Committed to Change

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Committed to Change

Postby Silver » Fri May 04, 2012 8:34 pm

MEXICAN NIGHT!

This was dinner the past two nights. I have been tweaking this dinner for quite some time and I came up with something my husband and I really liked.

Brown Rice - leftover cold
Black Beans - canned salt free, of course
Frozen Corn - I use two kinds. Petite White and Sweet Yellow.
Cabbage - chopped very finely (this really made a difference)
Salsa - your favorite home-made or ff store-bought.

I added the Salsa last. Just mix the first ingredients to a good looking even-mix and then add in the Salsa so it is not too soupy. Warm this mixture up in the microwave and serve over a combination of Romaine Lettuce, Spring Mix, and Spinach.

If you can have it in your meal plan, add a small amount of chopped pepitas and/or about 1/2 of a corn tortilla, crisped and crumbled on the top. Serve with Jicama on the side.

Yummy!

Of course you can add in other veggies. Sometimes we use roasted peppers, celery, etc. But the above concoction was what we liked the best.

I have stopped the smoothies for breakfast. This morning I had some watermelon and then later for a snack some grapefruit. It was a very busy day and I was not that hungry so that was breakfast and lunch. Then we had an early dinner. Well early for us - 5:30. Usually we eat much later. Last night it was 9:00. I don't usually like to eat that late but some evenings my husband rides his bike and I wasn't hungry so I just waited for him.

I am up to 8 minutes, twice a day, on the rower. So far, no additional pain in the hip.

I haven't had back pain today, but felt twinges several times when I moved a certain way. The wrist is getting a little better I think. A little more pain in the foot today, but I did the dog walk last night. No change in the pain in the butt.
Silver

Postby Silver » Sun May 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Had an unfortunate encounter with pistachios last night. :eek:
Silver

Postby CarolynA » Tue May 08, 2012 8:38 am

What happened with the pistachios? Are you allergic? I have never had a problem with nuts, but I have to be careful about overdoing it with corn. I hope that you are doing okay!
I am worth it!
CarolynA

Postby lmggallagher » Tue May 08, 2012 1:04 pm

For me -- an unfortunate encounter with pistachios would be - first they were there and then they were not - oops, I ate them all. Hehehehe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lmggallagher

Postby Silver » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:58 am

Posting for my future reference:

John McDougall wrote:I have made that same conclusion and have often threatened to reverse the order on the buffet table so that people eat their salad last like I hear they do in Europe.

I teach the Maximum Weight Loss Program (an approach which emphasizes green and yellow vegetables) less enthusiastically than before because people do not do well in short and long term without the starch.

Short term they don't like the food as well, are hungry between meals, and have intestinal distress (gas and pain and upper acid indigestion).

Long term, without satisfaction delivered by starches, compliance falls off.

I believe in a starch-based diet -- green and yellow vegetables and salads are side dished.

JohnMcDougall, MD
Silver

Postby Silver » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:20 pm

I am posting this in my journal. It is a timely post for me.

Katydid wrote:Another great post by Emily Boller over on the Diseaseproof.com blog.
Note while reading this that Emily recently suffered the loss of her son, Daniel.

Excerpt:

The Refrigerator is Never the Solution

Emotional health is never achieved via the refrigerator, cupboard, or drive-thru, that's for sure.

No matter how much we try to keep stress out of our lives, we all have *stuff* to deal with on a daily basis . . . .it is called living life.
Life is full of ups and downs, joys and sorrows, pleasures and pains; it's what makes our lives interesting. We are who we are today due to the experiences that we've all lived through: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

We must separate food from this day-to-day stuff that we experience. If we don't, we are undone.

And:

Abusing one's body with food, complicates problems, enhances sorrows, and adds an extra layer of fragility and tragedy to life. Addictive food and drugs are never a solution.
You'll be pleasantly surprised just how fulfilling your life really is as you allow the up-and-downs of life polish and refine you; instead of escaping to the refrigerator, cupboard, or drive-thru.

Entire post at:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/in ... ution.html

Kate
Silver

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning