longer and a bit faster than normal)
15 minute walk at lunch
Walk around at work periodically - and take stairs instead of elevator (to combat sedentary job....)

Today's Ramblings:
Have discovered The Plant Trainers Podcast - exploring some older episodes... Listened to Spudfit and Michael Gregor interviews

Listened to news podcast on walk and it didn't negatively impact mood.... :D

Brewing a ramble on success... how is it defined? is it timebound? does it differ from person to person? how do you measure? / what are the criteria? Gnawing on this as I answered a post yesterday with yes, I have been successful on this plan. Going to edit my post at least to clarify "for the past 5 months, I have adhered to X principles of the program.... which has resulted in meeting short-term objective to lose weight..."

Reminder to my future self... You have achieved short-term successes before and failed. Why? How do you prioritize optimizing your own health in the future to ensure that you don't relapse into bad habits?? (So, I guess that I mini-rambled to mention future ramble... :) )

Did have short-term success today... Was able to tuck in my shirt without being self-conscious about that. Have lots of clothes that aren't tailored to tuck. Probably haven't tucked for two years. :oops: So Woot Woot!!!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Background for Success Ramble

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Have to think about success ramble - will articulate in a future post, since I think it's important - especially for those of us who celebrate achievement of objectives (that may be short term) - and understanding how each of us may individually define and measure success.

So, below is thread to my previous journal from 2015. This was 3 months of "success" to changing eating to starch-based, minimally processed, no added oil eating - including a 16 lb. weight loss, along with other benefits to physical and mental health. When I re-visit the last posts in my own journal, I can see the downward spiral about to occur... No big fall …. just fade away.

Before I started this journal, I considered appending to the one that I had already started, but felt better having a "fresh start".

The beauty of these journals (or other records offline), is that whether we "succeed" or fail, we can look back and learn something. What were the drivers? Why did we fail (or succeed)? What can we learn from the past to make this round successful (or more successful from the last)?

In reviewing my own downward spiral from 2015, with a pretty clean eating (and activity) pattern, I glean the following:
* It is possible to "relapse" at any time
* Be vigilant for warning signs or signals and take action
* Determine before you start, your own priorities....

That last one is important to my own future "failure" because in re-visiting, I clearly understand that I allowed work stress / priorities to impact my own personal health. Not cool. Not how I would prioritize my own life. So, lesson will be incorporated into my current journey...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49292

On a happier note.... some motivational quotes on success that resonated, which I found in my gnawing on this concept of "success"...

“Your success and happiness lie in you.” – Helen Keller

“Success is a journey, not a destination.” – Ben Sweetland

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas A. Edison

“Success is not final,
Failure is not fatal;
It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill

“Success…seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” – Conrad Hilton

“If you can dream it you can do it.” – Walt Disney

“Knowing is not enough,
We must apply.
Willing is not enough,
We must do. “ – Bruce Lee

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” – Dr. Seuss

Wishing all success!! And meaningful forward progress on their journey to better health!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Food & Movement

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Happy Friday!!!

Weighed in today and am at 129.0 - so, 1 lb. lost for June, 23.8 lbs. since starting Jan. 5.

Have been eating mainly:

B: potato and chopped veggies, mostly with some beans (have changed this from fruit and oatmeal -- which I had about a 100 day streak on .... like the savory better!!)

S; I pack 3 fruit and 3 raw veggies to bring to work .... Try to do the same snacking habits on the weekends

L: Red Lentil Chili (Love it, on a streak... but don't want to change it!!!)

D: Veggies (frozen / fresh) stir fried with garlic & ginger, then seasoned with Low-sodium Tamari (splash because low sodium is still high sodium) + a sprinkle of sesame seeds... usually with brown rice (have also used potato)

So, really simple. No recipe needed. Will try some recipes when I feel like it, but I like this "template".... Have 2-3 snacks / meals per week where I know I may want to eat regular plan (for a treat). So far this week, had 2 no-fat, whole wheat pitas (100 cal/ each) with tomato sauce and raw veggies for a "pizza" for dinner instead of the veggies / rice. May have popcorn (no-oil) popped on stove top tomorrow. Helps to not feel deprived.

Movement -

Walked in AM every day this week. Have tried to add a little bit of time and go a little bit faster.

For motivation and better planning, have entered a Half Marathon in early October that I will walk (so, will be putting together training plan next week and have plenty of time to be ready... ) Goal = to finish within the 3:15 cut-off time allowed with a smile... (i.e., not competing with prior times where I have run this distance --- it's a different animal to walk it , but will train appropriately to ensure no pain / injury!! )

Still thinking on success... how we may define it individually and when it can be measured. Success for this WOE seems to be well-defined.

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

6/10/2018

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Hey!

In reading some of the posts on this forum, I am reminded that the BEST thing that this WOE has done for me is to change my mental outlook. I have so much more positivity and energy than I did before I started!! Mountains don't seem too high to climb. Frustrations seem manageable. I wish there was a way to measure this so that it would be more impactful to share. For this change alone, I would continue on …. regardless of whether or not I lost any weight. I FEEL GREAT!!! :-D

Today's Eats:

It's the day of the potato!!!

S: Pre-walk - A banana that was bigger than I would get, but my son picked the bunch
B: Yukon gold potatoes with black beans, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos

L: Celery & Tomatoes

Spicy black bean salsa (from Straight Up Food) - just a few T.

1st attempt at waffle iron potatoes (not as crispy as desired, but I'll get better!!) :oops:
Cantaloupe & Strawberries
D; Oven fries
Red Lentil Chili

Today's Movement:
Walked 50 minutes; managed to time it well in the rain - started pouring when I was almost home...got in before complete drenching!
Wrote down plan for Half-M training... lots of people could probably walk one without training (maybe me too!) , but like to minimize risk of injury & maximize likelihood of finishing happily and on time... this is mainly about an increasingly longer walk one day / week with a taper before the race. Also, I will incorporate hill work into 1 day / week and speed interavals 1 day / week. Considering doing some strength training and bike riding for cross training.
Signing up for this has gotten me motivated to kick it up a notch!! :cool:

Ramble:
Went to grocery store that I haven't visited in maybe 1 year with my son on Friday. Looked at bulk bins and .... they are at least 70% candy and junk!!! :\ I guess then they have adjusted to what people are buying, but really??? Bulk candy? Isn't there already enough bagged candy??? (I also went to Fruit Market on Saturday and got what I couldn't find at grocery store...)

Stress relief / management could be an underlooked element of changing lifestyle. As part of my better health journey, have deleted my Twitter account and started listening to more music. I still read and follow news (just less passionately).

Moment of Zen (today): Robin wants to build a nest over a light fixture right on our deck. Robin is persistent. It is driving my husband crazy, but I did get him to agree to STOP distrubing Robin's efforts. Would love to post a picture of next, if Robin wins.

Quote of the day:
"Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?" - Judy Garland

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Eating Out....

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Today's Eats:
This was an atypical day for me. Had a social event for lunch with a small group where I thought I could make a good choice. My homework after the fact lets me know that I'm wearing a bit of olive oil.... I don't eat out much -- so not beating myself up -- just acknowledging....

B: Yukon Gold + black bean salsa + red onion

S: Banana + tomatoes

L: California Pizza Kitchen - Roasted Vegetable Salad (no dressing) --- love this, didn't realize how much fat the veggies marinate in first.... also, ate the avocado... it was really good, but would not make this choice again after reviewing nutritional content (and recipes that are looking to replicate it)... may not be any choices here now... the Smashed Barley soup is great and low fat, but has sodium out of this world... (This was a small work social event that I did want to participate in...)

S: Grapes

D; Red Lentil Chili

Today's Exercise:

Have been getting up usually 30 minutes earlier to add some time to the walks for Half M training. Today, I walked for 50 minutes in the AM and took 2 short works during the workday. My son is going to help me develop a strength training program. He started drafting it.

Ramble: My scale battery was dying and for the past couple of weeks have had to "try" to weigh myself multiple times before it worked. So, my son also looking for a scale and we changed battery. I "pseudo-weighed" after he did -- at the wrong time and with too many clothes!! :lol: :lol: But, all in fun and repair.....

Today's Moment of Zen: Watching the fireflies make fireworks in the backyard... Awesome!!! A show I like to check out all summer! :cool:

Today's Quote:

"Start by doing what's necessary, then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." - Francis of Assisi

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Re: Eating Out....

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:
L: California Pizza Kitchen - Roasted Vegetable Salad (no dressing) --- love this, didn't realize how much fat the veggies marinate in first.... also, ate the avocado... it was really good, but would not make this choice again after reviewing nutritional content (and recipes that are looking to replicate it)... may not be any choices here now... the Smashed Barley soup is great and low fat, but has sodium out of this world... (This was a small work social event that I did want to participate in...)

Today's Moment of Zen: Watching the fireflies make fireworks in the backyard... Awesome!!! A show I like to check out all summer! :cool:

Today's Quote:

"Start by doing what's necessary, then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." - Francis of Assisi

Cheers,
Stephanie

Oh I LOVE California Pizza Kitchen! And that roasted veggie salad is my favorite...but it's true. Even the best foods in restaurants are dripping with oil. Such a disappointment. But I love your firefly watching...It's on my bucket list: Seeing fireflies in person. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Eating Out....

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Oh I LOVE California Pizza Kitchen! And that roasted veggie salad is my favorite...but it's true. Even the best foods in restaurants are dripping with oil. Such a disappointment. But I love your firefly watching...It's on my bucket list: Seeing fireflies in person. :)

Hi Buns! :-D

That salad is so awesome!!! Wish that restaurants would all have an oil free option though!! I guess we just do the best that we can each time to make a good choice -- perhaps choosing to feast sometimes...

I hope that you get to see the fireflies sometime! They are amazing!!! I learned something from your comment -- never realized that they weren't throughout the US... Actually when I google'd found that there are 5 great places to watch them...

Have a great w/e!!

VegSeekingFit

Weekly results

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 am

A quick update and then I gotta log off and work...

Down 2.8 lbs this week!! Woo-hoo!!! This is the most that I've lost in a week since I started on 1/5. Total lost to date - 26.6 lbs. I'm at 126.2 with 21.0 BMI.

Going to start strength training this weekend. My son put together most of the program for me. I even tried some assisted pull-ups yesterday... Definitely and area I can only improve on. (Meaning I start at ground zero... )

Happy weekend!!

VegSeekingFit

Establishing a Healthy Way of Life

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:04 am

Hello!

In continuing to think about success, I believe that we each have to define that for ourselves.
What does it mean?
What are we trying to accomplish?
How do we measure it?
What are we willing to do to achieve it?

I love Chapter 12 of "McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss" which is called Establishing a Healthy Way of Life. This chapter asks the reader to consider these factors and provides a checklist for behavioral changes associated with building better habits. It challenges each of us to consider how far we are willing to go. It lists certain changes and categorize them into "Serious Business" vs. "Half-Hearted Approach". Ultimately, it asks the reader to make a "contract" with themselves on the changes that they are willing to make.

Really cool approach - mindful and associates expected results with the changes that the reader is willing to make. I remember this chapter resonating with me way back when I first read the book -- somewhere around 2002. I am taking it seriously this time and being honest with myself about what I will do now and what opportunities for further change may still be open.

Here are the steps:

Step 1: Be Goal Oriented (p. 127)

* This goes through how to set goals - including identifying personal reasons as to why

* Identification of health goals - this lists a sprectrum of how much success - how long do you want to achieve the goal for, how much you want to relieve certain symptoms, how soon you want to accomplish these goals

* Selecting your motivating reasons for change (i.e., I only live once and I want to make the most out of my life, etc.)

Step 2: Acknowledge Your Willingness to Pay the Price (p. 131)

"There is no such thing as a free lunch."

* A checklist to help the reader understand his or her own willingness to pay the price... Half-hearted vs. serious business... (i.e., I will skin my chicken vs. I will avoid all oil like poison)

Step 3: Educate Yourself; Become an Expert
(p. 133)

"The more you understand about health, the greater your chance of permanent success."

Step 4: Visualize Yourself as Healthy (p. 134)

"Put this image in your mind often. The more you think of yourself as a healthy person, the more you will want to be that person and the harder you will work to achieve your goals."

Step 5: Make a Commitment: It's Magic (p. 134)

"Not until you have fully committed yourself to a path can you actually travel along it."

"You will be surprised at the way your environment responds to your commitment. Unexpected and incredibly supportive events occur."

"Remember that you fulfill commitment by remaining focused on your intention and goals. Plan ahead."

"Eat first when you're going to be confronted with rich foods. It will enable you to resist temptation."

Then, comes the commitment form and a great checklist for discarding excuses.
"I Like Being Fat."
"I'm Not Worth the Trouble."
"It's Out of My Control."
"It's Too Difficult to Change."
"The Mother of All Excuses and It's Solution." (p. 138)
"Let's face it, all these excuses boil down to one single excuse: We simply don't want to change. Change is scary. It takes us into the unknown. The unknown frightens us. Our current life may be filled with problems, but at least we know the problems we face. We're familiar with them. For the most part, we can cope with our current pains, failures, and disappointments. Deep down, we're secretly afraid that any new change will actually make our lives worse."

Step 6: Ensure That Your Environment Supports Your Goals (p. 139)
"Some people subscribe to the philosophy that if the cure doesn't hurt, it can't be working. When it comes to permanent changes in diet and lifestyle, the opposite philosophy is the best: The less painful the program, the more likely it is to succeed. Take steps to make your new life easier."

Step 7: Alter Your Coping Mechanisms
Step 8: Join a Support Group
Step 9: Reward Yourself (p. 141) - "You deserve rewards along the way."
Step 10: Keep it Simple (p. 141)
"You may be thinking that adopting my program will take a lot of work. You may be saying that you don't want to make life any more complicated than it is right now. But you do not realize how complicated it already is, and how simple you can make it by improving your health."

"Health is Everything (If You Lose It)"

Thank you, Dr. McDougall for this step by step guide to build our own roads to success. I have found value in reading these words of wisdom in addition to the specific dietary advice. This chapter provokes deep thinking -- and sets the stage for each reader to individually go through an exercise of mindfulness and consideration. Priceless! :-D

VegSeekingFit

Re: Weekly results

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:32 am

Happy Friday!!!

I am down 1.8 lbs. this week to 124.4, BMI 20.7. Total loss since 1/5 of 28.4 lbs.

Feeling great -- happy, energized, in a groove... Still wish that change in outlook was quantifiable like weight... That factor has probably really pushed me forward to continue developing / repeating good habits.

Weekly Food:
Have mainly had potato only for breakfast this week. I'm not very hungry before I leave for work, but need to eat when I can. Have been cooking a couple of potatoes and eating what I can before I leave and then bringing the remnants in a bag to munch on when I get hungry later.

Continuing to pack 3 fruits / 3 raw veggies and eating during the day when hungry. Have been really busy this week and haven't eaten them all - some have made the rounds back and forth -- while last week never brought any home.

For lunch still sticking to the Red Lentil Chili. I love it. If it's not broke, don't fix it!! :cool:

For dinner have had potato or rice with veggies. Had an enormous bowl of potato and veggies one night - when I saw the quantity, expected to have half left to put in the fridge for the next day, but no -- I was hungry so ate it all. The veggies were 2 portabellas, several cloves of garlic (no worry of vampires here), 1 red bell pepper, red onion slices -- oven roasted at 450 for 25 minutes. This was really quick and easy to put together and DELICIOUS!!!

Atypical meals - I went out to lunch one day with a friend. Checked out the menu before and ordered only the items that were reflected as no fat - rice noodles, teriyaki sauce, black beans, corn, romaine lettuce, red cabbage and a small cup of pineapple. Not sure if there wasn't still some oil in it even if it wasn't reported... but did the best I could...

Also, had folks over for Father's Day. Made the Vegan 8 Buffalo Hummus with the tahini again. Yum... Had some, but not more than 1 serving. Also, had 3 macadamia nuts --then threw the leftovers away when people left. (Those I could not be trusted with in the pantry...) Finally, had 2 pretzels. Made Lentil Chili for those who wanted it (had one taker) and ordered out for those who preferred something else... Put out veggie tray and bowls of fresh fruit in addition to the usual crap. The fruit was completely eaten, and a huge dent in the veggies too...

Weekly Movement:

Continuing on with the HM training. Very loose plan. Have been lucky enough to be able to do walks outside (except today) - so have not had the focus on intervals or hills which are easier controlled on treadmill. Have been averaging 45 min / day walking in the AM - with an 80 min walk one day on the weekend and a 15 min walk one weekday where I was really tired and needed the extra 30 min to sleep.

Have not yet started the strength training. This is something that I do intend to do. Just need to figure out how best to incorporate into each day. Have started stretching after walks. Feels good to stretch!!! :cool:

Ramble:

In the interest of eating now as I intend to going forward, there are a couple of things that I have intended to do that I am going to put on the back burner - keep it simple. I really like the idea in theory of making vegetable broth, bbq sauce, other condiments. However, I don't have that much free time and I really don't think that I use that much to make it a significant health risk... The veg broth that I buy (found a new brand at Costco) is low salt, fat free and I am using about 1 carton / week. I may use a bit of bbq a couple of days a week, but aim to be conscious of what a serving is for this. So, when I retire, I vow to make these things homemade, but for now - shelving the idea.

For some reason, I love to read all of these vegan cookbooks or recipes. I collect them. Hard copy books, e-books, bookmarks to websites, etc. Some recipes sounds great! However, I really like just simple food that I can prepare based on what I have in the fridge / pantry without giving it much thought. In the interest of keeping it simple, I am shelving the idea of becoming a better healthy cook -- again, will dust that idea off when I'm retired. For now, it's potatoes or grains or beans with fruit and veggies and some herbs / spices. Period. Easy. :cool:

Moments of Zen:
Driving in the car with my friend and both of us belting out the lyrics to "It's Five O'clock Somewhere" - lots of laughing, felt 30 years younger.
Watching the fireflies on the deck with my husband and enjoying a glass of wine at the end of a long day. This never gets old.
Curling up on the couch with my cats and reading a book.
Still loving the Optimal Daily Living Podcast. There are like 900+ episodes of 9 min / each. Catching up on some that sound interesting. Lots of practical advice for developing priorities and living within the parameters of what is important to you.

Quote of the Week:
"Raindrops on roses
And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things …

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver-white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad" - Oscar Hammerstein & Richard Rodgers

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

This Week

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:56 am

Hello!

Weighed in today at 123.4 - so down a total of 29.4 from starting weight on 1/5. BMI 20.5 from 25.4.

Went from eating processed vegan foods, peanut butter, bread to eating mainly unprocessed legumes, potatoes, veggies, fruit.
Went from sedentary to fairly active on a daily basis.
Went from drinking diet pop to drinking lots of water, including some LaCroix (for the fizz effect).
Went from high sodium to sodium conscious / minimal.
Went from low energy to dynamic.
Went from feeling a victim of mid-life change to feeling powerful (i.e., flipping the bird at menopause).
Went from moodiness to happiness (times when not happy, at least feel more able to not let circumstances completely derail mood).

Weekly Food:
Have perfected the potato waffle!! Yummy!! Let it cook for at least 25 min and don't sit there waiting for it. Patience is a virtue. This has been an excellent breakfast!!!

Also, discovered that portabella mushrooms roasted at 425 on parchment paper make an excellent snack... even without any additional herbs / spices. Maybe I am weird, but this is really good!!

For a quick dinner one night, had corn, some edamame, and frozen veggies topped off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a splash of tamari.

Had a couple of regular plan "treats" this week. Cut up 2 corn tortillas and baked them at 350 on parchment paper. These chips were great with the lentil chili for a change of pace. Also, made popcorn in a pot on Saturday night. Just popcorn in its glory and some spices. Love to watch it pop!!

B: Generally potato waffle with a couple of tablespoons smashed black beans with red onion and jalapeno.

Snacks - usually 2-3 raw veggies and 2-3 fruit. Probably more than that because bigger than 1 serving each.

L: Lentil Chili (still loving it)

D: Potato and veggies or rice and veggies - one night made ramen noodles (made with brown rice & millet only) and had that with veggies

Weekly Movement:

Still walking. Walking longer - haven't missed a day. Usually at least 45 minutes first thing. Longest was an hour and 40 minutes over the weekend. Have started tracking these as well as daily totals. Low of 4.6 to high of 7.2 over the week. Have a co-worker who gets like 14 / day! WOW!... So, I know I have increased this, but that there are folks doubling my recent high...

Haven't started the strength training yet. Really want to do it, but just struggling with where to incorporate into schedule where I can do it consistently. Will get there.

Weekly Ramble:

When I get to 30 lbs. lost, going to donate all of my outgrown clothes instead of keeping them around. Haven't done that before. Think this is a statement that I will NOT go back to old habits, but will choose to continue to follow this WOE. May also get a couple of new items... have only bought a pair of shorts this year.

Going to plan a "feast" for the weekend in lieu of the 4th -- it will be buying a block of tofu and scrambling it with some veggies for breakfast. Thinking to do this monthly.

Moment of Zen:

Container garden is doing well!! I have a six inch Anaheim chili pepper almost ready to harvest. Also, 4 tomatoes still green. Lots of flowers on the other plants. Planted several pots with just flower seeds and they are about ready to bloom... :cool:

Quote of the week:

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky

Happy McDougalling!!

VegSeekingFit

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:41 am

it's a great idea, giving away all your old fat clothes. I did that, and it's okay that I had to buy larger sizes when I DID gain weight back. I was disappointed, but I had to have clothes. And I never did think I'd be in this size again, but when I went to buy jeans in my old/new large size, I knew this was temporary. It was a real wake up for me...and that relapse thing you mention. ANYONE can "relapse" ... it's amazing how easy it is for the poundage to come back on :\ Not. Fair.

but guess what I did. I saved some favorite tops in my old smaller size, and was I EVER disgusted when my arms got too big to fit in a favorite jacket...however, now I am able to slip that baby back on! and another jacket that I loved, that I almost gave away...put it on this morning, no problem! A truly wonderful feeling!

We can do this, Stephanie! you betcha :nod:

Oh! I want to know about your waffle potatoes...is that hashbrowns on the waffle iron? :D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby WeeSpeck » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Stephanie,

Yay!!!! Well done! Thank you so much for posting your success and the steps you took to get there. Nearly 30 pounds in 6 months, going from an overweight BMI to a healthy number is worth celebrating.

And everything you posted that took you to this place is worth reading over and over again. This is not rocket science. If we follow the plan, we will see results. You have proved it.

I think that every time my numbers start to go in the wrong direction, I need to review your list and be honest about what principles of this lifestyle I am forgetting or fudging on.

It is simple. It should be easy. Once we understand and accept the concepts and apply them consistently and go back and right the boat when it goes off course, this will work for everyone.

Thank you again for your post and great job!
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:19 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:it's a great idea, giving away all your old fat clothes. I did that, and it's okay that I had to buy larger sizes when I DID gain weight back. I was disappointed, but I had to have clothes. And I never did think I'd be in this size again, but when I went to buy jeans in my old/new large size, I knew this was temporary. It was a real wake up for me...and that relapse thing you mention. ANYONE can "relapse" ... it's amazing how easy it is for the poundage to come back on :\ Not. Fair.

but guess what I did. I saved some favorite tops in my old smaller size, and was I EVER disgusted when my arms got too big to fit in a favorite jacket...however, now I am able to slip that baby back on! and another jacket that I loved, that I almost gave away...put it on this morning, no problem! A truly wonderful feeling!

We can do this, Stephanie! you betcha :nod:

Oh! I want to know about your waffle potatoes...is that hashbrowns on the waffle iron? :D

Hiya, Buns!! :-D

Cool that you gave away the "old fat clothes"... :cool: It sounds like you got right back to it and I believe we can do this!!!

Love your story about being able to slip your jacket back on... Priceless feeling of achievement!!!

The waffle potatoes are hashbrowns in the waffle iron. Funny, I had given away many of those miscellaneous appliances that we'd accumulated over the years, but when I saw someone's picture of this crispy large hash brown.... I had to have a waffle iron. Just take a big handful (or two) of the frozen hasbrowns and put them on the iron. Walk away!!! For 25 minutes. Presto, crispy potato!!! YUM!! :-D

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:28 am

WeeSpeck wrote:Hi Stephanie,

Yay!!!! Well done! Thank you so much for posting your success and the steps you took to get there. Nearly 30 pounds in 6 months, going from an overweight BMI to a healthy number is worth celebrating.

And everything you posted that took you to this place is worth reading over and over again. This is not rocket science. If we follow the plan, we will see results. You have proved it.

I think that every time my numbers start to go in the wrong direction, I need to review your list and be honest about what principles of this lifestyle I am forgetting or fudging on.

It is simple. It should be easy. Once we understand and accept the concepts and apply them consistently and go back and right the boat when it goes off course, this will work for everyone.

Thank you again for your post and great job!

Hi Nancy! :)

Thank you for your encouraging and insightful post!! I agree, this should be easy.... Sometimes, life gets in the way or something in the wild world of food tempts us back to old choices. I kind of regret not starting this journal when my journey began. Would show the struggles along the way - I only lost 2.6 lbs. in my first month. This past month, I have lost 6.6 lbs. That's not the way it's supposed to happen!!! :lol:

"Right the boat when it goes off course..." Funny, I have a "theme song" that I keep in mind for my journey (corny, for sure!) --

"Like a small boat on an ocean, sending big waves into motion...
Like how a single word can make a heart open
I may only have one match, but I can make an explosion..
This is my fight song, take back my life song, prove I'm all right song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
Cuz I've still got a lot of fight left in me..."

May I ask if your awesome user name is related to Horton and "a person's a person no matter how small" ?

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals