~Walk It Off~

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

~Walk It Off~

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm

I am starting a new journal for exercise. I still haven't conquered this part of my life. It hurts so much and I have been sedentary for so long that I have 100 excuses and 100 aches and pains when I attempt it.

Time to push past the excuses and make it happen. I have bounced around with exercise videos, exercise equipment which my husband always lovingly refers to as "giant paper weights" :\ and things like swimming and walking. Nothing consistent at all.

I typically get huge bursts of "I'm going to do this" and I overdo it or I just can't handle the pain in my body and I stop doing it. My body is not used to physical activity. I can handle short walks... trips to the grocery store or other shopping, trips to the library, etc. But I would say that 15 - 20 minutes is my limit. Then I have to rest.

In the beginning stages of my renal failure it was due to my severe anemia. I still have that to some degree, but now it is more of an issue with my body not being used to moving. My muscles are just not what they used to be at all.

Time to remedy this. I am going to log the good, the bad and the ugly here so I can get past this hurdle. My plan ~ I don't have one. I am just going to walk each day as much as I possible can. I am not going to set any goals yet because I don't even know what is logical. I am just going to see what I can do. I am going to try not to overdo it until I build up a little bit of strength.

I have a little step calculator. I think it might be good to attach it to my pocket every day to see where I am starting and where I end up. :) Here goes...
Last edited by Pacificfords on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Re: ~Walk It Off~

Postby nicoles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi Debbie, I know what you mean about exercise hurting! Do you have access to a pool to an exercise bike? those two are the only types of exercise I can really do without pain, and I have even come to sort of enjoy the swimming, at least.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:11 pm

nicoles wrote:Hi Debbie, I know what you mean about exercise hurting! Do you have access to a pool to an exercise bike? those two are the only types of exercise I can really do without pain, and I have even come to sort of enjoy the swimming, at least.

No. I used to have access, but we moved, so I don't anymore. I really only have walking now. I will just have to push past the pain and make it work. I enjoy walking, so that isn't the issue, it really is just the pain. I guess that is where the saying "no pain, no gain" came from! :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby nicoles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Pacificfords wrote:No. I used to have access, but we moved, so I don't anymore. I really only have walking now. I will just have to push past the pain and make it work. I enjoy walking, so that isn't the issue, it really is just the pain. I guess that is where the saying "no pain, no gain" came from! :)

That is a great attitude! I can learn from you :)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby sharonbikes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:36 pm

My best advice about exercise is to find something you find fun to do so it is "fun" and not "exercise." Would finding a class or an exercise buddy help -- sometimes having an "appointment" with someone else helps with the motivation.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 pm

sharonbikes wrote:My best advice about exercise is to find something you find fun to do so it is "fun" and not "exercise." Would finding a class or an exercise buddy help -- sometimes having an "appointment" with someone else helps with the motivation.

Sharon

Well, honestly Sharon, I don't find any exercise fun yet. I know that might change in time. Movement is just hard for me on every level. I am not unable to move, just not used to much movement for the past two years. I have considered joining a gym when finances are better, so that is definitely something I am keeping as an option. I also think it would be fun to have an exercise buddy, but we just moved here and I have no idea how I would find someone. I'll have to give that some thought. Maybe I will meet someone while I am out walking. :) Thank you for the great suggestions.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Katydid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 pm

A couple of suggestions.

If you don't have one, get yourself an iPod. There are many great podcasts and audiobooks available on iTunes, including whole university courses on iTunes U. When I'm listening to a great lecture or podcast I will often exercise for an extra 5 or 10 minutes just to finish out a program. And I'm getting a great free education at the same time. Dr. McDougall's old radio shows are a great place to start.

Get yourself a good hiking stick. It can make a big difference. I find I can walk twice as far with a good walking stick, and you get a little extra upper body workout, too.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby scooterpie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:24 pm

You might check your local PBS station for Sit and Be Fit. They may have DVDs too.
scooterpie

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Katydid wrote:A couple of suggestions.

If you don't have one, get yourself an iPod. There are many great podcasts and audiobooks available on iTunes, including whole university courses on iTunes U. When I'm listening to a great lecture or podcast I will often exercise for an extra 5 or 10 minutes just to finish out a program. And I'm getting a great free education at the same time. Dr. McDougall's old radio shows are a great place to start.

Get yourself a good hiking stick. It can make a big difference. I find I can walk twice as far with a good walking stick, and you get a little extra upper body workout, too.

Kate

Thanks so much Kate. I love both suggestions. I never thought about walking with a stick. That might make things a bit easier. I know I can walk much longer in the grocery store when I have a cart to push around. :) I have an mp3 player. I will have to make that work for now.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

scooterpie wrote:You might check your local PBS station for Sit and Be Fit. They may have DVDs too.

Oh wow... I have seen that cute little woman about a million times as I flip channels and I always think "how wonderful is that for older people." Would you believe I never even thought to do it. That would be a great options for building up some stamina! Thanks so much!! ;)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Rosey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 pm

You can do it. when I started out trying to exercise I couldn't walk more then 3 min at time now I'm walking hours at a time. I just had to build up to it slowly. Same with my biking I worked up to the mileage I'm doing now.
Rosey

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Thank you for the encouragement Rosey. :)

We drove to a trail today that is right along a beautiful river. It really was an easy trail. I ended up being able to do about a mile. I probably could have pushed myself farther, but I didn't want to get overzealous like other times and end up in so much pain that I didn't want to do it again.

Interestingly enough, while walking, I experienced many different aches and pains that would come and go. I guess the good part is that my muscles are being forced into action... and the other good part is that the pain didn't last long before it moved to another part of my body. I kind of found it humorous at times to see how many different spots hurt, but not at the same time (thank goodness). :) But... I did it. It took me about 20 minutes to walk a mile.

I did put my pedometer on this morning and so far it is 2:00 and I have only walked 2500 steps, the majority of those at the trail. So I know I really need to get that number up.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby sharonbikes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Just keep at it and it will get easier! You might also look around for a good yoga class- around here I would look for a class called "gentle yoga" that is designed for folks who have been sedentary for a while or who have movement issues. I love yoga and am always amazed at how something that feels like I am just sitting there really increases my flexibility and makes me feel better. Might be a good way to get your body used to moving again and be a fun supplement to walking.

Good job on the walk on the trail!

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Thank you for the encouragement Sharon. :) I really love the idea of yoga, but I am not able to take a class at this time. I was reading about Kirk and Norm doing a yoga video, so I was thinking I might try to get my hands on that. I would love to be able to do something in my own home. :) Thanks for the great idea.

I did figure out a really simple goal for myself today. Today was pretty average for me moving around. I am close to 3000 steps. I decided that if I can just do better than the day before - that will give me something to measure by and it will motivate me. It isn't really about how much more, just so it is more than the previous day... until I get into a normal range which most say is 10,000 steps a day. I think that will be a good goal. :)

Oh... and tonight... my body hurts and I am totally wiped out. I look forward to this getting easier. I usually give up when there is pain. Tomorrow I will do my best to get those steps in. :) I have come so far and this is a vital next step for me.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 pm

I reached my goal today. The step log at the beginning of this thread is just an estimate. I am rounding down. I did over 3500 steps today, but the exact numbers are not important to me. The only thing important is that I do the same or better than the day before.

Today was tough. I was hurting pretty bad from yesterday, but surprised myself by not babying myself and resting too much. I pushed myself. My son even pushed me a bit. I told him (my eight year old) what I was trying to accomplish and that was a huge motivation because he kept saying... "Mom... you need to get more steps." :D He has fun watching the pedometer. He walked with me tonight so I could get in my last few steps. I didn't want to stop before reaching my goal.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning