Double Rainbow's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Double Rainbow's Journal

Postby DoubleRainbow » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 am

Welcome to those interested in following my progress, and perhaps offering me your advice, support and/or guidance. I am keeping this journal as a way to motivate myself, hold myself accountable, and make this process as interesting and fun as possible. Maybe this journal will be helpful to someone else too, which would be great!

About me:

I am a thirty-nine-year-old woman. Married with two lovely children, and living in the Great White North.

I have been a vegetarian for 14 years, and 97% plant-based for the past 5 or so. Yet, I am overweight. Not drastically so, but I could certainly benefit from losing 15 lbs. at 5’9” and 150 lbs. I walk about 1 - 1 1/2 hours 4 times per week. As I start to feel more energetic, I would like to exercise more. I am going for a physical next week, so I will have actual numbers like blood pressure and whatnot to put up. The only medication I take is for hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's, something that was diagnosed when I was 20, and has a genetic component. Fortunately, it appears to be under control.

A couple of years ago a doctor confirm something I had always suspected - that I have ADHD. It explained a lot! :D It has been a helpful diagnosis overall because I finally understand myself and I have found, and continue to find, ways to better navigate my life. The thing is, ADHD actually interferes with my healthy eating more than one would think because I struggle with routine, being impulsive, and staying interested and motivated when making changes in my life. My M.O. is to become extremely excited about something, talk about nothing else for a while (driving everyone around me crazy) only to struggle to keep my focus and energy there, finally getting distracted and abandoning it completely. Then comes a visit from my old friends, guilt and anxiety. I know this is a cycle even non-ADHD people are familiar with. I should also mention that my ADHD is unmedicated, and I plan to keep it that way. I do hope that diet will have a positive impact on my symptoms. Habit is something I need to develop when it comes to food, plus generate some ideas to deal with situations where I might otherwise be impulsive.

Having tried again and again to make this commitment stick, only to find myself bingeing on off-plan junk foods, I have consequently lost faith in myself. I do hope to regain that faith along the way. So, my first baby step forward and toward success is signing up to this forum.
DoubleRainbow

Re: Double Rainbow's Journal

Postby DoubleRainbow » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:19 pm

So, I am analyzing my habits honestly (not easy to do) to discover where the problem is. I am asking myself the following questions: Why am I overweight? How often do I eat junk food? Do I overeat? Do I eat too late? In other words, where are these excess calories coming from?

Our cupboards are filled with beans, grains, lentils, potatoes. I have an Instant Pot, Yonanas machine, and a Blendtec. I even have a dehydrator from my raw foodism days. Our refrigerator/freezer is filled with oil-free whole grain bread, veggies, fruit. We buy non-dairy milk, and I drink water and herbal teas (with a Zevia soda once or twice a week). We do not cook with oil. I make my own salad dressing. Snack on air popped popcorn. We do not keep treats around, though my daughter and husband love to bake (vegan, oil free, again). Within the house, I am doing pretty well.

Here is where I think the problem is… Sometimes, naughty treats come home and I feel obliged to eat them (not that I resist very hard, I have a major sweet tooth). We eat out at fast food places occasionally. I go to people’s homes and feel rude turning down food. My husband, generally a very loving and supportive person, disapproves of me "making things difficult for people” by having too many limitations. He views that as inflexible and selfish. I know I shouldn’t let his opinions stop me from eating what I want to eat, that is ultimately my responsibility, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t effect me. He thinks that we are already being enough of a pain in the butt by being vegetarian (although that is pretty acceptable within his family since there are 7 of us and vegetarians outnumber meat-eaters), and I shouldn't add vegan to that, let alone oil-free, plant-based. I should note, that I always try to bring food with me when we visit people and do not expect people to cook special food for me. I am quite happy just eating something I’ve prepared.

Food and people - I find that whole thing quite stressful and difficult to navigate. I don’t like to disappoint or offend. I have said many times, “Forget sex, religion, or politics, the thing you shouldn’t talk about is food!” I think my choice to eat more cleanly threatens my husband, he thinks about all the fun, food-related things we won’t be able to do together with our kids. Then I feel guilty. According to him, life is no fun without a little ice-cream, chips, or cake. He was so upset one year when I said I didn’t want to eat his birthday cake unless it was a healthy recipe. He thinks we are already doing enough by eating well most of the time, and that it is imbalanced and inflexible not to be able to eat some treats. “Moderation” he always says. He points out how well we eat compared to most people we know. (I should mention, not to be mean, he is overweight). My dietary choices feel like a judgement to him, and as though I am taking things away from our family. I do love my husband, of course, and I want him to be happy. I want them all to be happy. I don’t blame him for perhaps losing patience with me because we have been down this road so many times, only to have me give in and eat junk food again. I know that if I said, “This is what I am doing” he would accept it. Maybe that is good enough?
DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:54 am

I have thought a lot about what I wrote yesterday. My conclusion? I am not taking enough responsibility for what goes into my own mouth.

Yes, some people (like my husband) may not be completely happy with the food choices I make. And it might threaten or annoy them. That is okay as it is not my intention to harm anyone. They have a right to their feelings, and I have a right to my choices. This is not their body, their health, or their life. It isn’t them getting depressed in the changing room, while trying on pants. Besides, I am not trying to force this on anyone. It is my health that will ultimately suffer and using others as an excuse is giving my power away. I’m going to have to be seen as less fun for a while or a bit selfish, until results are so obvious that other people understand, take me seriously, and finally get used to it. Maybe we will also find that life is just as fun without the junky foods. Gosh, this journalling stuff is helpful!

I have also realized that I should be more thankful for all the support my husband has given me in the past. After all, It was my idea to become vegetarian, and he joined me. It was my idea to become vegan and rid our house of some of his favourite things (cheese and eggs), and he and our children joined me. He even stopped using oil on the pans when he makes pancakes (this was BIG :lol: ). Not everyone has that, I know. I know often only one partner pursues this way of eating, and they can still have an awesome relationship. My husband doesn't have to agree with me, and I know he would never deliberately try to stop me if he thought this made me happy. Who knows, maybe he'll decide to join me in this too... or maybe not. He already does a lot of things to take care of his health - and I am thankful for that too. Anyway, a little reframing of the situation makes me feel better.

My food yesterday:

Oatmeal with berries and rice milk
Grapefruit
Green salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette and chickpeas
Rice, steamed potatoes, black beans
Apple
Roasted pumpkin seeds, oil free (with maple syrup and salt)

Today is Halloween and I have decided to try my best not to eat ANY candy.
DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:07 am

Halloween was a success. No candy at all! I'm pretty proud of myself, actually.

Yesterday's food log:

Oatmeal with berries
Apple
Potatoes
Rice
Banana
Toasted dry bagel (<--wouldn't normally eat this)
Raw carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli with salsa
Herbal tea

I went for a physical today, and unfortunately encountered a very unprofessional, uniformed nurse practitioner. She was incredibly judgemental about me (and my children) being vegan. She laughed at me actually, like it was ridiculous. I kept slowly turning red, but like a good Canadian, I was polite. LOL She kept asking me questions about how it negatively impacts my children's happiness and whether it stops them from fitting in. She was trying to push me very insistently to begin taking Vitamin D and calcium supplements. I will have to look up Dr. McDougall's recommendations about those supplements.

My blood/urine results will take a while to get back, but my blood pressure was 98/60 and my weight was 153 lbs. I don't know much about interpreting blood pressure results, but she said it was normal. My weight was a tad higher than I was expecting, but pretty close to my home scale numbers.
Double Rainbow

"Be a fruit loop in a world of cheerios"
DoubleRainbow

Postby Lasko77 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Double Rainbow!

I can relate a lot to your posts. I have ADHD too and I am incredibly impulsive and I don't react well to rules or people telling me what to do. That's why diet plans don't work well for me.

I am rooting for you, girl! And I will follow your success. I may re-open my journal too as I need to lose about 20 lbs. I am afraid to because I know how rebellious I can get if I put rules and restrictions on myself.

I also relate a lot to what you said about your husband. My husband eats my vegan meals all week long and enjoys them, a little bit. He starts getting super annoyed with me when I start removing the oil. He thinks that is just going to far. I have been trying to be oil free for 10 years now and no matter what I go back.

L
Lasko77

Postby DoubleRainbow » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:29 am

Hi, Lasko77! Thanks for your kind and supportive words. It is so great to meet someone who can relate to my ADHD/diet difficulties and also has a husband that is mostly on-board and supportive (but resists some aspects). If you do end up re-starting your journal, let me know, and I will follow your progress as well. :) I know exactly what you mean about rebelling against rules and restrictions. Even the ones I've made myself. I am hoping that the answer is to hold out long enough to make it a habit and more automatic. I can be incredibly stubborn and incredibly obsessive so that may be helpful in this. lol I just hope I don't exhaust myself trying to stay focused on one thing (does that happen to you?).
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:40 am

Food-wise, I did well yesterday! I had to fast for my blood work, so I didn't have my regular breakfast. I was very grumpy for some of the day because of the awful experience with the rude nurse. That would normally have me comforting myself with food. Plus the children had a ton of Halloween candy covering the entire surface of the dining room table. I wasn't tempted and I didn't "eat my feelings". Progress.

Banana
Potatoes
Corn on the cob
Black Bean soup (I'll share my recipe)
Oil-free oven baked French Fries
Air popped popcorn
Herbal Tea
Perrier water/grapefruit flavoured (my first time trying this, replacing my regular Zevia soda)

I was very full and satisfied at the end of the day. I slept incredibly well too.
Last edited by DoubleRainbow on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:57 am

I have made this recipe for years and my family absolutely loves it.

Double Rainbow's Black Bean Soup

1st List
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
4 cups water (when I cook in Instant Pot I reduce this to 3 cups)
* optional vegetable bouillon cube
1 cup frozen corn
*optional hot sauce

Take first list of ingredients and simmer for 25 minutes in pot. If using the Instant Pot reduce this number to 15 minutes, high pressure - letting pressure come down naturally. When vegetables are softened, add canned tomatoes and half of the black beans. Blend soup with an immersion blender. Add the remaining black beans and corn. Let it heat until the corn is thawed. Add optional hot sauce if desired.
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 am

I felt a bit hungrier yesterday, so I simply ate a bit more. I can tell that weight is coming off, though I know it is still early days yet. My kids fancy they can tell a difference already, which makes me feel good. My husband, of course, said I am always beautiful to him so it doesn't matter. See, I told you he is a good guy. :D

I will try today to eat more salad today, I think. One thing I have not been eating recently are green smoothies. I used to have them every single day, but I have read multiple times that it is not recommended. I'm not sure I really understand the reasoning. I may return to them, or at least have them periodically, I don't know. Mine are made with a base of 2 cups of water, and contain a banana or two, a ton of greens (kale or spinach), 1 TBSP of flaxseed, and frozen berries. I am usually full until lunch with this, particularly because it takes me so long to drink it. For now, I will stick to oatmeal for breakfast, which I also like, and see how it goes.

Yesterday's meals:
Oatmeal with berries
Potatoes
Green Salad with oil-free dressing (one of Chef A.J.s actually)
Corn on the Cob
Rice
Chickpeas
Apples
Sparkling Water, Herbal Tea

Also, I walked for 1 1/2 hours. Lots of hills!
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby Franchesca_S. » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:37 am

Double Rainbow,
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with that nurse. I've been very lucky since going plant based two years ago. I've had a few different doctors and when I tell them they pause, act surprised, then tell me what a good decision this is and what health benefits I can expect.

Your meals sound delicious, keep up the good work.

Franchesca
Franchesca_S.

Postby DoubleRainbow » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks, Franchesca! It is encouraging to know that there are doctors out there who are aware of the benefits of a plant-based diet. I was very surprised to have gotten such a negative reception. I don't plan to return to this particular nurse, that's for sure. Thanks for your kind words!
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:40 am

Yesterday's food:

Oatmeal with berries
Apple
Clementine
2 big bowls of The Fatfree Vegan's Black and Red Lentil Chili http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/03/black-and-red-lentil-chili.html
Big Salad
Potato
Rice
Green Peas
Sparkling water, herbal tea

My husband and kids decided they wanted to eat out at Mucho Burrito. I decided I didn't want to, which made my husband feel upset, and made me feel that familiar pressure. He kept trying to come up with alternatives for things I could eat there, concerned I wasn't going to join them. He thinks he's being nice, but it is so unhelpful to me. I decided it was a good opportunity to show how serious I am about sticking with this, and I was very matter-of-fact about my decision. He accepted it, eventually. He also seems to be trying harder to be supportive, so he offered to buy me a salad at a grocery store while we were out. I opted instead to eat food I'd prepared at home, but I think it was a pretty good experience. I'm hoping to find a way to eat while out, since that is one area that tends to trip me up. It seems hard to find acceptable options.

I didn't walk for as long yesterday, only about an hour. Still, it was an active day with lots of walking around.
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:20 am

A good day for food. I really enjoyed what I ate! It seems a good practice to have a lot of potatoes pre-cooked and waiting in the refrigerator.

Yesterday's food:

Oatmeal with berries
Huge salad
Potatoes
FatFree Vegan's Rainy Day Lentil Soup http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/02/rainy-day-lentil-soup.html
Pomegranate
Perrier Sparkling Water
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:48 am

A pretty good day yesterday, I think, even though we were out for part of it and there were temptations aplenty. I stuck to my vision of how I want to eat, and felt good about my reasons for doing it. I think now, in retrospect, that one of the factors that had me "failing" (aka supplied teaching opportunities) in the past is the fact that I felt more than a little sorry for myself eating differently than those around me. I think that is a very destructive way of looking at things, and one that almost guaranteed I would cave in and eat the foods I was avoiding. Now I am actively trying to switch my focus to loving how I eat, and how it makes me feel, look, etc. all while looking away from how those around me eat (since that creates judgement and envy in me, and there is nothing I can reasonably do to change them). In other words, I am cultivating a healthier mindset while I cultivate a healthier diet!

So my very good reasons for eating this healthy,(junk-free) starch-based diet:

- it is delicious
    - I feel satisfied when I eat it
    - my mood and sleep are so much better!
    - my skin looks even better
    - my future health is being protected
    - my weight will naturally lower
    - trying on clothing will be so much more fun
    - I've heard some people have had their hair stop greying, and that would be awesome lol
    - I can prove to myself that I can do it
    - I am a better example for my children
Plus, let's not forget...

- it is the best WOE in the world, coincides with my belief system, and has huge benefits for planet Earth and our fellow creatures (the entire reason I became vegetarian in the first place)

I think that more than makes up for the occasional inconvenience, or cravings. :-D

Yesterday's food:
- Leftover Rainy Day Lentil soup
- Green salad with chickpeas
- Oatmeal with berries
- Corn Thins (found these at a health food store yesterday), I chose an oil-free type
- Brown Rice
- Potatoes
- Popcorn (air popped)
- Herbal Tea, sparkling water, water
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Postby DoubleRainbow » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:29 pm

I actually have a moment tonight to record my food intake. I feel like I ate a lot of food today! I feel quite full and satisfied. I'm a little worried that I am eating too much, but I guess time will tell.

Today:

- Oatmeal with berries
- Red cabbage, sweet potato, potato (used some hot sauce. delish!)
- Corn thins
- Apple
- French fries, Black Bean Burgers (I think a Happy Herbivore recipe?) on brown rice (used ketchup)
- Yonanas (bananas, cherries, raspberries)
- Sparkling water, herbal tea, water
Double Rainbow

DoubleRainbow

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals