My journal to beat heartburn

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My journal to beat heartburn

Postby astirle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:32 am

This is my journal hoping to defeat my heartburn through a natural diet and not PPIs etc.

I'm 50 yrs old and until last year considered myself very healthy with no health issues - on no medications.

Last July out of the blue I got severe heartburn (ended up in emergency in case it was a heart attack) which I had never experienced before. My heart is fine and nothing problematic showed in blood tests. Since then, I have had heartburn a few times a day and often trouble swallowing, icky throat and a croaky voice. After 2 months after the delightful visit to emergency, I was prescribed a PPI (pantoprazole) which I took for 40 days up until Christmas. But when I read about the side effects I got scared to death and stopped taking the PPI and read some of the testimonials of people with GERD who cured it with the McDougall plan. I take no medication at all now for the last 3 weeks.The heartburn was appalling for the first 2 weeks, now it is around 50% less and I have been strictly on the McD standard program for the last 3 weeks. But I still suffer from heartburn daily - even an hour after eating only a potato :(

My husband and I have been vegetarian for 20 years, never smoked, and love fruit & veg so the diet is not so much of a change for me (except no CHEESE, and no oil - the husband opposes me on the 'olive oil is good for you', ' what about the mediterranean diet everyone knows thats the best one' etc).

I feel like I've googled and tried every possible thing that could help. I've tried DGL, raising the bed (husbandly opposition on that too, so I don't think it's high enough to help), I eat smaller meals and don't eat 2 hrs before bed.

The material on this site is absolutely incredible, I have learned so much from the webinars and newsletters! Even those that are on other topics such as arthritis have gems in them. Dr McDougall seems to have the knack of saying something that creates an 'aha' moment in every conversation!

I'm usually fine until about 2pm then I get heartburn on and off until around 8pm.
Luckily I don't get woken up in the night which is a blessing!
I take a tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water for the heartburn which definitely helps, but only for about 30 mins.

Maybe it will take a lot longer for me than most people? I'm trying to stay positive because I feel just great on this diet except for fixing the heartburn (!!) - which was the reason I am on it in the first place..:(
There are many testimonials from folks whose GERD disappeared in the first week, which gave me hope, but I'm just hoping that the diet can help maybe just it takes a longer term...

After 3 weeks on starch solution lost 3 kilos without any intention to lose weight, BMI 24.2
Last edited by astirle on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Re: My journal to beat heartburn

Postby astirle » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:49 am

Had a great day yesterday not a twinge of heartburn until 14.30 but last night woke up at 3 am with it.
I don't usually have it at night :(
Annoyingly I ate nothing unusual I could identify, no fat. Beans rice and veges, a meal I have cooked loads of times before, so no idea why.

I read that cinnamon can trigger reflux, so stopped having that on my pressure cooked whole oats + fruit in the morning.
This is my favourite meal of the day, cooked oats with a tsp of raisins, tbsp of ground flax seeds, frozen blueberries and raspberries and a banana.Mega yum.

My husband is starting to be resentful about no longer having scrambled eggs and the lovely vegetarian tarts etc I used make him.
'so we are never going to have x again' said in a disappointed tone (substitute x for some of his favourite food)
He also does not believe that olive oil or dairy is bad for us, and doesn't believe in experts so no use trying to get him to read or listen to anything. It's a hard road.

Offering to make things for him as part of a meal but not eat it myself also doesn't work, we have always eaten the same food together for 20 years. I am happy with simple food if it helps my health problem. But since he has no health or weight problem there is only the motivation to help me, and that's probably not that motivational in the long haul.

Persevering..for now.

I just can't believe how much food I can eat in this way, and lose weight without even trying. Certain I would put on weight immediately if I started eating 'normally'.

Now 4 weeks on starch solution lost 8 pounds, BMI 23.8.
astirle

Postby astirle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:09 am

Went for a trip away and brought my own food, so was pleased that I stuck to the plan.
Made sure my husband had food with cheese in it, and of course at breakfast he was able to eat eggs and cheese, bread with butter so he was happy.
Last day I made the mistake of having 2 small cups of coffee aaargh how stupid of me (heartburn the rest of the afternoon).

I came across a signature on this forum (can't remember whose) that says something like 'I must learn that I can't eat like other people'!
So true!! Note to self no coffee ever!! ditto red wine but have not had that for 4 months..

Still not seeing great difference in the reflux yet 4 weeks on starch solution program.
Loving the food and weight loss though :)

I definitely get relief from appple cider vinegar, yet there is apparently no basis known for this and it's unknown to doctors..
I found this article interesting.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checku ... rn_cu.html
astirle

Postby astirle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 am

Doing a bit better this week.
Still that horrible feeling of pressure in my chest after eating, but I notice that the weird trouble swallowing I used to get from 2pm on has reduced a LOT. Almost gone.

Crossing my fingers that the heartburn will reduce sometime as well.
Felt that it should be more improved after nearly 5 weeks being strict and only falling off the wagon once the whole time (with coffee) ..oh well.
astirle

Postby astirle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:46 am

6 weeks now on starch solution, this week no improvement despite sticking to plan.
May need to go back to medication of some sort, after I have the endoscopy in a few weeks.
astirle

Postby astirle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 am

Bit of a breakthrough this week, anne57 made a comment about apple cider vinegar and low stomach acid.
I googled around this and I think there may be something in it as my symptoms seem to agree with those of low stomach acid.
I particularly have trouble after eating high protein meals (bean soup, bean casseroles).
I started taking an enzyme tablet with meals. This definitely helps!
Although I still get the heartburn chest sensation a little each day the strange swallowing problem is almost gone now.
Major development, since I have been on the program for 6 weeks and feel like I'm struggling alone with this darned thing.
astirle

Postby astirle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am

Almost 8 weeks on the starch solution.

Following the comment by Anne57 I started taking enzyme tablets with meals especially high protein ones.
Recommended for low stomach acid.
This has really helped. I also drink rejuvelac - a home made probiotic from sprouted wheat (1 glass a day)

I actually had 2 days this week with no heartburn AT ALL, only the voice and throat symptoms.
Which I suppose means that I am still having reflux but the oesophagus isn't bothered by it? No idea.
I have rosacea which has started to recede quite a bit I recently noticed. It would be just great if that went away!

About to do 2 weeks of travelling including to friends, which will test me A LOT.
It's fine for me to eat very simple things but the problem is all the comments from everyone else, and the assumption that I am not enjoying myself because I'm not eating what they are eating. Whereas I'm actually fine with it!
astirle

Postby astirle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:47 am

Week 11 of the Starch solution..I just had 2 days with NO heartburn! Woohoo.

I can't believe it really as I had lost hope a bit and been lax with the diet while travelling last week.
Still vegan but not so strict - and had a small guinness and glass of wine (well, I was in Ireland after all :)
Back home now and strictly on the plan.

Feeling hopeful :-)
astirle

Postby astirle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:11 am

I almost feel I can't write this in case I spook myself or something but..
I just had 3 days straight NO HEARTBURN!!
That's right no heartburn, no trouble swallowing, no icky throat, no hoarse voice.
Don't even need to drink my tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water - my go-to remedy.
I just can't believe it, everything I read (googled the subject ad nauseum) said that this is a progressive problem and will only get worse.
I am just ecstatic I had 2 days NOT EVEN THINKING about it because the daily reminder just wasn't there.
There just aren't enough exclamation marks or emoji's for the happiness I feel.
Thanking my lucky stars and Dr McDougall and this site. Praying that this is not just a fluke actually :)
Am seeing my doctor tomorrow, I expected to be scheduling an endoscopy but I think I may be telling her about the starch solution instead ;-)

Not lost any more weight because I have been eating as much as I like but I DON'T PUT ANY WEIGHT ON even when I feel like I have actually stuffed myself. I feel like I discovered an amazing secret after all my years of weighing myself and knowing that if I indulged in anything sweet I'd see the pounds pile on (which was actually something full of fat, and was the real reason I now realise).

So glad I stuck with it for the last 12 weeks, as I was so disheartened not to see a result in the first 2 months.
I think that raising the bed 4" as Dr McDougall suggests definitely helped. Hubby was not too impressed at the suggestion but I worked on him :)

Already gave a work colleague a 'talking to'. She said she was finding the low carb diet hard - I said darling have I the solution for you - the STARCH solution LOL.

Now 12 weeks on starch solution lost 10 pounds, BMI 23.5. Reckon I will lose more - just by eating my beloved beans and potatoes :)
astirle

Postby sirdle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 am

astirle wrote:I almost feel I can't write this in case I spook myself or something but..
I just had 3 days straight NO HEARTBURN!!
That's right no heartburn, no trouble swallowing, no icky throat, no hoarse voice.
Don't even need to drink my tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water - my go-to remedy.
I just can't believe it, everything I read (googled the subject ad nauseum) said that this is a progressive problem and will only get worse.
I am just ecstatic I had 2 days NOT EVEN THINKING about it because the daily reminder just wasn't there.
There just aren't enough exclamation marks or emoji's for the happiness I feel.
Thanking my lucky stars and Dr McDougall and this site. Praying that this is not just a fluke actually :)
Am seeing my doctor tomorrow, I expected to be scheduling an endoscopy but I think I may be telling her about the starch solution instead ;-)

Not lost any more weight because I have been eating as much as I like but I DON'T PUT ANY WEIGHT ON even when I feel like I have actually stuffed myself. I feel like I discovered an amazing secret after all my years of weighing myself and knowing that if I indulged in anything sweet I'd see the pounds pile on (which was actually something full of fat, and was the real reason I now realise).

So glad I stuck with it for the last 12 weeks, as I was so disheartened not to see a result in the first 2 months.
I think that raising the bed 4" as Dr McDougall suggests definitely helped. Hubby was not too impressed at the suggestion but I worked on him :)

Already gave a work colleague a 'talking to'. She said she was finding the low carb diet hard - I said darling have I the solution for you - the STARCH solution LOL.

Now 12 weeks on starch solution lost 10 pounds, BMI 23.5. Reckon I will lose more - just by eating my beloved beans and potatoes :)

Woot!

Those are amazing results. I am so happy for you! Got my fingers crossed that this is not a fluke and you will be able to remain (mostly) free of heartburn.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Timaca » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:28 pm

I will read through your posts more carefully when I am not pressed for time, but I am glad you are finding some relief from your heartburn!

I have struggled with heart burn (and possibly GERD) for a couple of years now. I am underweight and don't eat the typical trigger foods...but it is there none the less. :(

I've been taking some Manuka honey lately, and at first that seemed to improve the situation....but now it is back. :(

Pulling for both of us. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone!!!!!
Timaca

Postby astirle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Thank you for reading sirdle and timaca!
Thanks for your thoughts too, fingers crossed this is not just a brief period of relief.
I have absolutely no intention of changing from this diet now, as you can imagine!
I'll be continuing to make a pig of myself on occasion on brandnewvegan's oven fries..how I love these..and my whole oat groat breakfast..
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWoraeoPrSAhWHk5QKHRVCArwQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brandnewvegan.com%2Frecipes%2Fcrispy-oven-baked-fat-free-french-fries&usg=AFQjCNF3_kAO1ynrvVoT8i3ehdrrSGyfRw
astirle

Postby Timaca » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:47 pm

I read through all your posts (finally got the time to actually respond) and I am happy that you are seeing improvements. Are you still taking the digestive enzymes? And your homemade rejuvelac?

I've not taken any digestive enzymes. Nor have I tried the apple cider vinegar, although I have some in my cabinet. I did buy some fermented beets and cabbage at the store yesterday and will try a small amount of that tomorrow.

I found that eating a salad a day with several raw vegies, has been helpful....but then the heartburn seems to return. Ditto for the Manuka Honey....seems helpful at first, then it comes back. :( I can't eat wheat or I would consider trying your rejuvelac. How do you make it?

Wishing you continued success!!! :) And improvement for me too!!!
Timaca

Postby Timaca » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 pm

oh and we are similar in that I have rosacea too......
Timaca

Postby astirle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 am

Rejuvelac is dead easy to make, wheat is the fastest but you can make it with most grains - I have made it with barley or oats as long as they are organic. It contains lactobacillus naturally, of course you can buy tablets etc and they have specific bacteria and they state how many gazillion there are per tablet! but this is an easy cheap way to consume healthy gut bacteria.
here's one way to make it but google and you will find loads including youtube videos.
http://rawmazing.com/recipe/rejuvelac/
I drink a glass at breakfast time first thing, I try to drink a litre of water I eat before breakfast.

Along with raising the head of the bed this has helped me I believe. It certainly does no harm.
I cannot drink alcohol or anything with chocolate cocoa or cacao without an effect.
I did find that a teaspoon of the cloudy type apple cider vinegar in a glass of water helped with heartburn attacks. I didn't want to take any kind of medicine.

Goodness...that rosacea is a weird one isn't it.
I have yet to figure out what really causes the flare ups.
Good luck to you to my symptom twin :)
astirle

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals