The Slow-Fast Way

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Slow-Fast Way

Postby kirstykay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Everyone!
I'm back again! This time for good. The long and the short of it is I've continued to search for the quick-fix, the magic bullet, the "secret cure" that will fix me and finally make me one of the "afters." I have been at this a long time, but have continued to allow myself to be seduced by the various claims made by people or programs that promised the "answer" through juicing or mono-food cleansing or fasting or detoxing, or other various extreme approaches that mostly promised easy, speedy weight loss and recovery from all that ails me.

I have tried digging deep into the "root cause" of what has kept me stuck, trying to figure out what is broken about me and how to fix it because certainly, by now and with all this knowledge, I should have gotten this figured out and be living the life I've imagined...I still don't have the answers to those questions. But, by watching Dr. Doug Lisle webinars, I have begun to ask different questions, and I think I am making some progress. I have learned that I am not "broken." Rather, I am a normal human animal who behaves predictably around over-stimulating food, and I can decide to change, but it's hard.

Turns out, as many of my fellow travelers here likely already know, THERE IS NO QUICK FIX, MAGIC BULLET, SECRET CURE! News flash, right? The answer has been here the whole time. It is what Dr. Lisle refers to as the "Slow-Fast Way" and it requires showing up every day, making the next best choice, eating starch with some vegetables and fruit, drinking water, getting a little sunshine, and moving my body. It's called the Starch SOLUTION for a reason, after all! I have known this. I have lived it. I have lost hold of it by becoming impatient, or scared, or tired, or feeling sorry for myself, or just really wanting to be DONE, already. And I have gone down the dark path and gotten lost and tried to find my way back. I am back...finally back, and ready now for the slow-fast way. I'm done looking for new easy answers and ready to apply the simple answer I found all those years ago...the one that has been here waiting for me. Starch, some vegetables, a little fruit, move my body. I. am. back.

I don't know if anyone can relate, or will care, or will believe me when I say I am ready. And that is okay. I believe me. I am willing to admit I am not now nor will I ever be perfect at this. I am willing to admit that there are some things I am unwilling to give up right now, like an occasional soy latte over good conversation with a dear friend, some pure maple syrup on my morning oatmeal, salt as a seasoning, a glass of really good red wine in front of the fireplace with my husband on date night... I am okay with these things. They make the long-haul seem possible to face. They make me feel sane. Maybe someday I can be "perfect" like some people seem to be, but for now, I am just going to be me. I am going to keep getting up and putting one foot in front of the other and showing up for my life and being a part of the solution and forgiving myself for not being those people. I am just me. That has to be okay, it's all I got.

I am going to do my best to log in here often and record my journey. I was going to say record my progress, but that remains to be seen. Mostly, I'll log my food. Maybe I'll write some things I'm thinking. No big proclamations, no grand expectations, no huge goals. But I WILL show up and do my best and be myself and try not to be lured away again.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Re: The Slow-Fast Way

Postby f00die » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 pm

kirstykay wrote:... or just really wanting to be DONE, already.

done with what?

eat more clean starch
a nice big plate of plain rice
you'll feel much better

how to eat "perfectly":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHoPKQxbko
f00die

Postby astirle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 am

Hi KK

Sounds like you're beating yourself up a bit too much!
Your health is your business and nobody else can judge you, it's yours and is in your hands alone.

As I see it we are surrounded by temptations of all sorts every single day,.
Everyone here struggles, more or less depending on individual weaknesses and challenges.

You are not alone, just wanted to wish you all the best with the daily challenge of doing the best for your health that you can!
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby kirstykay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 am

f00die wrote:
kirstykay wrote:... or just really wanting to be DONE, already.

done with what?

eat more clean starch
a nice big plate of plain rice
you'll feel much better

how to eat "perfectly":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHoPKQxbko

Done with the struggle. Done with always having to eat differently than everyone else. Done with fighting my addictions / the battle inside my head that's constantly there. Done with waking up everyday facing an extra 65 pounds and being grateful that it's only 65 because it's been twice that, but wondering why I haven't conquered this yet. Done going to bed at night rating my day based on how "good" I was, or wasn't, and making promises to myself that tomorrow, I will be better. Done.

I'll go eat a plate of plain rice now, thanks. I think you're right, that will make me feel better. ;)

Edited to say: AWESOME VIDEO!! Thanks! It really is so simple! I'm going to watch that every time I am feeling discouraged! Thanks!

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 am

astirle wrote:Hi KK

Sounds like you're beating yourself up a bit too much!
Your health is your business and nobody else can judge you, it's yours and is in your hands alone.

As I see it we are surrounded by temptations of all sorts every single day,.
Everyone here struggles, more or less depending on individual weaknesses and challenges.

You are not alone, just wanted to wish you all the best with the daily challenge of doing the best for your health that you can!

Thanks Astirle! I think you're right. I appreciate the encouragement and well wishes. It means a lot. It's good to be back here.

kirstykay

Postby moonlight » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 am

Go girl! You can do it! Your head's in the right place. One foot in front of the other - baby steps! XXOX
moonlight

Postby kirstykay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks, Moonlight! Yes. Baby steps!

I did well this week. I made better choices and stayed away from the junk. Didn't exercise, but my eating was much better. I gained 1 pound. I may need to get rid of my scale. I'm working hard on not being discouraged. But, then I tell myself that the scale will follow my behavior in the long run, so that is what I'm focusing on - doing what I can and letting go of the rest.

So, today was a batch cooking day, and it felt empowering to know that I have a bunch of healthy food waiting for my busy week ahead. I made Cheezy Rice and Broccoli Casserole, Smokey Potato Corn Chowder, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Boiled Potatoes for Air Fries, Big Salad, Roasted Artichoke and Garlic Hummus with Crudites. I'm all set. I have frozen bananas in the freezer for nice cream and LOTS of frozen veggies and Black Bean Burgers ready to go. I am prepared.

This week I'm working on using smaller plates and figuring out normal portions. I know I am eating too much. I think my body is learning to trust that it will get food when it is hungry. I assume that's why I gained this week. I'm also going to try to post my meals here so I can keep myself accountable. One foot in front of the other. I may need to tweek things more, but this is good for this week.

kirstykay

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Yeah Kirstykay! You're back! Seems like home-coming here!. I love your posts.Your inspired me last year to just
do it,got my blood sugars down along with the weight. Now the hard part is keeping it off!! :roll:

You CAN do this.! One bowl of rice or oatmeal at a time. Keep posting! RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Anna Green » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am

omg! your food! What's your address?
Anna Green

Postby moonlight » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm with Anna! That menu sounds so good! Just keep eating the 'right foods'. Try not to get obsessed with how much you're eating. Once you get rid of all the cravings for non-compliant foods and you develop some discipline you'll start losing weight.

I think our biggest asset is the willingness to keep at it. Each day is a new day. The past cannot be changed. All we have is today. How do we want it to go? If we bathe ourselves in the principals to weight loss that's on this website we can't go wrong. If we quit trying it will never get done.

Good for you for batch cooking!!
moonlight

Postby kirstykay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:12 pm

RAZ!! That's AWESOME!! Gotta say, I'm touched that you said I inspired you. I'm so happy and so excited for you!! Now, I just need to inspire myself LOL!! Actually, I'm feeling pretty inspired finally and I think I'm on the right track.

Anna! Come on over! I made PLENTY LOL!!! Haha!

Moonlight-thanks for the wisdom. You are right. Today. I can do today. I really appreciate this reminder, and need to keep it in the forefront of my mind.

On that note: Today was a WIN. :D I really felt like I was mindful of my food and my portions and kept in line with my goals. I feel full and satisfied. When I say portions, don't get me wrong. I am not limiting my portions, just being mindful to eat until satisfied and not stuff myself. This is a work in progress.
No exercise today. I was supposed to go to yoga with my dh, but got a phone call from a dear friend who I haven't talked to in too long, and didn't want to cut it short...fed my soul today with that connection.

Breakfast-Oatmeal with Banana and Cherries
Snack-2 dill pickles (homemade by my boss-she brought them in to work and they were AMAZING!!)
Lunch-Cheezy Rice and Broccoli Casserole
Dinner-Air Fries with ketchup and honey mustard, green beans

If I string some days together like today, I'll be in business. Feels great to know I can do it.

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:41 am

Down 2 pounds this week! So relieved. Beginning to release the false belief that I am broken and flawed and hopeless. It's not the loss this week that has brought me to this conclusion but it doesn't hurt. I've been watching and re-watching Dr. Lisle's videos and I found his Q& A this week to be particularly helpful. I want to get to the point where I only weigh myself monthly as he suggests, but for now, I'm going to start with weekly. I feel confident that this will help with my mindset and keep me from expecting an immediate cause and effect correlation with the scale. My focus needs to be on my behavior and compliance.

I had some wins and some losses this week. I wasn't perfect, but I managed to come out ahead on the scale. So the other false belief I am releasing is that I have to be perfect. I made a couple less than perfect choices this week, and had a couple huge victories. All-in-all, I came out ahead.

Batch cooking last weekend really helped me be prepared for this week, so I intend to do that again this weekend. I still have Potato Corn Chowder and I made a Vegetable Bean soup yesterday for my husband who is sick. So I probably won't make more soup. I also still have the roasted sweet potatoes in the fridge that I need to use. I'm still learning how much food to make for a week. I've been thinking it's been a while since I made my roasted vegetables and also, I have everything I need to make a good Asian Stir-Fry, and I've been craving my Mexican Layered Pie. Probably too much food. I'll have to think about it. I think I'm hungry! Haha!

Another thing that has been on my mind is the post that Jeff Novick made called "Get a Life." I know I need to really give that some consideration. Weight loss and healthy eating/exercising has been such a consuming, life-long pursuit that I have perhaps given it too much space in my brain and my life. Especially now that my kids are out of the house and pursuing lives of their own, I really need to think about what other things I'd like to focus on in my life. My biggest take-away is that I don't have to wait until I'm at my goal weight to begin really living. It's just going to take some time to figure out what that looks like. Between raising kids and supporting my husband in his goals, I've gotten a little lost. It's exciting to think that it can be my turn, in a sense. It's also a little scary.

I'm going to try to do a better job of logging my food so I can see areas I need to tweek.

Yesterday's Food:
BKFS:Grits cooked in water with maple syrup
LUNCH:Vegetable Bean Soup (2 lg bowls)
SNACK: Apple with 1 TBS almond butter
1/2 Chipotle Bowl (brown rice, both beans, fajita veggies, mild salsa, corn salsa) over 4 cups mixed baby spring greens w/ 1 TBS Guac

Food Plan Today:
BKFS: 3/4 c (dry) Oatmeal cooked in water with cherries and blueberries and 1 Tbs flaxseed meal
LUNCH: Vegetable Bean Soup
DINNER: Rice and Broccoli Casserole, Crudites with Artichoke Hummus
SNACK: Apple

kirstykay

Postby Jobet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 am

Hi kirstykay,

Thank you so much for visiting my journal and now I've found yours. I enjoyed reading your posts. I haven't seen Dr. Lisle's latest video yet, but have it near the top of my list. I'm sure it's good and he helps me so much too.

And, Jeff N's post, "Get a Life"! that is so awesome and really spoke to me. Like you I found my way here after searching into all sorts of food related plans, and nothing has helped me like the starch solution. I know without a doubt it is something I can live with the rest of my life. I don't need a lot of variety, so I just make this WOE as simple as possible.

Looking forward to more of your posts!! Keep up the good work. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Anna Green » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 am

kirstykay, I wish you could see you like I do. You'd have a very high self-esteem! I need to know how to make the broc and rice casserole. That is if you like it enough to make it again.
Anna Green

Postby kirstykay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Jobet-thanks for stopping by! Glad we found each other!! :)

Anna- REALLY??? Thank you for saying that.

Here is the recipe for the Cheezy Rice Broccoli Bake. I LOVED it and will def make it many more times! I adapted it for MWL from EatPlant-Based.com -- Also, I've made it with or without the chickpeas; it's good either way.

INGREDIENTS:

Casserole
4 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
3/4 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup celery, diced
3-4 Tbps veggie broth
1 cup chickpeas, cooked (or 1 can drained)
3 cups brown rice, cooked
3 cups Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce (recipe below)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dry steak seasoning
salt & pepper to taste

Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup carrots, diced
1/4 cup onions, diced
1 cup broth from veggies
1/2 cup white beans
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 pinch paprika
1/2 pinch cayenne pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:

Casserole
1. Make the Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce first using directions below.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper.
3. In a medium sized sauce pan, saute onion, garlic, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and celery in veggie broth. Cook until slightly tender, approximately 3 minutes.
4. Add the broccoli florets and cook another 3 minutes.
5. Stir in chickpeas, brown rice, 2 cups of the cheese sauce, and spices. Save the remaining 1
cup of cheese sauce for topping.
6. Mix thoroughly and remove from heat.
7. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, pressing in with spoon to fill the pan. Drizzle the remaining 1 cup of
cheese sauce over the top. I like to sprinkle a little more smoked paprika on top. Place in oven and bake for 30
minutes.
8. Once completely cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool.
9. Serve warm and enjoy!

Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
1. In medium pot, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in pot and allow to cook
until veggies are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are
diced.
2. When veggies are tender, drain and place them in blender. NOTE: reserve 1 cup of the broth, and add to blender.
Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
3. Now, it's ready to use in this casserole or anything else you need a creamy, cheesy sauce in. It makes
approximately 1 quart and can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

kirstykay

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals