Second attempt, 12 years later

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Second attempt, 12 years later

Postby markbr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 am

Hi all.
48 year old male, 6'3", 267 pounds on Feb 27.
Last 3 BP readings were very high, last one on Feb 26th (drug store machine) was 160/101. I know there are no points for high score, so I dusted off the 4 McDougall books I bought 12 years ago, and started on the 27th of feb.

Today, weigh 255 ( not on maximum weight loss, just eliminated meat and dairy and sticking with approved foods)

BP this morning at same machine 127/85.

Feel better, sleeping better, and overall very happy with the start.

Watched the DvD "the pleasure trap" last night to help me stay motivated.
I figured that journaling will also help (did the WW thing for 3 years, writing about progress helped then).

thanks,

Mark
markbr

Re: Second attempt, 12 years later

Postby KristaO » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 am

Congrats on the weight loss and lowering your blood pressure naturally. That's awesome! Watching DVDs and getting support on this forum will help. Keep up the good work!!
~krista

http://ParadiseValleyMusic.com
KristaO

Postby toadfood » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:27 am

Great progress! Keep sharing!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby blue » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Mark!
Congrats! You're already seeing great results :)

Just keep at it, you're on the right track.

Blue
Success using WFPB diet to avoid steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica. I don't hurt anymore :)
blue

Postby giddyupgin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Welcome back....you are in the right place..here on this site...keep it coming....
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby Birdy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Wow Mark, you're off to an amazing start. I look forward to reading about your progress!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby markbr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 am

Checked the BP again this morning. 125/85. Holding steady there lately. weight 253. So, 14 pounds in 15 days. I expect that to slow down now, but I feel really good. I am curious to see if I have "seasonal allergies" that i suddenly got at the age of 40. So far, nothing, and that is a welcome benefit.

Typical breakfast - Kashi puffs cereal with Fruit and Rice Dream. or oatmeal
Snack - Carrot sticks and another fruit.
Lunch - one or two potatoes with salsa/pasta sauce/bbq sauce and some veggies. Sometimes hummos and veggies and bread.

Dinner varies - pasta - Salad with bread - bean burritos
Tonight it is brown rice with red and orange peppers, pea pods and broccoli. I will douse mine in salsa...

I knew this before, as I bought the books 12 years ago. But this works. It seems easier now for a variety of reasons. My wife saw the blood pressure numbers, and sees the change, so she is more supportive. Our kids are older, so that is not a battle. They can eat what they will. I am just trying to be healthier, and I KNOW that this works. The extended family is not as, well...influential as they once were. So, the "group/peer" pressure is not there.

The biggest thing that I am noticing is, I am not going hungry. When I did WW for 3 years, it seemed I was ALWAYS hungry.
I broke out the bread machine, since the "good" bread seems to be 5 bucks a loaf, and have made two loaves of whole wheat bread that is very satisfying.

When out walking last night, lots of folks were grilling. Love that smell. So, this weekend, I am grilling some portobello mushrooms and making some sweet potato fries. Looking forward to that.

Have a great day all!
markbr

Postby markbr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 am

30 days, 17 pounds, and Bp is hanging around 125/85.
I now weigh 250, clothes are fitting better, and the new way of eating is going very well. Finding great recipes here, and eating more veggies.
Twice I ate out in those 30 days. Stayed vegan, but I know the fat content was higher than it should be for those meals.

Today, breakfast - Kashi heart healthy with rice dream.
Snack - apple
Lunch - two baked potatoes with leftover pasta sauce from last nights dinner (tomato sauce with orange and yellow and red peppers and red onion and basil)
Dinner - Salad with Cauliflower and Asparagus and ff french dressing
and a chunk of home-made wheat bread

I will be adding some exercise, as I have just been walking. Time to kick it in, as 250 seams to be a plateau.
markbr

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning