Burning tongue

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Burning tongue

Postby dalbritton » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:54 am

Does anyone else have a tongue which always feels as if it is recovering from being burned? What can I do about it? The tongue sensation has only appeared in the last few months, but I have been suffereing from GERD for a couple of years now.
dalbritton

Re: Burning tongue

Postby CarolynA » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:17 pm

I have never had this, but I hope that you find an answer! :)
I am worth it!
CarolynA

Postby kirstykay » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 am

I have no idea for sure, but I'm wondering if you are eating a lot of citrus? Sometimes if I have too much citrus food, my tongue sort of "burns." Just a thought.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby MommaLuna » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 am

I too have this "burning tongue." Mine comes on in the night, seems to start heaingl itself during the day and starts again at night. I rather put it on open mouth night breathing as my whole mouth seems dry. And I've even noticed the slack jaw happening when I doze in a chair sitting upright. I've asked my husband to check for me but he says 'It's dark, I can't see!"

When it first started (December) I looked on Google and found it to be a symptom of menopause. Don't know if this fits you or not but I've been post menopausal for 12 years so seems funny to start now.

During regular exams I had my GP and dental hygienist look at my tongue. They both made comments about "interesting" "Huh" and kind of went to the next subject.

Now we've had a few good days of warm sunshiny weather and it really seems better. Maybe the open mouth breathing of heated air?? I just want it to go away!
MommaLuna

Postby dalbritton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 am

Yes, I am post menopausal, and I agree that it does seem odd for something menopause-related to be just starting now.

I take NO medicines, not even a vitamin.

Although the sensation varies in intensity, I have not noticed it varying according to the times of the day. I will start paying attention to that now, though.
dalbritton

Postby Kimberlee » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:25 pm

I looked up burning tongue issues, and it may be connected to a deficiency in a vitamin, especially B12. I would go to your doctor and have vitamin levels checked.

Here's an article on livestrong about it:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28515 ... iciencies/

It says, "Any B vitamin deficiency, but especially B12, may also lead to burning and tingling of your tongue,

I'm definitely not a medical person, so I encourage you to get it checked. I'm going in myself to get lab work done on Friday. I have been taking vitamins lately, so I don't know if I have any problems. But I do remember when I was eating meat, I had this problem and I started taking vitamins and it went away.

I hope this helps,

-Kim
I am the Bread of Life. He who comes to Me will never be hungry.
John 6:34-36

Kimberlee

Postby MommaLuna » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks, Kimberlee, for the link. My first thought was b12 deficiency when the whole tongue burning started in December. I was tested last July and I was at a high level although I can't find the exact results right now. I will have another test done in July of this year. My understanding that it takes about 3 years to deplete Vit b12 lessened my concerns about that deficiency. and I do take b12 twice a week.

But I sure would like to find out what is causing this. Things that happen in the daytime are just things but when they happen at night and keep me from sleeping, or wake me up, ohhh that's bad! :angry:

BTW, I changed toothpaste thinking that might help but wasn't the solution!

Linda

Oh, and Dalbritton, I do have the burning during the day it's just not as noticeable to me as at night. :cry:
MommaLuna

Postby dalbritton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:22 pm

the D in Dalbritton stands for--
Donna

..and with a name like Donna, you can guess EXACTLY what decade I grew up in !!!
dalbritton

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning