PK - And so it begins.....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

PK - And so it begins.....

Postby PurpleKale » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:01 am

Starting the program today. Terrified I won't be able to do it. I wholly believe in it, but at the same time it's so far off what I normally do that I fear I won't be able to keep it up.

I'll probably be posting here a lot, instead of on Facebook or my blog, since nearly everyone I know thinks I'm crazy to do this. Historically I've tried over and over to go plant-based and just ended up sick, so no one is really on board this time.

My getting sick is due in large part to my habit of just not eating if I don't know what to eat; coupled with not liking a lot of vegetables. So that means that when I go plant-based, I eliminate most of the things I eat, and then don't like what's left, and end up not eating much at all, until my anemia worsens and I feel terrible. Surprisingly during this process I rarely lose weight, so it isn't even successful on that score.

I'm hoping the thing that's different with McDougall is starch; in past attempts, I have rejected starch in favor of eating more raw fruits and veggies (supposedly - I never seem to get that many veggies into me). I have believed, until now, the common "wisdom" that starch = weight gain. This time, with starch as my base, I'm hoping I'll do okay in terms of getting enough calories and nutrients to keep me going as I learn the ropes, instead of weakening and feeling sick and petering out after a couple weeks.

I have several McD cookbooks, the video, Jeff's Fast Food and his anti-oils video, and I'm printing out the recipes pinned in the discussion board. Seems like I should be off to a good start!
Last edited by PurpleKale on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleKale

Re: PK - And so it begins.....

Postby Maer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Go for it! I'm still working on it, too.

Why don't you post occasionally exactly what you're eating? I'm always interested to see what people come up with, and you might be interested to read back over it to, after you've been doing this awhile.

Sounds like the oncology massage classes should keep your mind on good health!

Maer
Maer

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning