My carrot killing escapades

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My carrot killing escapades

Postby carrotkilla » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Actually this is my first Passover keeping kosher. My husband and I plan on converting officially when he gets back from Afghanistan. I am around Ashkenazic Jews more so I was going to follow their tradition but I am leaning to going with the Sephardic tradition so I won't starve :lol: I know I won't starve either way.

It is definitely a learning process though and super exciting. I get to go to my first Passover Seder on Friday and I am super nervous that I will do something terrible. :oops:
carrotkilla

Postby carollynne » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:24 am

Carrotkilla, I love your name, BTW!! I love carrots! Sounds so wonderful about your religious events coming up. The Jewish Faith is so beautiful. You will be very happy!
You're doing great, and so it is wonderful that you have these plans for when he returns from overseas. Your parents will have to accept that you are an adult and they will. And they will respect you for your choices too.
Have a great day and a wonderful Passover!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Riva » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:07 am

Yes, that is the distinction. Growing up on the East Coast I never heard of Sephardic Jews. Once I moved to the West...wow! I learned a lot.

Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby carrotkilla » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm

So today was a pretty good day eating wise. It was especially good compared to yesterday. :( Yesterday I ate Indian food which is okay but then I got the dessert which I think had some kind of dairy in it. I thought about not eating it. It had a weird cheesy flavor which was gross tasting and good at the same time. I of course ate it all. I weighed myself this morning and it was not pretty. I try to only weigh myself on Mondays but I was curious after the gorging on Indian food. I was up a pound. Ugh. So today I am back to being good and not falling for dessert. My bananas are almost ready for freezing for my ice cream. I need it back in my life. It is a crutch.

Today I also had no energy at all. I am guessing it was from all the food last night. I slept 10 hours last night and still took a four hour "nap".

I think I need more veggies and exercise in my life.
carrotkilla

Postby carrotkilla » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:33 pm

I did not die at the Seder!! Lol I did eat some questionable food def vegetarian but I am guessing not vegan. Passover seems to have eggs in everything. At least I won't miss the eggs like I would if it were cheese or something.

Sugar is killing me though. So many sweets. I am slightly worried about my weigh in tomorrow morning. At this point I might just be happy if I didn't gain weight :? I guess I will just see and try to do better.

I did some slight exercise this weekend. Barely enough to count but it was something. My daughter said something so weird and surprising. I was dribbling a soccer ball to take a shot on goal and she said "I didn't know you could run that fast." I wasn't even going fast though which makes it kind of worse. This week I am planning to go running with her at the track and play soccer afterwards I think. She doesn't have practice because it is spring break so she will be happy.

I did notice that while she is not overweight she is one of the slowest members of the team. Obviously I didn't teach her to run around enough, she does play outside but I think it is mostly digging and catching bugs with no running really. This week we will both work on that. ;-)
carrotkilla

Postby Loveskale » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:31 am

Hey Carrotkilla:

I read your first post and I have some tips about IBS.

-dairy and oil are the biggest culprits. Do your best to avoid these! :nod:
-drink lots of water
-avoid caffeine and see if it bothers you
-this way of eating is the best possible thing that you can do for youself because it works!

Also, stress has a way to creeping up on you. I hope that everything is ok! :)
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby carrotkilla » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am

My IBS actually seems to not be affecting me atm. I hope it continues this way. :nod: I am starting to get a bit stressed from all the school work I need to do but hopefully I will be fine.

My weigh in this Monday was anticlimactic. I only lost 1.8 lbs. I know it was all the treat eating I was doing. At least it was a lost and not a gain like I was scared of. Just need to keep on keeping on.
carrotkilla

Postby carrotkilla » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:45 am

Okay today I am reaffirming my commitment to this WOE. I have straying a bit from the path of good health/weight and I need to get myself back on track.

I have a goal and I need to fulfill it. So NO more vegan sweets. No more matzoh. I will eat regular meals and I will cook and not take the easy way out by having a crappy for me snack. I need to lose weight for my health and for me to feel happier about myself. I CAN do this and I WILL get it done!

I need to exercise as well as eat right. I need to get my self in gear.

I cannot do this with just one or the other I NEED BOTH!

(okay done with pep talk to self!)
carrotkilla

Postby carrotkilla » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:51 pm

I did so terrible last week that I lost almost nothing. :( So yesterday I did a fast day. I think I read on here somewhere that it is supposed to reset taste buds. I am off to a good start today. I think last week I was stressed about the upcoming date that the baby I miscarried was due. It kind of brought up a lot of sadness and pain. I know I will get through the due date (Friday). I am just afraid I will end up eating an entire cake for a meal. Lol
I am restricting my eating out this week. The plan is for eating at home all week. I am terrible about eating out, especially delicious delicious Indian Food. Seriously I could live off of it. Every time I make it though it tastes of death and I usually cook pretty well (at least SAD food).

My McD. cooking skills are still terrible. I bought the Forks over Knives book for the recipes. I need the help!
carrotkilla

Postby carrotkilla » Tue May 29, 2012 1:18 pm

So I am still alive! Lol my husband came to visit me from Afghanistan so I was super busy with him :-D It was also my big 3-0th birthday! I skipped the weigh ins while he was here because I was terrified that I would gain weight. I didn't gain any weight while he was here but I sure didn't lose any. We ate out A LOT. We went on a trip to DC and went to visit friends/family. It was fun but my diet was not the best. I even started getting some IBS issues :oops: I was still eating vegan but a higher fat vegan diet with probably a ton of oil/fat.

I am feeling a lot better since I fixed my diet back and have lost a few pounds. I am just worried that when he comes back for good my weight loss with stop or, even worse, I will gain. I usually gain weight when he is around. He of course lost 5 lbs, eating mostly vegan, off of his already slender frame. :roll:

I wish I could lose weight like him. He has never even been close to overweight. I just need to realize that when he wants to eat those fatty foods I can not partake. :angry:
carrotkilla

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning