MSMLS's McDougall Journal: So Much To Lose, So Much to Gain

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: MSMLS's McDougall Journal: So Much To Lose, So Much to

Postby MSMLS » Tue May 22, 2012 12:59 pm

I started this lifestyle almost one week ago. It's actually been a week and a day now. have I stumbled? perhaps a bit. Have I taken a nose dive off the wagon? Nope. I may have reached my hand down and tried to scoop up some of the passing way of life, but for the most part, I've stuck 100% to the diet as outlined.

I was very frustrated at a lack of weight loss initially. But, it seems to have come around. I'm not losing as fast as I'd like, but that's okay. It's my own fault and I must be patient as my body readjusts and sheds this extra baggage and protection I've created for myself.

I'm sure it's been written before, but I'm living in a caccoon. It's there to protect me from the outside world. As long as I have it, I don't have to face the world as just me. I get to put this barrier up as a reason people treat me the way they might. I have this protection to give me an excuse not to do things I might be uncomfortable with. I am ready to take it off and live life on my own now. I don't need this protectionism anymore.

I've taken to making soup the past few days. Oh, and baked beans... holy moly... I needy some baked beans. I've got a crock pot of the recipe on this site for crockpot baked beans working right now. I hope they're delicious! I'm looking forward to incorporating them into my body!
MSMLS

Postby kkrichar » Tue May 22, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm on day 9 too! I need to check out that baked bean recipe. Thanks for mentioning it. I love baked beans in the summer. You're doing great!!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby Norm » Tue May 22, 2012 3:29 pm

MSMLS wrote:I was very frustrated at a lack of weight loss initially. But, it seems to have come around. I'm not losing as fast as I'd like, but that's okay. It's my own fault and I must be patient as my body readjusts and sheds this extra baggage and protection I've created for myself.
There is so much happening in your life already, please don't worry about weight loss or the absence of it. You are learning a new way of eating. You are saying goodbye to an old way of eating. You are learning to think and do positive things. You are learning to let go of and say goodbye to negative things. That's a lot to keep your mind busy, you don't need the extra burden of having to get instant results. You have to focus on making changes you can live with for the rest of your life. I honestly think that one of the best things I did for myself when I started to change my diet was to not worry at all about weight loss. I knew the loss would come if I could learn to eat healthy, so that is what I focused all my energy on.
MSMLS wrote:I'm sure it's been written before, but I'm living in a caccoon. It's there to protect me from the outside world. As long as I have it, I don't have to face the world as just me. I get to put this barrier up as a reason people treat me the way they might. I have this protection to give me an excuse not to do things I might be uncomfortable with. I am ready to take it off and live life on my own now. I don't need this protectionism anymore.

A butterfly emerges from it's cocoon fairly quickly then moves on with it's life, never needing it again. I think for us it's not such a quick process. We peek out and watch, build up our courage, step out for a brief period, then rush back to safety. It can be a long, slow, and scary process. But wanting to not need that cocoon, wanting to be on the other side of it... that's a first step!!

I'm proud of you!

-Norm
Norm

Postby MSMLS » Thu May 24, 2012 10:36 am

Yesterday afternoon/lunch time, I fixed myself a few onions and mushroom and some of the baked beans I made. I also cooked some apples in red wine and some brown sugar and cinnamon for a treat.

Something I ate hurt my stomach. I spend the rest of the day in gentle stomach cramps and other undesierable effects.

Plus side? I lost 5 lbs yesterday! hahaha

A silver lining to every toilet bowl! lol

Anyhow, I'm still heavy, will be for a while, but I'm coming down, and feel good!
MSMLS

Postby fussit » Fri May 25, 2012 9:45 pm

MSMLS, Your doing great! one day at a time.. Im almost at my 4 week mark, It has been a whirl wind for sure I do great for a day or 2 then someone brings home something i would of eaten on a normal basis! Granted i would take a little of what it is not eat a whole lot of it! I started out wearing 5x womens feeling comfortable not tight not to lose ( I do not weigh) this last monday I put on my 3x shirt and capris and they fit,today I put them on again they are lose!! People are noticing my face...my stomach does not hang as low on my thighs.Im having jiggle issues! so its coming off..I thought I was starving 4 weeks ago but I need to remind myself to eat.I have to eat like this for the rest of my life for sure. I also had high bp...no more also I had high blood sugar numbers they are alot lower..Hang in the there its not a race haha I have to keep reminding myself! oh and I had to make myself walk 5 nins a day out side.I can do about 20 min today..I sleep better,energy,more cofiedent :-D
fussit

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning