My journal to beat heartburn

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My journal to beat heartburn

Postby astirle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:25 pm

Happy new year everyone and hope that your plant based dreams come true :)

For me they have.
I started this year with daily heatburn and feeling of desperation.
I end it feeling absolutely great, full of energy and have maintained the weight loss of 12 pounds, released by March this year!

I did eat off plan a bit this Christmas period but only in terms of sugar and processed starch.
Still vegan but not healthy vegan the whole time.
I also had the odd wine (not red) and a port or 2.
I put on a pound - which is now gone.
I got a little of the throat symptom which preceded the onset of my reflux pain in the past, but even being this little bit 'naughty' I still had no return of the pain. None.
I am so happy with this, I don't care that my family are convinced I must be miserable eating this way - falls on deaf ears that in fact we like it!

It is soon my one year anniversary of embarking on the starch solution. My husband and I both feel so much better for it. He is happy to continue along with me for the foreseeable, as he feels so much more energetic also.

I hope to increase my exercise this year and maybe lose some more weight if I tend more on the the MWL way.

These foods I have found are absolute no-nos for me now pretty much forever :(
(1) chocolate, cocoa, cacao which I do miss, I loved the low fat vegan sweet potato brownies I found - but no way.
(2) red wine - white can be ok in small amounts red is deadly
(3) nuts eaten on their own. No clue why this is the case, if I have nuts IN something it can be fine. It's the dryness of them maybe.

Pretty small list really, when you put that against bean chili enchiladas, potatoes every which way and as much fruit as I want!! yum

I got a vegetable spiraliser cutting tool for xmas so can't wait to perfect the hash browns I read about here:
http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2014/12/22/oil-free-hash-browns/

Best wishes for 2018 to all McDougallers and I hope everyone with reflux pain gives this way of eating a try :)
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby Riva » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:36 pm

I am so HAPPY for you! Congrats on your hard work. You BEAT it!!

Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby astirle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 am

Thank you so much Riva your support has been wonderful for me.
astirle

Postby CrazyVegLady » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 pm

I have the same thing, and I struggle with giving up chocolate. I gave up all caffeine for 2 years and then started again (I have no idea why, wish I hadn't), but I am off black tea again which is good.
CrazyVegLady

Postby astirle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Interesting isn't it CVL..I have to admit to one coffee a day which seems to be OK.
But more than that and it's trouble. Especially without food.
astirle

Postby CrazyVegLady » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:55 pm

You're lucky ;)
CrazyVegLady

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:07 pm

astirle wrote:Happy new year everyone and hope that your plant based dreams come true :)

For me they have.
I started this year with daily heatburn and feeling of desperation.
I end it feeling absolutely great, full of energy and have maintained the weight loss of 12 pounds, released by March this year!

I did eat off plan a bit this Christmas period but only in terms of sugar and processed starch.
Still vegan but not healthy vegan the whole time.
I also had the odd wine (not red) and a port or 2.
I put on a pound - which is now gone.
I got a little of the throat symptom which preceded the onset of my reflux pain in the past, but even being this little bit 'naughty' I still had no return of the pain. None.
I am so happy with this, I don't care that my family are convinced I must be miserable eating this way - falls on deaf ears that in fact we like it!

It is soon my one year anniversary of embarking on the starch solution. My husband and I both feel so much better for it. He is happy to continue along with me for the foreseeable, as he feels so much more energetic also.

I hope to increase my exercise this year and maybe lose some more weight if I tend more on the the MWL way.

These foods I have found are absolute no-nos for me now pretty much forever :(
(1) chocolate, cocoa, cacao which I do miss, I loved the low fat vegan sweet potato brownies I found - but no way.
(2) red wine - white can be ok in small amounts red is deadly
(3) nuts eaten on their own. No clue why this is the case, if I have nuts IN something it can be fine. It's the dryness of them maybe.

Pretty small list really, when you put that against bean chili enchiladas, potatoes every which way and as much fruit as I want!! yum

I got a vegetable spiraliser cutting tool for xmas so can't wait to perfect the hash browns I read about here:
http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2014/12/22/oil-free-hash-browns/

Best wishes for 2018 to all McDougallers and I hope everyone with reflux pain gives this way of eating a try :)

Hi Helen. this is wonderful news! Eating this way seems to be the panacea for SO many things. I'm happy that it worked for your distressing heartburn. Well done!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby astirle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks so much BoA!! :D
astirle

Postby astirle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

Quick post to celebrate just ovet a year since I lost my heartburn symptoms along with 7 kilos (15 pounds) on the starch solution which has not come back! I have lost another couple of pounds and now have BMI 22.5.
Today I went through and tossed a lot of clothes, especially underwear which is just too baggy. After a year I think it is safe to say I won't be wearing it again

I have been travelling so could not avoid oil the whole time over the last week, but now I am back in my kitchen I am back to feeling great.

My husband has also eats like I do, and he is starting to comment that when we can't avoid eating out (international travel ) everything tastes so oily! He says he feels like his body has changed on this diet and he has never felt so good.

Took my blood pressure today which I have not done for months, 99 /65. My doctor would be happy with that, except she never sees me! It has also been nearly 2 years since I had a bladder infection which used to plague me. I used to get them ever 6 months, this diet keeps my urine at an alkaline ph of around 8, and it seems that the bacteria just can't get a hold any more.

Wishing everyone the health improvements that I have had!
astirle

Postby astirle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 am

Going great still on this woe. Never think about heartburn but reading this journal again reminds me how horrible it was. I still seem to be losing a little weight very slowly, I eat as much as I like so never think about quantities or calories, this is a whole new world for me.

Now bmi 22.
astirle

Postby astirle » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:22 pm

Wow time has passed so quickly since this journal!
I have had a wonderful 2 years, stopped losing weight and stopped at BMI 21. Feel great, loving eating my morning oat groats and blueberries and so many potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Never had another bout of either urinary tract infection or heartburn.
I had niggly ache and pains here and there in the past but all have gone.
The McDougall starch solution has been like the holy grail, eat lots and stay the same weight.
It is of course hard to stay on track when travelling or with friends but unavoidable oil in food is the furthest I ever stray off the track.

I recently broke a collarbone in a car accident (caused by someone else) and the verdict was that everything is healing very well, I do put that down to diet as I am after all 57 and no spring chicken!

Just wanted to add an update that it's the food :) and It really does work.I don''t take any medication or supplement other than B12.
I read somewhere - ''once you know the truth you can't unknow it'' ! Stick with it because it may take 6 months to see the results you want.

All the best on your health journeys my friends :)
astirle

Postby astirle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 am

Wow hard to believe it's 3 years since I updated here.
I'm a devoted McDougaller and still love my oats, broccoli and most of all..potatoes!
Never felt better, never had another urinary tract infection and most grateful to have found Dr McDougall and the answer to my search for health.

It's the food !

Love and potatoes to you all :-D
astirle

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your update!!! I think it is so inspiring for the board members!!!

It is amazing to hear from McD'ers that continue to manage their health and weight. :D

Kudos to you!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby carwex » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:16 pm

Dear Astirie,

I so identify with your story. Heartburn was rife in my family (of mainly fat people). When it started to become my problem in my late 60's I looked at family members who were taking medication for heartburn and saw that it was not helping them. So i started on my journey of giving up foods that I felt contributed. First up was coffee. Gosh I loved coffee and drank a lot of it. I knew as an all or nothing kind of person I had to give it up completely. I think in the last 13 years I have had only one cup of coffee. Tea didn't have the same effect. Then came meat and dairy, especially butter. Then I realized I was half way to becoming vegan and within the week I changed over to a plant based diet a la John McDougall and have never had heartburn since. A few years ago I joined the Maximum weight loss group and made more inroads in weight loss. My husband has also benefitted from my plan since i am the cook. He is not completely plant based but it was enough to make him pretty healthy and thin.
Our crowning achievement came in October 2021, when we contracted covid 19 in Australia. The local hospital called us at home took our weight (low), asked about underlying conditions (none) and pronounced us "Low risk" I couldn't believe it since I'm almost 80, my husband 83. It's the food.
Keep to plan. It works
Carwex
carwex

Postby RacingSnake108 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:53 am

I just read through your journal and it's so inspiring! A good testament to what long-term adherence to this Lifestyle will achieve. Congratulations on your regained health and thank you for posting your updates.
RacingSnake108

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals