Clean eating and regular training

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Clean eating and regular training

Postby kostya » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Konstantin, 30 years old, from Russia. 193 cm height, 107 kg weight, quite athletic, running 3-4 times a week + strength training 2-3 times. But still carry extrae ~20 kg.

It's my second or third attempt to start journaling here. It's been a lot of time since the last try. I gained a lot of experience and now understand my body and my mind better.

For the last 6 weeks I tracked my food intake with Cronometer and gained some interesting insights which help to explain my fails and devise a new plan.

1) When I eat very clean, MWL style, I tend to undereat. Too often my food intake in a day is only 1800-2200 cals. With my height and activity level it's very low. And of course I cannot sustain this low intake for long. I think the culprit here is that I developed some level of distrust to my satiety and hunger signals. MWL is large volume / low calories. Too often my mind says that I ate already a lot and should stop, while body is still not fully satiated. When I eat till complete satiation, without any restriction, I eat more appopriate 2700-2900 cals a day.

2) When I eat not very clean, visiting friends or family, I tend to overeat. Too often my food intake in those days is in 4000-4500 cals range.

3) In general I eat clean 4-5 days a week and not clean 2-3 days. It means that in a week there're 3000-5000 of extra calories. It explains why my weight doesn't change. And eliminating this surplus will start a steady weight loss.

It means that all this time Dr. McDougall has been right. Eat till full satiation, trust your hunger, eat clean and you'll be fine.

Goals:

1) To write in this journal daily for 100 days. What I ate in a day and what my activities were. I think it will help to develop and sustain commitment and accountability.
2) To write a weekly progress post. With my current weight, my level of motivation and commitment, and some thoughts about the week.

Challenges and solutions:

1) Eating clean around family members and friends. Especially when tasty treats are easily available.

Solutions:

- not to go out hungry, to eat well at home first
- bring my own food, eat my food + some veggies and fruits
- remind myself of larger goals
- have an intention to eat clean

2) Losing motivation.

Solutions:

- just keep doing it. Over time it should become easier. And seeing the progress will increase motivation.
- remind myself of larger goals, have clear picture in my mind

The diet:

MWL with occasional bread and no oil pasta or home made no oil veggie pizza. While tracking my food intake, I've found that bread in general is not a problem. Often it helps to up my food intake to appropriate level.
kostya

Re: Clean eating and regular training

Postby kostya » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Day 1 - not clean

Food:

Breakfast: plain oats with 2 tbsp sugar
Lunch: white rice, kimchi, veggie salad, sauerkraut soup with split peas and home made croutons
Dinner: fried with 1.5 tbsp oil potatoes with butternut squash, 7 cookies, 1/2 cup of homemade jam

Activities:

Walking: 80 minutes.
Easy running: 27 minutes.
kostya

Postby SilverDollar123 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Welcome to McDougall's way of eating! (woe). All the way from Russia wow! I'm from North Carolina,USA. Most of us
slip on occasion but the important part is just keep at it,& it does get easier. Again welcome. RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby kostya » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:43 pm

SilverDollar123, thank you! I hope I'm back for long enough time to see the changes.

Day 2 - almost clean

Food:

Breakfast: oats.
Lunch: rice, split peas, pickled veggies, two big slices of rye bread.
Dinner (not home): buckwheat, 2 tsp of sugar with tea, several slices of freshly baked white bread and challah.

Activities:

Walking: 100 minutes.
Calisthenics, medium intensity: 30 minutes.

Today was the first test. I went to my parents for dinner. There were several fresh treats. It was tempting, but I really didn't want to fail right at the beginning. So I limited myself to more healthy food.
kostya

Postby Ruff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi Konstantin, I’m Katie from New Zealand. Aren’t we an international bunch!

Welcome to the forums.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby SilverDollar123 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 am

Could you post the recipe for the sauerkraut soup? Sounds interesting. RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Morris » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 am

Yes, that sauerkraut soup sounds good, recipe please.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby kostya » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Hello everyone again! I really didn't expect that the forum is so active. It's very nice :)

Day 3 - basically clean

Breakfast: oats
Lunch: rice, soup, split peas, croutons, 2 slices of bread
Dinner: 2 cups of oat milk, banana, 2 slices of bread, 2 tsp of sugar and later more soup with croutons.

Activities:

Walking: 60 minutes
Easy running: 30 minutes

The recipe for soup is from Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. There's great recipe for borscht, soup with soured beets (highly recommended!). I just replaced soured beets with sauerkraut.

2-3 onions, chopped
2 tbsp oil (I omit this, because of no oil rule, and without oil I like it more)
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cups soured beets or sauerkraut
6 cups/1.5 liters water
1 tbsp caraway seeds (I omit this, don't like the final flavour)

He advices to chop and saute onions first until browned. I just chop and measure everything and put into a pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots become soft.

Both soured beets and sauerkraut versions go very well with homemade croutons, especially rye. It adds a lot of nice roasted bread flavour. I put a small handful into a bowl with soup and wait a few minutes to rehydrate.

Sauerkraut version also goes very well with split peas, especially slightly overcooked, when it almost turned into puree. Chickpeas, white beans, red and yellow lentils should work also, though I haven't tried these yet. But red or black beans, or green lentils is better to use in another recipes, they don't combine very well.

I discovered this recipe a few months ago and this winter it's been one of the greatest pleasure for me. To come home from freezing temperature after a walk or a run, fill a bowl with soup, to put croutons on one half and a few tablespoons of split peas on another half. To smell this blend of flavours and enjoy this very warming and very filling meal.
kostya

Postby SilverDollar123 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:36 am

Thank you I will try this too. I love borscht soup,my grandmother made it a lot when I was small. When-ever we
got sick we would ask her to make us some pink soup!
Another question...How do you get soured beets? Is it something you can buy in Russia? or do you sour
them yourself? Also is it the same as pickled beets? I do not think I would put split peas or beans with sauerkraut soup.(Too Gassey)!! :eek:

Your meals look good too! Keep up the good work. RAS
Last edited by SilverDollar123 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverDollar123

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 am

Yummy, that sauerkraut soup DOES sound good! I love soup...soup is magic...and plan to make a batch of it soon.

It looks like you're going strong now! keep it up :) This forum really is MOST helpful for staying on track.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kostya » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Another question...How do you get soured beets? Is it something you can buy in Russia? or do you sour
them yourself? Also is it the same as pickled beets?

I follow book's recipe. Grate ~1kg of raw beets, sprinkle it with 1.5tbsp salt, optionally add some caraway seeds (I don't like it) and let ferment for a week,
Sauerkraut is traditional thing in Russia. Almost every household has at least one 3 liter jar filled with it. But no one I asked ever heard about soured beets :) It's probably from Poland or Ukraine or Germany. Borscht here is very popular, but it's made from fresh beets and fresh cabbage on beef stock.

Soured beets version is way better. It has much better flavour and balance.
kostya

Postby kostya » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Day 4

Breakfast: oats, some raisins, an apple, a cup of oat milk.
Lunch: rice, steamed cabbage and carrots.
Dinner (not home): vegan pizza with a lot of veggies and 1-2 tbsp of oil on it - probably should have avoided, a few slices of confectionery made from seeds and sugar syrup - definitely should have avoided.

Activities:

Walking: 90 minutes
kostya

Postby kostya » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Day 5 - clean

Breakfast: 2 medium apples, a large cup of oats with 1 tbsp raisins
Lunch: 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup split peas, 2 slices of bread, 2 tbsp pickled veggies
Dinner (not home) (2 meals): 2 cups boiled potatoes, 1 orange, 2 mandarines, 2 cups fresh salad without oil, 1/2 loaf of fresh bread, 2 tsp sugar in tea with lemon.

Activities

Walking: 80 minutes
Medium intencity running: 50 minutes

Today is a huge progress. Went to parents for dinner and to do some maintanence work for the house. There were many treats available, but managed to not eat them this time. Ate plain bread without jam and drank tea without sugar (except the 1st cup).
kostya

Postby kostya » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Day 6 - clean

Breakfast: large cup of mixed grains, 1 tbsp raisins
Lunch: 2 cup rice, 2 medium beets, 2 slices of bread
Dinner (not home): 1.5 cup boiled potatoes, 1 cup rice, 3 slices of bread, 1 apple

Activities:

Walking: 80 min
Calisthenics: 30 min

There was some temptations today for sweets. They have much less power after a few days of avoiding sweets. I'm happy about it :)
Though I think I eat a lot of bread. :) It's mostly fresh bread I made myself. I'll try to replace some of it with more of whole grains.
kostya

Postby kostya » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Day 7 - not clean

Breakfast: mixed grains, raisins
Lunch: rice, cabbage, carrots, bread
Dinner (not home): potatoes fried on a skillet with a few tbsp of oil, pickles, kimchi, few pieces of dark chocolate, few small iranian dates, 1/2 cup apricot jam

Activities:

Walking: 40 min

I deviated from the plan, partly because it was convenient in that social situation, and partly because I'm going for a long run tomorrow with friends. Both are really bad excuses and I should be ready next time when similar excuse arises in my mind.
kostya

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals