60-Day Commitment Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

60-Day Commitment Journal

Postby proverbs31woman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:50 pm

I embarking on another challenge: to stay committed to the plan for 60 days in order to see great results.

So far, I have two days under my belt. I'm following a modified version of the MWL plan. I plan to eat mostly MWL with no more than one serving of a flour product per day, and as the days progress, I plan to gradually cut down from no more than one serving to none. Also, I plan to allow myself to have one cheat meal a week. That's one meal that's McDougall approved but may not be MWL. After I reach the 60 day mark, I plan to follow mostly the MWL with a few regular McDougall treats.

In order to avoid being obsessive about what the scale says, I plan to weigh myself every 10 days rather than every week. I'm not really sure what my starting weight is because I'm trying to avoid weighing myself, then being depressed because I've gained a little, so let's just say that it's somewhere between 168 and 170 lbs. Hopefully, I will lose at least 3 lbs. in the next ten, and be the end of the 60 days, I'm sure I'll be a different person. I'll be much light, fitter, and I'll be wearing a smaller size. I would like to be at least 20 pounds lighter.
proverbs31woman

Re: 60-Day Commitment Journal

Postby janluvs2heel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 pm

I think not weighing yourself is a good idea. I have actually been thinking about doing that as well, weighing only every few weeks. I dont know if I could stay off the scale for an entire month. But I might try it. I try to not get too obsessive about what the scale says, I know if I am on plan or not & also if I am losing or not, as my clothes will be getting looser if I am on plan. I was doing the MWL weigh in but decided to stop as I just get weird, it just feels too much like WW did. I never plateau, no reason to if you are still aways from your goal weight, but to have to report a gain, even if you did not eat off plan is hard & always makes me feel guilty, even though I have no reason to. And then I dont want to make excuses about my "gain", because that just sounds phony. So I just stopped posting, dont need anymore stress in my life for now.

Good luck on your 60 days. I am curious to see how not weighing every week works out. For you & for me. :nod:
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby proverbs31woman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Jan,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message. I've been on the not weighing in weekly tip for about three months now, and it has made me feel so free. I like the idea of focusing on the way my clothes fit and the way I feel rather what number comes up on the scaleon a certain day. Actually, weighing in every 10 days will be more often than what I've been doing lately, and hopefully, I can make a lot of progress doing it this way. I just know that if I stick to the plan, I will lose weight and feel better.

Today was my 6th day on plan, so I have 54 more days to go. I was quite active today. I found a way to do my homework and exercise at the same time. I went into the den, and I walked around in a circle while I read. I also did some squats, push ups, and crunches while reading as well. I think I will try to continue doing that on Sundays and Thursdays, and I will go to the BodyWorks class at the gym on Tuesdays.

On the other days, I may continue to enjoy a 10-minute walk either with one of our dogs or pushing my daughter in her stroller. I think it'll do me some good to walk every day for at least 10 minutes. I will also continue taking the stairs at work and standing instead of sitting when I can. I've also put a reminder on my phone to alert me to get moving every hour throughout the day.

I may not be checking in on here for the next two weeks, but I hope that when I return I'll have a good report.
proverbs31woman

Postby kirstykay » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:52 pm

I really like your new challenge, Proverbs! I think it's a great plan to weigh in every 10 days, and to think in terms of the next 60 days instead of the next 30...you can do a lot to reset your tastes and your mind in 60 days. I think you will do very well! Keep up the great work! I look forward to hearing all about your success!
Peace :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby proverbs31woman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for stopping by, kristykay!

I took a break from the site because I was fasting from the internet and TV.  I'm back now.   

I lost 4 lbs. in 10 days by eating on plan, but I gained it all back after I convinced myself that I deserved a treat and that led to eating several off-plan meals.   I found myself in "the pleasure trap."

I've learned that I need to focus on eating on plan rather than focusing on weight loss because if I lose weight I think that I can take it easy and have a treat.   Plus, I want to get pregnant soon, and when I'm pregnant, I won't be losing weight, so I'll have to be committed to eating on plan more than anything.   

I'm back on plan now, and my goal each day is to stick to the plan and stay active as much as I can.   I also plan to participate in this forum more.   This is my support group.
proverbs31woman

Postby Norm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:54 am

proverbs31woman wrote:I've learned that I need to focus on eating on plan rather than focusing on weight loss because if I lose weight I think that I can take it easy and have a treat.

My suggestion is to make rewards for weight loss success something other than food. Make these rewards something nice and enjoyable but do not let food ever be a reward for success!!! It's a recipe for failure.

I'm not saying you can't have treats!! I think they're important!! But treats should be small and part of your regular planned food intake. As much as possible treats should not be food that is bad for you. They can be as simple as a special piece of fruit for dessert. Or you can view the foods we are allowed to eat on the regular plan in small quantities as your "treats".

Above all, never have any food you have addiction problems with as a treat, whether that food be on plan or not. Toying with foods we have addictions with is never a treat. It's only torture, and leads to failure.

Good luck!

-Norm
Norm

Postby carollynne » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi!! I shall agree with Norm, and say that too!
welcome and I love your name too! hope it is going well!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby proverbs31woman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks for the advice, Norm. You are sooooo right. I don't "intend" to reward myself with bad foods; I just finda way to justify eating them.

Carollyne, thanks for your comments as well! I appreciate the support. That's why I love this discussion board.
proverbs31woman

Postby proverbs31woman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 pm

I've been eating on plan about 95% of the time (ate a few off-plan chips). Plan to get stricter tomorrow. I'm glad I resisted eating some noodles and chicken today. I hate having to use my will power. I wish this came easily, but I know it eventually will if I stick to it.
proverbs31woman

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning