On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri May 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Excited to have lost 1.6 lb. this week - which makes an even 20 lbs. lost this year!! :D BMI now at 22.1 from 25.4. Still more to go for sure - at least 10 more lbs. - maybe more like 20. My goal is not to really focus on the "number" itself, but to find a weight that I can maintain with continued focus on starch with additional veggies and fruits. Don't want to have to do massive amounts of exercise to maintain a weight. I am happy with the 30 minutes per day that I am doing now and can commit to continuing for the long haul. Anyway, not to put the cart before the horse, but thinking of this as a new way of life and considering how to be successful in maintaining - when I get there....

----------------------------------------------------------

"The first step to finding time to cook for yourself is to stop thinking of cooking as an expendable part of your day. It's not." - Thug Kitchen 101

This series of cook books is so good - (although don't even look at it if you are offended by swearing, as the F word is used several times a page). Have been looking through for some meal prep thoughts - some cool ideas - most recipes need modification to remove oil - but some great unprocessed basics.

-------------------------------------------------------

Today's Eats:
B: Potato and pinto beans
L: Carrots, Apple, Orange
Lentil Chili (small serving)
S: Banana, Broccoli
D: Celery, tomatoes, lentil chili (small) with onions
S: Potato

----------------------------------------------------

Happy weekend!!!
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm

I love the Thug Kitchen cookbooks!
moonlight

Postby Principality » Sat May 12, 2018 8:50 am

Congrats on your weight loss!
Starting weight : 240lbs, current 235.9 change -4.1
Principality

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat May 12, 2018 4:47 pm

moonlight wrote:I love the Thug Kitchen cookbooks!

Hi Moonlight! Glad to meet a fellow Thug Kitchen appreciater!!! :D Seriously, this was the only cookbook that I've ever read that had my crying from laughing.... Cheers, Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat May 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Principality wrote:Congrats on your weight loss!

Hi Principality, Thanks!!! Appreciate the well wishes. Best to you on McDougalling!! Cheers, Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Shopping and batch cooking today!

Had a great visit to an International Market - that I haven't been to in years. Purchased some great produce and found a few interesting items. The corn tortillas with only corn, water, lime. Bought them. Ate 2 for lunch and froze the rest. Also, miso paste and peppers in adobo sauce. Will be coming back to this place frequently. Lots more exploring to do.

Bringing a veggie tray and fruit salad for Mother's Day tomorrow. Made this wonderful "hummus" from Vegan 8 for the first time and it was delicious (if you like spicy). It does call for 2T of tahini and I did include it as I think that all eaters will like it. It asks to use white beans - not garbanzo. Made it with Great Northern Beans.

http://thevegan8.com/2017/02/10/spicy-b ... an-hummus/

Cooked my week's worth of lunches - Red Lentil Chili. I think that I must be the most boring person alive as I have eaten this for several months and have not tired of it.... Hmm....

Happy Mother's Day to the Mothers out there!!!
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri May 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Happy Friday!!!

Breaking a multi-month streak of making Red Lentil Chili in the crock pot.... :shock: Have black beans with brown basmati rice going instead - with onion, garlic, peppers, hot spices. Going to mash some of them later and add corn.
-------------------------
Note to self for next potluck - Buffalo Hummus will never go over as well with the carnivore crowd when Buffalo chicken with cream cheese is also served.... :oops:
------------------------
Feeling great and weather has FINALLY been consistently pretty nice! Working from home today and was able to take a half hour walk at lunch time. Love to see all of the spring blooms and hear the birds! Need to plant some flowers. If not this weekend, then next.
--------------------------
Was thrilled to weigh today and find it was my highest weight loss week... Lost 2.2 lbs., down to 130.6 - 21.7 BMI, from 152.8 - 25.4 BMI on January 5th. Have really been recording manually only, but went back to look at by month because I had expected that it would get slower. I think instead that I have been more conscious about calorie density and eating more veggies / fruit for snacks instead of stuff like roasted garbanzo beans or shredded wheat or extra potato when I started. Also, have become sodium conscious and removed diet soda from the acceptable category. Don't know if either of these translate to weight?

Here is how my weight loss breaks down:
Jan - 2.6 lb
Feb - 4.0 lb
Mar - 4.8 lb
Apr - 5.8 lb
May - 5.0 lb (to date)
Total - 22.2 lb

When I started this road to better health, I decided to do things slowly and differently than before - more to build lifelong habits and FEEL BETTER!!! The feeling better came pretty quickly!! The weight loss seemed painfully slow...(but steady!!).

In the past, I have ignored sodium and diet pop and continued on my merry way. This time I am minimizing / eliminating.
On the other hand, on previous journeys - I have exercised much more significantly than this time. Often, I have "re-vamped" an exercise program before eating cleaner. As a lapsed mid-pack runner (5x marathon, many halfs), that exercise has burned significant calories before. This time, I have built consistency around waking up 30 minutes early and briskly walking. Then, started to take stairs instead of use elevators. That's it. So far, something achievable for life. :o

It's the food. (Now I understand what Dr. McDougall has been teaching for decades.... )

Wishing all a happy weekend and success on this program!
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Well, I was feeling pretty good about weight lost - until I read this Overfat article (and measured waist)... :eek:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... -overfat#3

Temporary bubble burst. Baby steps = forward incremental progress.

Going to start monthly recording of waist circumference in my written journal to measure progress. This did lead me to the answer that I suspected that as a small boned person who isn't actively doing resistance exercise, my goal weight should fall close to the bottom of the BMI range for normal. So, working on those 20 remaining pounds and will look to start some form of maintainable (for the long term) resistance exercise. (EDITED 6/5 - NOTE - I am NOT measuring again. Going to use mirror and fit of clothes to judge. However, this was information that I am one of those with seemingly normal BMI, that is still overfat... )

I may only have one match, but I can make an explosion... :cool:

Cheers,
Stephanie
Last edited by VegSeekingFit on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Thinking about building healthy habits after reading Jeff Novick's recent EXCELLENT post. Going to give this a bit more thought as to how it impacts my own quest for better health and whether any adjustments needed... I have been trying to embed certain behaviors into my normal life that promote health and have been considering sustainability before adopting. Meaning that I don't want to go on a diet. I am happy to adjust my eating / exercise to promote better health / lower body weight, but am not looking for a quick fix that won't be maintainable (for me).

Have lost .6 lbs since last post - down to 130.0. Have been eating mainly potatoes, lentils, brown rice, black beans for starch. Have also been incorporating lots of fruit and veggies.

Did have a couple of planned "feast" meals and snacks as was celebrating milestone birthday. Had been really thinking about what was worth it. Decided on scrambled tofu with veggies - onions, portabella mushroom, peppers. Used to buy a processed microwave tofu pocket (it was one of my favorite things to eat). Loved this meal !! Was worth it! Will be looking at how (as I still need to lose weight) -- that I can incorporate maybe monthly ? Also, bought a small package of free trade, no dairy chocolate with almonds. Ate a couple of pieces one night, then a couple of pieces the next night. Decided that I had enough pieces of it and threw it in the bottom of the garbage. So, probably 1/3 of 600 calorie bag eaten. It was probably not worth it. (but planned!)

From habits perspective, I think that I need to plan to incorporate some treats. Would look to keep these on plan for regular McD program, but maybe a bit richer. This could never be peanut butter or avocado for me. They could be banana nice cream, oven popped corn (no oil), hummus with a T of tahini, a one serving size treat from recipe, tofu scramble.... Would make it more realistic to have an indulgence every so often, but plan for it. I haven't "regained health and appearance", but I am not in a race to "finish"....

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lyndzie » Thu May 31, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Veg! I was reading the overfat article and don’t think it’s a good reason to feel down about yourself. In the beginning of the article, BMI is criticized for being to simplistic, but at the end of the article the waist-to-height ratio is praised for its simplicity. Also, a person’s waist is the slimmest part of their midsection, which is usually about an inch above the navel. You are probably thinner than you think!

130 lbs is excellent! You should be so pleased with your progress.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:06 am

Lyndzie wrote:Hi Veg! I was reading the overfat article and don’t think it’s a good reason to feel down about yourself. In the beginning of the article, BMI is criticized for being to simplistic, but at the end of the article the waist-to-height ratio is praised for its simplicity. Also, a person’s waist is the slimmest part of their midsection, which is usually about an inch above the navel. You are probably thinner than you think!

130 lbs is excellent! You should be so pleased with your progress.

Hi Lyndzie! Thank you much for your encouraging words! Much appreciated!

I am quite happy with my results to date... The waist measuring exercise was a bit of a downer - probably due to the fact that I have a preconceived notion of what that "number" should be... and hadn't measured for decades!! :lol: Also, as you mention with measuring the slimmest part -- that's what I remember doing in the past, but this article had different ideas. I think this is something that I will not repeat -- but will use the mirror and how clothes are fitting instead.

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:34 am

Happy Saturday!!

Weighed yesterday and holding at 130.0. Total lost since 1/5 is 22.8 lbs. - with 5.6 lbs. lost in May.

For June... continuing to try to keep it simple and within the McD principles, especially considering Jeff N's calorie density principles. So, for me that means mainly MWL (except for extra 1-2 fruit / day) and very LIMITED meal(s) or snack(s) that comply with "regular McD", but may not be the lowest calorie density. Very LIMITED means 2-3 / week. For instance, 1 homemade pumpkin muffin or 2 corn only tortilla or 1 fat free whole wheat pita or 1/2 c. (dry) oven made popcorn without oil. (This is to keep my sanity, maximize enjoyment, help to embed lifetime habits - as I am aware that I would lose lbs. faster w/o it...)

Other habits continuing - wake up 30 minutes early every morning and walk, no diet pop, minimally processed foods only, minimal sodium.

On diet pop -- this is an area that I never tried to reduce / eliminate in past. Unbelievably, has been one of the easiest changes that I've made this year. For about a month, I started replacing servings of it with glasses / bottles of water. Then, about 3 weeks ago, just stopped buying pop and stopped drinking it. Have had 1 in the interim - and it tasted TERRIBLE!! Something that I will never go back to. (By the way, I drank a lot of diet pop.... )

Had intended to grow a large garden this season... Weather here started out rainy and cold every weekend then last weekend went to mid-90's. I need to remove raised beds and do quite a bit of work to get the garden going and that wasn't happening in the steamy weather. SO, Option B is in place - which is a container garden -- some pepper plants and cherry tomato plants -- also some herbs. Will do the clean up in the garden bit by bit this summer / fall so that it is READY next year!

Going to look to make a homemade BBQ sauce and homemade veggie stock this month. Would love to find good recipes that I can repeatedly make to have these items on hand. I've identified the ones that I'll try first -- and will go from there. I haven't been eating BBQ sauce at all -- after watching Jeff N. Label reading DVD. (I have been using low-sodium broth, which fails the test...)

Last 2 "new" recipes that I tried in the crock pot were "meh" and I won't make them again. FIndings - do NOT make rice in the crock pot even if the recipe calls for it. You will regret it!

I stil want to experiment / try new recipes - but really only 1 per week max. I like plain old potato or rice with veggies -- and maybe some beans or lentils. I make a batch of red lentil chili or split pea soup or veggie stew to take to work for lunch throughout the week (using a tried and true recipe - don't want to not like my lunch all week).

Anyway, guess I'm long and rambly today... Going out for a walk and then doing yardwork... Flowers!! :cool: :cool:

Happy McDougalling to All!!!
VegSeekingFit

Postby midnight87 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks for the reply :) Looks like you've found success on this program. Seeing your journal really let's me know I just plain need to clean up my food...I think journaling is really going to help me. Hope you have a great weekend!
midnight87

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 pm

midnight87 wrote:Thanks for the reply :) Looks like you've found success on this program. Seeing your journal really let's me know I just plain need to clean up my food...I think journaling is really going to help me. Hope you have a great weekend!

Thanks, Midnight for your support!! :-D

I have found success, looking to optimize that... (EDITED 6/5 to clarify: NOTE I have found short-term success in losing weight by adhering to this science based WOE. I haven't yet met my goals and know that "success" could be fleeting...)

Please take my own journal with a grain of salt -- as we are all an experiment of N=1 and I came into this journey this year with some of the harder things already done -- like no animal products and swimming upstream in the social world... Wishing you all of the best on your journey!!! :cool:
Last edited by VegSeekingFit on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Loving the great weather!! Loving the new in season produce!!!

Today's Eats

B: Potato, black beans, jalapeno, red onion, tomato
S; Cucumbers
L: Red Lentil Chili, raspberries, cauliflower
S: Red pear, celery, banana (not all at once!)
D: Potato -
Water stir fried - box of shitake mushrooms, jalapeno, red onion, garlic - with a splash of low-sodium Tamari and a sprinkle of sesame seeds (YUM!)

Today's Exercise:

30 minute walk outside - first thing
3 walks mid-day at work
Minimize elevators - take stairs

Today's Listens:

Found a new podcast - Optimal Living Daily - that is about 10 min and varies in topics - self-actuialization, minimalism, relaxation - LOVE it

Also, TED Talks has a job podcast - listened to the one that featured Ariana Huffington and it was valuable food for thought...

On Audible, listiening to RIch Roll - about 3/4 through - great book, not sure why it took me so long to pick it up....

Wishing good thoughts to all McDougallers!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals