My goals & how I will get there!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My goals & how I will get there!

Postby LarissaQ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 am

Hi my name is Larissa. I'm almost 45. I'm from Australia. I am 20kg (44lb) overweight, currently between 79kg/174lb and 76kg/167lb it fluctuates during the month. I'm only about 162cm/5foot4.
I'm currently struggling with pain. My major motivation to eat well is to be pain free. I have a hip bursitis which is made worse by sitting or exercising- a small problem! So I am going to be trying to reduce my inflammation through diet until I can exercise without exacerbating my hip with exercise. I also have Adenomyosis which is a feminine problem involving PAIN monthly. I also struggle with PMDD each month.
I love coffee and get depressed when I try to stop drinking it. I have struggled with depression in the past and know what it feels like. I have heard it said that your brain chemistry is permanently changed from drinking coffee, so I'm going to take it slow reducing, even though it's ridiculously inflammatory. Otherwise I won't be able to function. I am also allergic to casein in cow and goats milk and have started reacting to soy also. So more inflammation. I've been mainly dairy free since 2003 and tried veganism many times over the years but I always seem to go back. This time I'm determined to change my lifestyle permanently.
So, the plan is, finish off any non McDougall foods over Easter and implement McDougall ingredients at the same time. Even though I have eaten some non McDougall foods the past two days I am counting today as day two.
Goals are to lose twenty kg. Be pain free and possibly avoid a hysterectomy. As well as increase energy, vitality, longevity and attractiveness!
So I will do my best to update here often.
I weigh myself on days ending with zero, so the 10th, 20th and the 30th if there is one (not February!)
I'm planning on the KISS method with food (Keep it Simple Silly). Potatoes, rice, oats, quinoa, beans, veggies, fruit. I'm currently on two coffees a day, down from three and am swapping for black tea then green tea then will go to herbal. But I've done cold turkey before and it ain't pretty! Not doing that to my family again.
So join my journey or comment if you have any suggestions or experience with inflammation, endometriosis or adenomyosis, casein allergy or addiction, caffeine addiction, depression, PMDD or
PMT.
Larissa
LarissaQ

Re: My goals & how I will get there!

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi Larissa! welcome

You'll find this discussion board to be very supportive.

As for coffee, (one of my favorite stories about this way of eating)...when I first started McDougalling about 10 years ago, I didn't even try to get rid of coffee. I figured, hey, I'm eating SO extremely healthy, I'm going to keep this one little vice around.

Well, not two weeks into it, I noticed I didn't need my afternoon cup(s) after work. Then I only drank about half a mug the next morning. (down from an entire pot over the course of a day)...and the very next day, I made a pot of coffee, poured myself a mug, and took one sip and my body couldn't handle it! It made me jittery and nauseous. I could feel the jolt in my adrenals...Well, I poured that coffee down the drain and soon afterwards got rid of the coffee maker. I think eating this way allowed my system to produce enough healthy, natural energy that the jolt of the coffee was unpleasant.

Now and then I do still enjoy a cup of coffee as a treat, but I don't need it and I never had any withdrawal symptoms. I had worse when I quit green tea a few weeks ago. ;) So maybe it will work out for you similarly. Your body, healthy, doesn't need that jolt of caffeine.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby LarissaQ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:48 am

Thank you for the welcome and the encouragement. I hope similar happens for me. :)
LarissaQ

Postby LarissaQ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm

So an honest update nearly a month after my first post. I haven't been very compliant to the McDougall diet. We have had some massive family issues to deal with. I have had extremely low motivation and energy and have been in so much pain. None of these are excuses, just listing the truth.
I have noticed that when I eat something with oil or highly refined grains or that one time I had meat, I am so sore within an hour or two.

I has been taking anti-inflammatories for my pain but found this last few weeks my sleep and tummy have been effected, I have never had sleep problems except when pregnant. I also tried some hormone therapy for my women's problems and that just threw everything out. I felt so unwell for about 10 days (only took 3).

So. Back to square one.

I stopped all antiinflammatories 4 days ago and have felt better, although still in pain.
I have eliminated all non McDougall food except coffee which I will slowly reduce so I can function.
Yesterday my family (who are home in this house) have started a 60 day challenge of whatever it is they believe is best for them. One is implementing an exercise regime another is avoiding junk food. I am mcdougalling 100%.

It's time, I have no other options.

I am also starting a new job this week so I will be meal prepping in advance and making bulk/double for lunches. I'm thinking I will take fruit for snacks and herb tea. It's a reception job so things like grapes and mandarins that you don't have to chew too much and can answer the phone quickly! Any other suggestions?
So not progress, but an update.
I'll call back in this weekend with numbers and how I went eating and doing lunches etc.
LarissaQ

Postby SonjaK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 am

I love that 60-day challenge idea. Individualized and yet so supportive of each other! I think it's great and am looking forward to hearing about your progress!

sonja
SonjaK

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals