"Simple, Sound and Sensible Living" Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: "Simple, Sound and Sensible Living" Journal

Postby Anna Green » Fri May 19, 2017 9:08 am

I don't know in what universe 80% wouldn't help you. I can see his point from my pov which is someone who has failed the 100% over and over. I have been having regular plan food with some nuts and avo and feel pretty peaceful about that. I know I'll veer into more mwl stuff but I want it to be less of a struggle.

I'm glad you are doing this. That sugar of yours worries me too. Let's make a pact. No matter what we do we keep coming back for support. You'll never get judgment from me or kk or boots or RAS and others I'm sure. We got you. I just want your wonderful self to be around and all healthy and stuff. :)
Anna Green

Postby kirstykay » Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Okay, Anna! Thanks. It's a deal. I do tend to hide when things aren't going well. I promise not to hide. I agree with you. This trying to be perfect is part of what has been wearing me down. I am doing much better with this new focus. I've talked myself out of some bad choices just by thinking, "starch, starch, starch, fruit, salad, exercise." Surprisingly, I could find something to satisfy me. I do get tired of salad, though. I consider vegetable soup to be interchangeable with salad. And beans fall in the starch category. This has calmed my brain down.

I am back home for a wedding this weekend. Staying with my mom. I brought soup and salad and now I need to go shopping for more food because I have no idea what will be served tonight or tomorrow at the wedding. I will pre-eat. I am not worried.

Starch :)
Fruit :)
Salad :)
Exercise :-(
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby sksamboots » Sun May 21, 2017 7:45 pm

KK, I love love love the starch starch list! Great job of prepping and planning for your weekend. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby kirstykay » Sun May 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Weekend success! We pre-ate for the party on saturday night, and its a good thing! There were some fresh veggies, but that's about it. I wasn't hingry, so it was easy to stay away from the food table. Drank water and connected with people and it was great. The wedding was a taco bar. It was jeld at a fancy Mexican restaurant where the bride and groom work. ...Not much there. There was meat or cheese in everything except some beans and rice. But that was great! We filled up on that and drank seltzer water with lime. I wanted a margarita, but dh and I made a pact not to drink. I wanted to, but once I set my mind ti it, it wasn't hard to stay strong. Turns out no one cares if you don't drink at a wedding. Who knew! It wasn't a perfect food weekend, but I'm giving myself a 90% for this one. No exercise, but otherwise I'm proud of my choices.

Salad :-(
Exercise :-(

kirstykay

Postby sksamboots » Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 pm

90%is awesome!!!! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby kirstykay » Tue May 23, 2017 12:42 am

Batch cooking went really well today! I took pictures of everything I made, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to easily post pictures. I wish it was as easy as facebook. Oh well... Edited to add pics-Thanks Boots!!

I made: Potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, rice, vegetable bean soup, and Veggie Stir Fry. I was going to make Layered Mexican pie, and Chickpea Spinach burgers, but I felt like that was enough for now. I don't want to make more food than we can eat, and my dh is out of town until Friday. But my son is here, and he appreciated the food. We had such a nice time tonight. We had dinner and then started talking and he really opened up to me about his life and his thoughts about school and his girlfriend, and his future plans, and I was just so grateful to have that time with him. It's rare that he talks like that. It was really special. And I really think this is the last summer he'll spend with us, so this time is especially precious to me.

I didn't have any desire to binge. I know it had a lot to do with my son being here, but also cooking the good food. It was a good day.

Fruit :(
Exercise :(
Last edited by kirstykay on Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

kirstykay

Postby sksamboots » Tue May 23, 2017 9:05 am

Yay for the good food and on batch cooking! I love when I can have an open connection with someone. Keep that love coming!! :nod:

On loading pictures on here. I use a site called

tinypic.com and upload my pictures on there and then I copy the URL for message boards and post it on here. It's not that hard but does take an extra step!
sksamboots

Postby kirstykay » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks Boots! I editied my post to add pics. I made a collage and saved it on my phone and that way I only had to add one picture!
I feel like cooking more today, so I'll add the pics of what I make! I'm feeling positive and motivated and ready to DO THIS!!!!!. I think my new approach is working. Thanks Doug Lisle! :nod:

kirstykay

Postby Anna Green » Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Kirsty, yummy pics! It's always good to have a fridge full of food. Makes it easier to turn down the crud. What did you put on those brussel sprouts?

Your boy sounds like a sweetheart. I know what you mean about those moments. Have to hang tight to them.
Anna Green

Postby kirstykay » Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks, Anna! He really is. He's introverted and only likes to talk when he feels like it, so I am always so grateful to get insight into his life. It's hard having him away at school because he never talks on skype...not like this, anyway. I can't even describe what it feels like to have him "home" this summer. I know he chose to be here to spend time with his dad and me, because this isn't his home...we moved last summer and he didn't move with us, but stayed at my mom's to be close to his friends. I've had such a hard time feeling like this is home without my kids ever having lived here. I was completely unprepared for how lonely my empty nest would feel. So, I can't even describe what it means to me to have him here. It will only be for June and July and then he's going to spend with girlfriend's family in Colorado, and he's already planning on moving there when he graduates. So this really may be the last summer with him under our roof. I am cherishing every moment.

I woke up this morning feeling like... F*@!% IT! I am just going to DO this and stop being such a little cry baby..."WAH WAH WAH!! This is sooo hard"... "I'm so broken".... "This isn't fair"...blah, blah, blah...

BULLS%*!@&!T

It felt kinda good to be mad at the right thing for a change and to just decide that I'm done being stupid.

So, today was a good food day. not perfect (the pizza isn't MWL and has oil because I didn't make it), but pretty damn good:
Before work: Skillet potatoes with Spinach Saute
After work: Big salad (Diced an apple in it for my fruit today) and left over veggie supreme pizza (no cheese, obvs)

One thing I really like about working is that I hardly think about food while I'm there. I'm too busy. I only work 4 or 5 hour days, so I don't have to worry about bringing food to work. I eat before I go, and when I get home. I kinda like eating twice a day. Not saying that's my new thing or anything, but I'm liking it for now.

My fbs is still too high, 288 this morning. Woke up and did my elliptical for 60 min this morning. Working on making that my regular thing. I thought I'd exercise more tonight (like a walk or something), but I felt wiped out when I get home. I know, I know, I'm a big wimpy baby. I imagine I'll get used to it and get more energy, but it may to take some time. It's barely 9:30 and I'm going to bed.

Starch :(
Exercise :)

Hubby comes home tomorrow. No binge this time...major victory! Good night. Hope everyone is good. Glad we're in this together.

kirstykay

Postby sksamboots » Thu May 25, 2017 10:31 am

Kristy! You are doing good! I think you are being a bit hard on yourself---relax. Breathe. It's not about perfection. Dr. Lisle says 80% not perfection. Your food looks so yummy!! I want you to come and cook for me. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby kkrichar » Thu May 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Hey Kirsty! Love your posts as always. Glad you get to spend some time with your son this summer. What a gift.

I'm short on time today but wanted to stop by and say hi. Glad you're still here!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks Boots! I think you're right. BTW...I'd totally come cook for you LOL!!!

Kelly! Nice to see you here! Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I'm still here too. Not exactly without any bumps and bruises, but hanging in!

Good day today! Feeling that resolve that's been missing. Staying away from Starbucks - WIN! Getting my starches and more veggies than I was, so feeling pretty good. Hopefully I can continue to string some good days together and gain some momentum.

Getting into the rhythm of hopping on my elliptical every morning when I wake up. This could actually become a habit. REALLY happy today that my fbs numbers seem to be responding to my new routine. I test my blood upon waking and then again after the elliptical. Today I was 244 and 197. It was great to see the 100s again. Gives me hope.

Salad :(
Exercise :)

Food Today

kirstykay

Postby sksamboots » Thu May 25, 2017 9:09 pm

KK,

Starbucks is my evil evil place too. I have to stay away like the plague and keep telling myself it just causes cancer :nod:
You food look fantastic!
sksamboots

Postby kirstykay » Fri May 26, 2017 11:03 pm

I love that, Boots! Just think "that place causes cancer" every time I pass a Starbucks. I have to admit, I drove thru one today and ordered my favorite thing. They were out of it!!! I felt like God was giving me a second chance to make a better choice, so I said nevermind and drove away. It was a near miss!!! :eek:

I had a pretty good day. Not enough veggies. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat 2 pounds of vegetables a day like chef aj says we should. I understand that it is a key to weight loss. She said that Dr. Goldhammer said "show me someone who has trouble losing weight and I'll show you someone who won't eat their vegetables." BUT...that being said, I'm doing very well with my starch targets and my exercise, so I'm feeling good.

starch :)
fruit :)
salad :(
exercise :)

kirstykay

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals