The Splash of a Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Splash of a Journal

Postby Eager99 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 am

Day one (188.4 lbs)

How better to spend the 45th day of 2018 than using it for committing to the end of my fatness? As of today, 14 February, I’m committing to the McDougall regimen for maximum weight loss. Let’s hope it’s not impossible for me to get off the excess weight and keep it off since I’m determined. But it means radical changes, which I think I can do. I bought the paperback copy (which has arrived) of “The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss” (1995). It’s exactly what I need. On page 84, Dr McDougall outlines a crucial point about the MWL program:

This is not a torturous program: It is one that works with your nutritional and physical needs, not against them. The program is about harmony, not deprivation. In short, it is a program that will last.

So, obviously I can do it! Right? My embarrassment about my weight, I’ve decided to abandon:

As a child, and during many times in my adult life, I was trim.
My height is 5 feet 4.5 inches.
I first went over 200 lbs in late 2009.
Throughout 2014, I weighed about 250 lbs, my highest weight.
I dropped under 200 lbs again in June 2017.
Currently, I weigh 188.4 lbs.
My goal weight is 130 lbs or less.
Current age: early 60s.

Regarding food intake, my weakness is my fondness for restaurants—their oils, salt, and sugars and their excessive portion sizes. There’s a world of luxurious flavors to be had among restaurants: the foods of India, Pakistan, China, Thailand, Japan, Hispanic foods, plus ordinary vegan fare. No more. I’m staying out of all restaurants. From today forward, I shall chain myself to my own kitchen and eat only homemade foods that are healthy. Thanks to Mary McDougall’s recipes, plenty of which are included in the MWL book, I’ll be able to learn to make tasty dishes. This is no hardship, for I do enjoy cooking and exploring new vistas of cuisine. My palate has already changed for the better after I, several months ago, gave up the worst of my homemade indulgences, which was popcorn (air popped), onto which I splashed olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and nooch.

Thus, welcome to my journaling endeavor! I’m gung-ho about success, and I’ll check in with an update on weight changes and health-experiences at least once per week. If I’m diligent, I could reach my goal weight relatively quickly. Indeed, if I accomplish my crucial weight loss as planned, it will be the third McDougall idea I’ve successfully implemented. Beginning two years ago, I stopped getting flu shots and stopped subjecting myself to mammograms. My third McDougall-inspired accomplishment: stop unhealthy calorie-overconsumption by adhering to the McDougall MWL program. I can do it.
Eager99

Re: The Splash of a Journal

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 am

Hi there! welcome...is this your first foray into McDougalling? Or are you a returnee?

Take advantage of this terrific website. The program is spelled out, you can access everything you need for following, without paying a dime. And you can interact freely with people who will encourage and guide you.

:)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ruff » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 am

Hello Eager99, Welcome to the forums.

McDougalling works, I know, I have been here before, and lost heaps of weight. A love of rich vegan food has brought me back again, so here I am. The support here is wonderful and I know you can do this! It’s not a deprivation diet, if you feel hungry you just go bake a potato!

Katie
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Eager99 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Day one (188.4 lbs)
Day seven (185.6 lbs)

It’s gone well, the first week of my McDougall weight-loss adventure, so I’m pleased. A whole week is a long time; thus, I’ve been able to think a lot about the details of McDougallism and been able to read more of the book I bought about it. Thanks, Katie and bunsofaluminum, for your advice and encouraging comments. I love it.

Here’s what my week was like. Although there were tense times of temptation, I successfully avoided junk foods, including chocolate. As well, I avoided SOS in my home cooking. Above all, I avoided restaurant foods, which was not easy to do. (For now, I simply have to stay out of restaurants until I’m stronger.) If my goal was to begin adjusting to the McDougall protocol for Maximum Weight Loss (MWL), I’ve done that. And with the worst of my weaknesses (junk food and restaurants) dispensed with, I’ve shed a few pounds. Hooray!! I’m down 2.8 pounds.

However, I’ve discovered that, as a neophyte, I’m a gradualist rather than a cold-turkey person. I did slip up in terms of nuts and bread/pasta, possibly belying my success in getting rid of SOS. I’ve eaten quite a few nuts (pecans and walnuts) almost every day and some bread/pasta several times. Why? The reason is that I’m emptying these items from my pantry and freezer; when they’re gone, that’ll be the end of them in my home, which is what I mean by my gradualist approach.

Otherwise, I was starch steady all week. Regarding veggies, I was right on. Exercise went well, too—most days, I put in 90 minutes of hilly outdoors walking. I’m proud of my accomplishments and am looking forward to the coming week, during which I’ll tighten my adherence to the MWL program by ridding myself of at least the nuts. I’ll join the MWL thread, with weekly weigh-ins, after I’m fully adapted to The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss.

I should also mention that, as a treat for my week of success, I today made Mary McDougall’s recipe called “Cucumber Cilantro Salad” (on page 202 of my new MWL book). I’m eating this dish right now for dinner, and it’s spectacular!
Eager99

Postby Eager99 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:10 am

“It depends on where you put your paint, not how much of it you splash onto the canvass.” ~Eltinge

That I am dispirited, crestfallen is true. That I want to erase a week from my life is not surprising, given that I fell off of the wagon last week. I ate things I shouldn’t have eaten. That I’ll not belabor the details of my failure is for the best, I think. Let’s just agree that I'll erase my week of February 21 through 28, since a new month has begun, and I’m into the new diet-week, which will be successful—as it is so far.

In fact, I found the perfect solution to my week-long failed dieting commitment on page 135 of my hardcopy of The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss. On that page, which I found late last night, is a photocopyable form that I can tack to my refrigerator. The form requires me to agree to two statements:

First:

“If success is not easily accomplished, I will reexamine the principles of the program in light of my behavior, and try again.”

Second:

“If I fail initially, I will consider the setback a learning experience, necessary for future success, and I will try again. I will reward myself for the smallest improvements, for they are all great accomplishments.”
Eager99

Postby Eager99 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:30 am

For one week, therefore, I veered off the path of The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss. That was bad, and it took me away from my trek towards good health and a fine body. But I’m pleased to say that I’ve satisfactorily corrected my mishap. I’m back on track as of March 1st. Thus, today is day 4 of my renewed commitment. My weight hasn’t suffered much, either, as I weigh 185.0 pounds today. I’ve also kept up my intense focus on exercising for one-plus hours each day. I’m reading over and over the first five of Dr McDougall’s ten steps (pages 125-42) for establishing a healthy way of life:

Step 1. Be Goal-Oriented…

Step 2. Acknowledge Your Willingness to Pay the Price…

Step 3. Educate Yourself; Become an Expert…

Step 4. Visualize Yourself as Healthy…

Step 5. Make a Commitment: It’s Magic…
Eager99

Postby Ruff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 am

Well done for getting back on track so quickly. Life happens, stuff happens, it just does. And we need to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and get going again.

Which is just what you have done! :D

I remember dr McD saying once that the good thing about the maximum weight loss programme was that you could fall off it onto the main programme and not do too much damage!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals