My Last 10 pounds

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Last 10 pounds

Postby woods38 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi all!

I saw that Dr. Mcdougall has a new book coming out next month and I can't wait to read it. I already have it requested at the library and I will be buying my own copy too. Exciting!

I have been going to Weight Watchers since January of this year. I have lost 10% of my starting weight-18 lbs. I have 12 lbs. left to lose. I like the program and have learned how to eat less but I am still eating cheese, drinking beer and eating junk foods like chips and candy. I have not lost any weight in the past month. I don't feel healthier. This morning I woke up feeling sluggish, constipated, depressed and anxious. I just don't feel healthy and I'm sure that my daily cheese consumption is contributing to my constipation. I know that eating oils are harming my arteries. My coffee consumption is making me anxious and contributing to my heart palpitations. I know that my excess alcohol consumption is harming my cells and especially my liver. I went to Weight Watchers after a doctors visit. My BP was a bit high and he suggested I lose weight. I told him that I was a heavy drinker but he didn't say anything about that. I know that I will feel and be much healthier if I get with the program and stop making excuses and putting it off. My brother was just put on high blood pressure medications and I don't want to be next.

So, I am back and I'm gonna give myself another chance at good health.

Today has gone well. I have only had 1 cup of coffee, no alcohol or cheese or junk. I had elbow macaroni with a nutritional yeast sauce and broccoli for brunch. Later I ate mashed potatoes (just mashed with their cooking liquid) and a salad with a few chickpeas. Dinner was homemade bean burgers and baked fries and raw carrot sticks. I'm at home today so it's been easy to prepare tasty meals. Grocery shopping was rushed today so I simplified-just some fresh fruit, potatoes, rice, a few raw and frozen veggies, canned and dried beans and I was out of there without spending too much money. I know that if the junk is not in the house it's less likely that I will eat it.
Time to go get some fruit for dessert.
woods38

Re: My Last 10 pounds

Postby woods38 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:48 am

Yesterday i felt awful but it went well. I took care of myself, took a nap and went to bed early. Feeling better this morning. I'm glad that I resisted those urges to eat cheese and drink beer.

I made something unusual but delicious last night. I blended 1/2 cup of thawed, frozen squash puree, a banana, and 1 Tbl. of cocoa powder and 1 Tbl. of sugar. Blended it together in my food processor and got a mixture that seemed like chocolate pudding to me in texture and taste. It was pretty good. Cool and creamy and sweet.

I think that I will make whole wheat bread today in my bread maker. It's cheaper than buying it at the store and I can control what goes in. I'll use a McDougall recipe and let the machine do the work.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Well, I did make some bread today and it turned out good. I need to be careful not to eat too much because it's more calorie dense and not as filling. I do love toast as my DD noticed and commented on today. :)
I was feeling really tired but then my dh urged me to go with him on a walk and it turned out great. It was a really nice, sunny day and we spent an hour meandering through the woods. We saw waterfalls and just had a great time. I felt so much better afterwards.

I came home and made black bean soup for my husband. I had leftover whole wheat pasta with broccoli and a white bean sauce and an apple for dessert. I feel quite full now.

I'm proud of myself today that I didn't give in to any urges to eat cheese or drink wine. It was offered to me but I declined. Yea for me!
woods38

Postby carollynne » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Congrats!! you are doing great!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby fostermom4 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Congratulations--you are doing great. Keep it up! :nod:
fostermom4

Postby woods38 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks carollynne and fostermom4! I'm gonna try to keep it up.

Yesterday I had a bad day. My morning started off bad. Found out we have a pest problem in our home and I had to deal with it. I'm such an emotional eater that I went straight for the cheese and chips and wine yesterday. I slipped, I got over it and today is a new day.

I hope to have a really good month. Happy May!

Today has been good so far. Sweet potatoes and a banana for breakfast with my dd. What I eat really affects what my family eats because they usually have what I'm having. Lunch is brown rice, zucchini, spinach, whole wheat bread and an apple.

Baked chips and refried beans for a snack later. Busy after work tonight and I'm not sure what if I'll have for dinner. Maybe a potato microwaved and some broccoli. There that will do it.

Have a great day all.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Today I was really hungry! My stomach was growling! That hasn't happened in awhile.
I appeased it with oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, spanish rice and baked corn chips, cracked wheat salad, and tossed salad. I also had an apple, pear, and whole wheat pretzels. Felt good eating the all the food.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 am

I made a lot of delicious food such as double potato soup, veggie burgers and rice with mushrooms and then I got sick and couldn't eat. Oh well, my husband enjoyed the food anyway. So I came home from work early and unpacked my lunch-most of which I didn't touch and my dd commented that I had quite the buffet packed for myself. It's embarrassing but true. I like to pack a lot of food for work which I usually eat. At least I'm feeling better now.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:38 am

I ate off plan food yesterday and woke up those taste buds that love fatty, greasy, salty, and overly sweet food. This is NOT the way to health and weight loss.

Today I have my food planned and am back on plan!

Breakfast: coffee with 2 T. chocolate soymilk and sugar (yeah, I'm not ready to give up my morning cup yet)

Lunch: brown rice with 1/2 cup white beans and 1 1/2 cups frozen veggies, apple

Dinner: large tossed salad with 1/2 c chickpeas and whole wheat bread, banana
woods38

Postby woods38 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:16 pm

My eating fell apart after work yesterday. I ate off plan in a big way. Definitely would call it a binge.

So far so good today.
B-coffee with soymilk and sugar
oatmeal and banana

L-large salad with 1/2 cup chickpeas, 3 1/2 oz. whole wheat bread cut into cubes, pickle, and an apple.

D-stuffed green pepper with bulgur
woods38

Postby woods38 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:23 am

I had a great day yesterday. I ate really well and got lots done around the house.

Today:
B-oatmeal with blueberries, soy milk
L-1/2 c black bean salad, tossed salad, potatoes(2 small), 2 corn tortillas toasted and cut into chips, orange
D-whole wheat spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, broccoli

Going to stick to 3 meals, no snacks today. I get into trouble snacking too much and on the wrong things.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 am

I got "The Starch Solution" from the library yesterday. I went and picked it up on my lunch hour. I am up to chapter 3. It is really motivating me to focus on eating more starch. I ate my oatmeal this morning and then had a bagel too. I'm worried about eating too many calories but am trying to just really focus on getting away from dairy (especially the high fat stuff I was eating daily) and oils and nuts. Hope that this is the motivation I need to get with the program and stick with it. I've been cooking lots of Mary's recipes this week and my family is enjoying them. My dh didn't miss the dairy in the cream of broccoli soup this morning. :)
woods38

Postby woods38 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 am

So, I just had a wonderful lunch of a heaping cup of mashed potatoes, heaping 1/2 cup veggie chili, tossed salad, applesauce, and 2 rice cakes. I feel really good. Satisfied.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:02 am

Time flies! Haven't posted and haven't been compliant except for yesterday when I got my act together.

Yesterday I ate:
8 potatoes (medium)
6 slices light whole wheat bread
orange, banana
2 cups salad
1 carrot
2 small tomatoes
1 dill pickle, mustard
1 box frozen squash
1 cup of chickpeas

I was FULL and I liked it. I don't know what will happen with my weight but I'm willing to give it a try. I realize that in the back of my mind I worry that this won't work and that I need to count my points instead but I want to focus on health and a new way of eating that is easier to follow and less compulsive than counting everything. I don't like portion control. I like to eat a lot. I know this plan is right for me. I just need to believe it will work and stick with it and figure out how to make it work for me.
woods38

Postby fostermom4 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 pm

The last ten pounds can be difficult to lose.

Being a "yo-yo" in compliance usually means up a pound, down a pound (etc, etc, etc!) and NEVER making it to goal weight.

I like feeling full too, and as long as I'm on plan, I never gain weight. Just a few "cheats" puts ON weight, even if I don't over eat.

It's so much easier on your emotional health (and so much better for your physical health) to determine NOT to cheat. Do it one meal at a time (just for THIS meal, I will NOT eat off plan)...just for this hour, I will not cheat...just for this minute...! I am free to eat ALL I want of anything in the fridge--(make sure nothing illegal is in there!) Or chew gum whenever there's something tempting around, so it's more difficult to put a taste of whatever in your mouth.

Make sure there is plenty to eat on plan. (Sounds like you have a supportive husband and you have great meals). Make sure to get in a 30 minute walk too. (Even if on plan, I won't lose weight unless exercising.)

You are correct--you CAN do this! Why not decide to lose one pound TODAY and resolve that every day? It will happen! Good luck!
fostermom4

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning