Coffee - It is my comfort food -- how to get free

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Coffee - It is my comfort food -- how to get free

Postby Tru » Wed May 02, 2012 11:26 am

Hi,

In recent years I discovered that coffee is my comfort drink - I love it very much. I currently drink it 2-3 x per day with unsweetened almond vanilla milk in it. I mix it with 1/2 organic decaf. coffee...

I also discovered that I crave "bitter" i.e, the coffee, pomegranate black tea, and I love lemon.

How can I get off of this coffee addiction and love? What can I replace it with?

Hopefully knowing that my body wants something warm soothing and bitter will help you help me to figure this out.

Briefly -- how does stopping caffeine help me in this diet? (I don't want to read an entire book about it) thanks much for your help.
Tru

Re: Coffee - It is my comfort food -- how to get free

Postby nicoles » Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 am

Well, you could definitely replace the bitter with eating more greens like Kale and collards. :)

I know for myself that coffee exacerbated my autoimmune disease, and I was a lifelong coffee lover, so stopping was hard.

Offhand, caffeine might raise blood pressure and increase appetite in some people, two things that could impede certain health goals for those on the diet, but not for others.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Kiki » Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Tru. You could try a coffee substitute like Cafix or a strong herbal tea. But, you may find that with time, your desire for bitter decreases as your digestion improves on this diet. I used to love bitter black coffee after heavy meals (using it like a digestive bitter), and now I find I don't need or want it.

Coffee/caffeine can dehydrate; increase cholesterol, blood pressure, and heart rate; be addictive and can cause headaches if your schedule of consumption is interrupted; increase the desire to consume heavy foods as an accompaniment; contribute to bone demineralization; and so on.
Kiki

Postby kirstykay » Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 am

Here is what Dr. McDougall has to say about coffee:

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... coffee.htm

Good luck! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby giddyupgin » Thu May 03, 2012 9:38 am

I got my husband totally off coffee by using Teeccino...

http://teeccino.com/

we used their suggestion of brewing 1/2 coffee and 1/2 teecchino and slowly decreasing the coffee....the last week my husband described sprinkling the coffee as a blessing only...he cannot believe how good he feels off of the caffeine and will never go back...the slow switch led to no headaches and he loves his new drink...you can order at Amazon and it's reasonable...
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby Tru » Thu May 03, 2012 10:21 am

excellent idea on the Teeccino!

Thanks everyone for your help!
Tru

Postby getting healthy » Thu May 03, 2012 11:56 am

Yes, try Teeccino! At my local grocery store, they only carry the Tee Bags. I bought ground Teeccino at iHerb.com
getting healthy

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning