Are we there yet? Formerly: 12 Week Experiment

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 12 Week Experiment

Postby Arewethereyet » Mon May 22, 2017 12:30 pm

shoot, just lost a whole explanation! I weigh myself daily to keep my goal "front of mind", and sometimes I imagine that I've "blown it" when I really haven't. So, most of the time it helps, it can be discouraging occasionally, when I go weeks at the same weight.

I've been away for awhile and had lost motivation to really work at this, but I have maintained at about 204-206 for several weeks. I think this is pretty good. Usually I would have gone totally back to where I started.

Feeling ready to try again, but I'm not thinking of this as an "experiment" because that made me feel I had to be perfect, and I can't maintain that for long. I was also not always eating enough calories.

My goals for now:
Keep fat to just 1 serving of nuts (peanut butter)/day and a half tablespoon of flaxseed if I have oatmeal.
Balance meals with vegetables and watch how much and what I'm snacking on outside of meals.
Maybe adjust amount eaten at meals, so that I don't need to snack.

I might still weigh daily, but I'm not going to expect a big change. As long as I'm at or below 206 by the end of May, that would be good. Want to be below 200 as an intermediate goal, but trying not to count on when.

Oh, forgot that I'm working on walking again. I'd like to do 45 minutes most days. Next month I signed up for a beginning runners program....

Food plan:
Breakfast: 2/3c oatmeal, 1 banana, a few strawberry slices, flax, 1tsp sugar.
Lunch/Snack: 1/2 c rice, 1/2-1c frozen broccoli, 1/6th block of tofu (1 svg). Carrots, celery, 2T peanut butter. (there was a little oil on the tofu, still working on how best to prepare this--better next time, usually eat beans, wanted something different).
Dinner: Whole wheat pasta with tomato and zucchini. Maybe raw veg and bean dip if still hungry.

Want to have more salads and more fruit, but having trouble buying husband's preferred food and also additional healthy things on our current budget (trying to pay off debt). Will look at budget again this week, see where I can change something.
Arewethereyet

Postby Jeff the Chef » Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Arewethereyet wrote:shoot, just lost a whole explanation! I weigh myself daily to keep my goal "front of mind", and sometimes I imagine that I've "blown it" when I really haven't. So, most of the time it helps, it can be discouraging occasionally, when I go weeks at the same weight.

I've been away for awhile and had lost motivation to really work at this, but I have maintained at about 204-206 for several weeks. I think this is pretty good. Usually I would have gone totally back to where I started.

Feeling ready to try again, but I'm not thinking of this as an "experiment" because that made me feel I had to be perfect, and I can't maintain that for long. I was also not always eating enough calories.

My goals for now:
Keep fat to just 1 serving of nuts (peanut butter)/day and a half tablespoon of flaxseed if I have oatmeal.
Balance meals with vegetables and watch how much and what I'm snacking on outside of meals.

I might still weigh daily, but I'm not going to expect a big change. As long as I'm at or below 206 by the end of May, that would be good. Want to be below 200 as an intermediate goal, but trying not to count on when.

Oh, forgot that I'm working on walking again. I'd like to do 45 minutes most days. Next month I signed up for a beginning runners program....

Food plan:
Lunch/Snack: 1/2 c rice, 1/2-1c frozen broccoli, 1/6th block of tofu (1 svg). Carrots, celery, 2T peanut butter. (there was a little oil on the tofu, still working on how best to prepare this--better next time, usually eat beans, wanted something different).
Dinner: Whole wheat pasta with tomato and zucchini. Maybe raw veg and bean dip if still hungry.

Want to have more salads and more fruit, but having trouble buying husband's preferred food and also additional healthy things on our current budget (trying to pay off debt). Will look at budget again this week, see where I can change something.

I hate losing explanations. Our breakfasts are similar. Don't give up.
Jeff the Chef

Postby Jeff the Chef » Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Arewethereyet wrote:shoot, just lost a whole explanation! I weigh myself daily to keep my goal "front of mind", and sometimes I imagine that I've "blown it" when I really haven't. So, most of the time it helps, it can be discouraging occasionally, when I go weeks at the same weight.

My goals for now:

Food plan:

I hate losing explanations. Our breakfasts are similar. Don't give up.
Jeff the Chef

Postby Arewethereyet » Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Funny thing happened the last two days, I was too busy planning on walking in the morning to weigh myself when I got up. I do have a weigh in tonight at my meeting.

Yesterday I just walked to and from work, about 15 minutes each way. Today, I woke up on time and did 45 minutes before breakfast, and then walked to work.

Last night I ate as planned, but had a slice of toast and peanut butter after dinner.

Today:

B: 2 slice toast with peanut butter, 1 c soy milk, 1 serving strawberries.
L: Broccoli, 1 c brown rice, carrot slaw and 1/6th block tofu
S: Banana
D: Pasta salad with tomato, zucchini, onion. Maybe raw carrots

Already planned my meals for next week:
Dinners-
Curried chick peas and vegetables over rice with side salad or steamed veg
Whole wheat spaghetti with mushrooms and marinara, salad or veg
Potatoes, green vegetable, toast, tomato/cucumber salsa.

My lunches: Chickpeas and sweet potatoes with rice, raw vegetable and fruit. Not sure if I will make this warm or serve as a cold salad.

Will have more than 10K steps today!
Arewethereyet

Re: Are we there yet? Formerly: 12 Week Experiment

Postby Arewethereyet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am

Feeling like picking this up again for a bit. Still up and down in weight, but with a downward trend. Am able to be very compliant for a few days, and then things creep up on me...exceptions, social outings, eating out for convenience.

Today I'm down to 198! Also weigh in the evenings once/week with a group, and I'm still about 203 there. I probably won't journal my food always, have been using a checklist of healthy habits instead, but need a little extra accountability.

Today:

B: 2/3c dry oatmeal, 1T flaxseed, 1 cup frozen fruit...didn't finish this.
Water, iron and B12
L: 2c brown rice, 2c 'fiesta blend' with beans
Carrots, Celery, Grapes
S: Apple
D: Whole wheat spaghetti, frozen veg, mushrooms...I will not eat bread and crackers after dinner!!!!!

Exercise: Bike 5-10 minutes to work, then bike errands...maybe another 20 min in the afternoon?

Sometimes I think I want to just do plain food for all meals, but I know I'll get bored and DH won't want to eat the left overs.
Arewethereyet

Postby Arewethereyet » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 am

Just had a victory!!! :eek:

Coworker brought me a tiny cupcake, and I could have just made an exception (which would likely lead to other exceptions). And...I slipped it into the trash!! :unibrow:

I'm starting to believe in EVIL...Just as I was writing this message, she received a delivery of two boxes of warm cookies. I can smell them, and she's pushing them on me. I said, "I just had a cupcake", and "really, please no thank you. Put them in the breakroom!". (She knows that I'm on a "DIET")

AAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHH!

Weight today: 194.4
I'd like to see more change in my waist measurement, but who knows if I'm measuring right. Going to start doing some strength exercises in addition to my walking to work, etc. Also rode my bike a bit yesterday. Not feeling the greatest because of T.O.M.

Food Plan Today:

B: Sweet Potato Beginnings (not too bad). I changed the proportions of the recipe
L: Oatmeal, raisins, lite soymilk (trying to use this up). 1/2 banana
D: Leftover navy-bean and vegetable soup, and a Salad
Arewethereyet

Postby Arewethereyet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Got into the weeds a bit this weekend. Ate candy, ate out, ate bread. Have been 197.4 the last three days, but not down about it. Just moving right along.

Had a doctor's appointment this morning, so haven't eaten yet. Plan for tonight is: Squash with rice and lentils, frozen vegetables.
Arewethereyet

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:05 am

Congrats on breaking news 200! You are moving in a great direction!!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Arewethereyet » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 am

Thinking maybe I should try again to revive this...at least the last few days, I've been feeling like I need a place to put down thoughts. Hope to work things out both with my eating plan, and "getting a life". Jeff's recent post was really timely for me.

Not sure what I want to do. I'd considered just accepting that TV and screen time are my hobbies. I like to watch youtube videos of other people doing things...crafts, hiking, eating well. 8)
"What do you enjoy doing?"
"Me, well, I like to watch 10 hours straight of 'Forensic Files' or 'Escape to the Country'."

It's kind of demoralizing to start and stop new ventures, and be on and off the wagon so much. It hasn't helped that this Spring has been so cold, normally I would get a few more walks in by now. I have ordered new running shoes, and have a new seat for my bike. Weather may be better this week. Rambling....

I'm gradually coming around to getting back on plan. There is always a gradual slide once I relax the boundaries. I also have trouble with caffeine...I feel great the first day on it, but then after a while, feel terrible. It becomes a gateway to other things. Currently still around 200lbs. I have done a good job of not getting too far off my weight after an initial gain of about 10lbs (from 192-202). I'm happy with that. I do feel almost as out of shape though, as I was about 30lbs ago with all the hibernating I've done all winter.

I'm experimenting with doing this along with weighing at Weight Watchers. I ignore all the advice. In fact, I tried counting points, but they penalize you so much for starchy foods (one cup of rice is more points than a slice of pizza), that I was eating my allotted points before dinner, yet only having 700 calories. I've switched to just the filling foods list, just eating McD approved foods.

Onward!
Arewethereyet

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals